Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It was finals and celebrations that caused those clusters.

I suspect that the championship will not be completed.

If it won’t be completed why don’t the thick fcukers not start it and reduce the risks of infecting more people

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The visiting the grave exemption is a nice one to have in the back pocket if you are stopped at a checkpoint, obviously it will only work during daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

GAA need to look at themselves now. They obviously have great influence with Gov. That worries me a bit now.

If they decided to suspend everything voluntarily they would garner a lot of respect. But no.

There is money in the mix somewhere I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

niallo27 wrote: »
    This will backfire on them i think, people have enough. Fairly even split on here on these restrictions. People will break these restrictions and I don't really blame them.

I blame them.

I absolutely don’t agree with this lockdown but the government are making the decision for what they believe to be the right reasons. We owe it to each other to observe the restrictions unless there are exceptional circumstances.

None of us like this but it’d be incredibly selfish to think you’re above the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

-Taoiseach, can I go buy a pint of milk if the shop is 5.1 km away?

- Well first of all let me state that the opposition was very keen on this point, and it's a similar point they've introduced in Britain. There are important issues here regarding schools, and we want to assure that the NPHET advice is being taken on board. We are very conscious of mental health. Sorry, what was the question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

galtsdrift wrote: »
    Advice, please. Am I able to drop someone from the south to Belfast Airport on Wednesday? They need to get home to their family before the lockdown and Belfast will get them to London

I have southern plates on my car too

You can do what you like Pal. There'll be no hassle.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

New thread BEASTY

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

THANKS. CHINA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

niallo27 wrote: »
    This will backfire on them i think, people have enough. Fairly even split on here on these restrictions. People will break these restrictions and I don't really blame them.

That's fair enough just don't be moaning when they have to extend them and close schools in a few weeks because you and your ilk break them now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Advice, please. Am I able to drop someone from the south to Belfast Airport on Wednesday? They need to get home to their family before the lockdown and Belfast will get them to London

Are they working in construction?

Could they put on their workgear and say they're on their way to the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Level 4 is working just Dandy in Cavan. Who says its not working?:confused:

Claire Byrne and McConkey said it didn't work, like its in for four days FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,252 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

billyhead wrote: »
    It's from Wednesday night not tomorrow.

Yes when someone yes Wednesday midnight it means Wednesday night into Thursday morning. Has been the same anytime they say something will come into effect

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭PhantomHat

ShadowTech wrote: »
    Public life here is already so heavily curtailed under the current restrictions that it's hard to see how a further lockdown is going to do much. Already we can't go to museums or art exhibits, listen to live music, go to sporting events, or eat inside a restaurant. Dublin city centre is barely a shell of its former self at the best of times now and other than small groups of people huddled under blankets, or if they're lucky heat lamps, eating a quiet dinner there is no public life to speak of after 7 in the evenings.

For months now we've been told that the biggest concern is private gatherings. I'm not using the words "house parties" because they immediately conjure images of drunken debauchery. NPHET have specifically stated that it's meeting friends and family in their homes for lunches, dinners, tea, drinks, whatever that are the biggest drivers of spread currently.

So the solution that NPHET and the government invented is.... to completely lock down public life?! This is so incredibly irrational! It's clear as day that this will only lead people to have more visits in private residences. Say what you want about 5km limits and fines; I have a bridge to sell you if you believe the majority of people in this country are going to go another 6 weeks without seeing friends and family (realistically given that the first lockdown was supposed to last 2 weeks and lasted 3 months instead I'm going to guess we're looking at 9 months to a year this time). Anecdotally I'm hearing from people in my job who followed everything to the letter in April that they will not go months without seeing their family and friends again.

The truth is, NPHET doesn't know exactly where cases are coming from; they said as much themselves a few weeks ago when they admitted there is no back-tracing to understand the origin of the spread. Shutting everything down is just shooting in the dark hoping something works and it's being done at the expense of hundreds of thousands of people's livelihoods and millions of people's quality of life. It also seems unlikely to work in any dramatic way unless they somehow get the public to buy in to not visiting each other's homes.

Frankly, on an individual level, they've lost me entirely. I was so proud of our response at the start of this. I believed that there would be a partnership between the medical experts on NPHET and the government who would look after the broader needs of society. At that time the government and the HSE took bold steps to ensure hospital capacity and they promised to ensure we'd be ready for the winter. I never in my wildest dreams would have imagined that things would reach this juncture. The government is an utter shambles and I don't trust the experts in NPHET anymore.

Neither entity ever provides metrics for their decision making. Now that we have over 1,000 cases a day the CMO is concerned. Back in June when we had 10 cases a day the CMO was concerned. When everything is priority nothing is. Now we're being told 6 weeks of lockdown with a review at 4 weeks. Why? This is, pardon my language, bullsh*t. It's not the amount of time that matters, its the metric(s) they will evaluate at that time that matter. What are we aiming for? How can anyone trust the experts when they don't show their work?

What's more, there is a small but growing contrarian view amongst medical professionals that lockdowns are not the way to go and that we should consider revamping our approach. This is met with forced resignations and character assassinations. Covid is the single most impactful event in our lives at present and yet dissenting voices are expunged or denigrated. This is literally the antithesis of a science-driven approach where ideas are questioned, tested, and reevaluated.

I have never protested before and I don't share the politics of the people organising the current anti-lockdown protests but I really don't see any other viable alternative at this point.

Great post. I'd love to know what the breakdown of the public support is for this. I'd imagine the media would have you think we are mostly for this lockdown which I personally find it hard to believe. It must be said there are many that hang on every word RTE tells them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

s1ippy wrote: »
    Cherish the teachers but don't allow them to have a safe working environment.

And what did the health care workers get?
    A fcukin round of applause from the paddywhackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We had six months

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ffs, they don't even know the actual day it starts, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Who will police that?

Who will micromanage and analyze the data for that area?

Define the area? (City/county/parish/housing estate)

How would they Inform the public of the area specific rules?

They tried this and it’s failed as evident from the huge spike in numbers.

The area is county Dublin. They were able to put it into level 3 on its own.

The numbers there were tracked by nphet.

If they put it up to level 3 they could bring it down to level 2. But the numbers then started going the wrong way, and that never happened.

But to say it should have been jumped from level 3 to level 5 when numbers were falling is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Christmas for most people is more that a turkey dinner. Its about the office parties, the pubs, the drinking, the meeting friends that have also come home, its the bringing of extended family together.

Even at 50 cases a day, that's not happening. We need to be honest with ourselves.

And we also need to be honest about why this is happening here - Maybe its cultural with the "ah shur be grand attitude", but its simply because there are a large minority, or maybe even a majority now that think themselves exempt, above it. And the result is that those that are willing to make the sacrifices will be effectively asked to double down for those that won't.

Not sure its a sur be grand attitude I think many Irish just don't like being told what to do. Maybe it's do with when the british ruled but many just like to blame everyone else for their bad behavour.
    People are p*ssed because of these restrictions but those restrictions are there because of the muppets who can't think of anyone less but themselves. You see it on here "I'm still going to visit my family", throwing hissy fits like spoiled children and everyone else is paying the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Akabusi wrote: »
    I think McConkey may be a bit of a Patrick Bateman
    My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone; in fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Leo want to go home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Will Yam wrote: »
    If you read the stats in today’s Irish times, the Covid rate in schools is 1.8/1.9.

In the community at large it’s 7.2%.

Schools are safer than most other places.

What are stats if the data is incomplete...

Students aren’t being tested. My brothers teacher confirmed positive - not one student across her 6 years of classes was tested nor informed. That’s just one example.

Read the teacher threads and posts on here, nobody is being deemed a “close contact”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Arghus wrote: »
    And if numbers do fall, as they did with the first lockdown, would you concede that maybe there's a tiny teeny weeny miniscule chance that there's a link between lockdowns and suppressing the virus?

I acknowledged the last time around that there was a strong correlation that could form the basis for a scientific investigation and for that I was shouted down by many on this forum. Presumably because it would mean conceding there wasn't already cast-iron proof of its effectiveness. People who believe in this theory stop right at the point where they are meant to begin: when you have a theory that seems plausible and convincing that's when you put it through the wringer and question every assumption, not get angry at people who withhold their praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Do the restrictions not come in to place at midnight on Wednesday?

Although the previous restrictions mean no cross-county travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

GAA need to look at themselves now. They obviously have great influence with Gov. That worries me a bit now.

If they decided to suspend everything voluntarily they would garner a lot of respect. But no.

There is money in the mix somewhere I reckon.

30 lads in their 20s meeting sporadically in a field isnt comparable on the risk scale to tens of thousands of late teens meeting indoors daily. This GAA thing is ridiculous how much attention it's getting. The vast majority of people are working from home. Every other sport is playing its elite games

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Level 4 is working just Dandy in Cavan. Who says its not working?:confused:
    Graphs of future transmissions, but maybe not in Cavan. I think it's probably fair to say CMO and most of NPHET are not fans of the patchwork approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

And what did the health care workers get?
    A fcukin round of applause from the paddywhackers.
    Graduate nurses etc got the honour of working on the frontline without getting paid....TYFYS....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Not sure it's even the most mental post on this exact theme in this thread today:
    Well we will have to see

crimnal neglience as far as I am concerned

The nursing home deaths
    not sorting out icu beds/staff in 8+months
    not sorting out contact tracing
    less nurses on full time contracts now than in march
    ruining peoples livelhoods
    causing critical damage to our economy
    damaging the future healthcare of high risk and vulnarable people
    Not following WHO best ptactise

All leading to unnessecary deaths now and in the future

that is a crime in my books against the Irish people

And they cant say the didnt know, myself and others here contacting their tds in february and early march re national issues

And by the way court cases in Germany finding for the people/business and against the German government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Damn it, I was really hoping to be off work for six weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement