Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭brickster69

JimToken wrote: »
    The martians have landed

And the same number of people were killed by them today as Covid.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Donnelly is talking sense. Moving from level 2 to level 5 in 72 hours was never gonna work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

briany wrote: »
    What I will say is that if cases were allowed to continue to rise and hospitals start to overflow, those who are vehemently against lockdowns would probably run for cover.

Cases may continue to rise under Level 5. If they do, scapegoating will be used to deflect from the fact that no one knows if or how lockdowns affect causality.

The belief in a simple a to b causality would be comical except that people are usually completely straight-faced serious - with five different people assigning causality to each of five different factors and them all calling each other stupid or liars in a circle of bickering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Belgians have gone to level 5

Only essential businesses like chocolate factories staying open

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Genuinely not meant as a smart answer, but at 66 he can apply for his pension.
    That's less than €250pw. If he was open he'd be paying two employees €500 each, as well as making an extra grand for himself and another grand to put back into the business. That figure rises and rises coming up to Christmas. You do the maths on what tax revenue is lost out on, with him closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Nphet letter predicts 50 daily cases by Christmas after six-week lockdown.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishTimesPol/status/1318292471835602949

Interesting to see if it works out.

It will prove schools aren't the problem if it's only 50 cases a day by xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Arghus wrote: »
    I think they wisely decided not to have Leo and Tony at the same press conference.

Indeed. I'd strangle him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

is_that_so wrote: »
    The fines need legislation by the Dail, some elements of enforcement most likely as well.

Oh here we go team fines and enforcement. ..

Legislation before Dail tomorow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

US2 wrote: »
    It's not a national lockdown. Schools, Construction work, manufacturing factorys still open. Hotels open. Weddings allowed.

It's actually as watered down a version of L5 as one could imagine and it certainly won't be enough. Real fear of Xmas trade being a right off now also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Very very dangerous not closing schools down. If this watered down L5 doesn't work and cases remain to rise because of the schools Xmas trade will also be lost as measures will be extended.

There is a general tendency to over simply virus spread into having an impact/not having an impact, or safe/unsafe, or this is safer than that therefore we should not be be prevented from doing this. etc.
    But it cannot be looked at in this black and white manner.

The chain of transmission has many many links, and all contribute to the overall spread and R0. Individual factors have greater or lesser contributions, and also have different levels of importance to society in general. It is never true to say schools are or are not having an impact. Whereever people interface, there is an impact.

The task of the politicians is to weigh up the sum of all factors contributing to spread, and weigh up the the impact on society, health, and the economy of curtailing these activities to varying degrees, and balancing those two elements with the capability of the health service to handle the caseload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

25 at a wedding but 10 at a funeral??

Is that a sick twisted joke??????

Would love to hear the logic behind this

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

do new restrictions mean gyms closed now too?
    Yeah it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE News Now for the questions and answers

RTE one should have been showing this

Claire Byrne after

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What is deemed essential travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Mass testing in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

The government need box office new cases tomorrow.

Need a vaccine more so

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

KungPao wrote: »
    I'd do anything to get it installed.

They will be classed as essential workers, no problem them visiting your home to complete the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gael23 wrote: »
    Shopping, going to work, caring for a family member. Things you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mass testing in schools?
    What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

growleaves wrote: »
    Cases may continue to rise under Level 5. If they do, scapegoating will be used to deflect from the fact that no one knows if or how lockdowns affect causality.

The belief in a simple a to b causality would be comical except that people are usually completely straight-faced serious - with five different people assigning causality to each of five different factors and them all calling each other stupid or liars in a circle of bickering.

And if numbers do fall, as they did with the first lockdown, would you concede that maybe there's a tiny teeny weeny miniscule chance that there's a link between lockdowns and suppressing the virus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone know if the likes of physios are closed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So when does Level 5 kick in and again schools open and sports still going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Leo said Tuesday night/Wednesday morning in press conference. So it’s from tomorrow Tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Tandey wrote: »
    So the meat factories are staying open?

Please tell me this is some sick joke.

And ah where will your food come from.farmers need to have cattle that are fit for slaughter sold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Is it essential?
    Yep.

Current system on the fritz. I take home security serious - we're in the high season for unwanted visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This breaking story could eclipse the Level 5 announcement. Brace yourself...

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2020/10/19/divers-find-dolphin-mass-grave-in-dingle/

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Gael23 wrote: »

Work, if your presence is essential, education, health appointments, care for a vulnerable person

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

gmisk wrote: »
    What do you think?

I think its funny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

We really should sell this magic forcefield that we have around schools to other countries.
    We’d pay off our debt in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s gas. I have to get my car serviced next week. I will have to hide from the guards while waiting for it as I will be more than 5k from home. It’s a mad world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement