Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Like a donkey looking out over a hedge.
    The fcukin waffler.

That's a classic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

yew_tree wrote: »
    The anti GAA brigade are out in force. Fact is all money that the GAA gather goes back into the grassroots. I am involved with my club and the feast of GAA on over the weekend was great and I spoke to older relatives who were overjoyed at being able to watch live games.

The fact is the GAA is not just a sport but it’s a way of life and it’s our identity especially in rural Ireland and now that the dark nights have rolled around I believe for the mental health of the nation during lockdown, these games will be a welcome bit of joy in an otherwise joyless existence we are now living.
    Superspreading p1ssups after games do not paint the GAA in a good light!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Polar101 wrote: »
    -Taoiseach, can I go buy a pint of milk if the shop is 5.1 km away?

- Well first of all let me state that the opposition was very keen on this point, and it's a similar point they've introduced in Britain. There are important issues here regarding schools, and we want to assure that the NPHET advice is being taken on board. We are very conscious of mental health. Sorry, what was the question?

LOL Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lol, dont mention the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Akabusi wrote: »
    Claire Byrne and McConkey said it didn't work, like its in for four days FFS
    McConkey is totally irrelevant "Zero Covid" indeed.
    Case in cavan are stabilising by the day. Be under control this day week I'm willing to bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Headline in Irishtimes "Schools safer than wider community" ..
    that's because there's no testing in schools.. only 6800 nationally to date.. a tiny number. Teacher positive in our school (no students or staff were told let alone close contacts), 4 positive cases in secondary beside us (no close contacts), positive case in 6th class of adjoining school (only pod tested)..
    Schools should definitely stay open but with way more testing.. we have no idea what's going on in schools . .there could be dozens of asymptomatic cases in any of these schools ready to head off and infect vulnerable people.
    The lockdown won't work if they dont start testing widely in schools and close down schools with clusters for 14 days.

Mark my words. Fast forward six weeks. The penny drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Oh eamonn has just said golf courses will be closed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ffs Colm

Still not over that ball he sold us that had a slow puncture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

yew_tree wrote: »
    The anti GAA brigade are out in force. Fact is all money that the GAA gather goes back into the grassroots. I am involved with my club and the feast of GAA on over the weekend was great and I spoke to older relatives who were overjoyed at being able to watch live games.

The fact is the GAA is not just a sport but it’s a way of life and it’s our identity especially in rural Ireland and now that the dark nights have rolled around I believe for the mental health of the nation during lockdown, these games will be a welcome bit of joy in an otherwise joyless existence we are now living.

Lots of things that have been cancelled have an impact on people’s way of life. My own view is that if the GAA had been cancelled there would be pressure from within the organisation for everyone to behave themselves for the greater good of the GAA.

In several counties GAA after parties etc resulted in a multitude of cases. It should have been stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Six weeks of lockdown only to "earn" level three restrictions on 1st December. Not much to look forward to then is there.

• Advertisement
    M

Would facemasks made out of hemp be a gamechanger?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Lol, dont mention the golf.

He already answered

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Colm O Rourke on Claire Byrne just describe the GAA as "the modern opium of the people"...ffs

Honestly f#ck the GAA and their stupid f#cking championship!

67 percent of people don't want the modern opium seemingly....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yew_tree

is_that_so wrote: »
    Superspreading p1ssups after games do not paint the GAA in a good light!

I agree but that won’t happen with the inter county games. With horse racing and league of Ireland continuing then our national games should

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

This lockdown is utter madness- Billions more in social welfare payments - then Brexit on Jan 1st; The tiger recession will look like a Teddy bears picnic when they’re finished- and then on Dec 1st we’re back to square one again with no plan- Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Shops tomorrow will be bedlam. Hearing that the Gardai had to be called to direct traffic out of Nutgrove SC with the sheer number of people shopping today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

UrbanFret wrote: »
    McConkey is totally irrelevant "Zero Covid" indeed.
    Case in cavan are stabilising by the day. Be under control this day week I'm willing to bet.

And NPHET will claim they made the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Driving tests continue under level 5, but anybody know about driving lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

The entire country right now

122113851_10221625080249872_7257238019594679691_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=N-0WqSwjCQ8AX-0GbXA&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=df84b35954431351243b21ffc929f4e4&oe=5FB2DD76

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Six weeks of lockdown only to "earn" level three restrictions on 1st December. Not much to look forward to then is there.
    As others have uncynically observed it's to get shops open for Christmas. Really no guarantee we'll hit Level 3 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Blondini wrote: »
    Mark my words. Fast forward six weeks. The penny drops.

We’ve been hearing that particular mantra since the end of august.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Yes........journo putting it up to MM at last....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Paul McGrath having to lower himself to do that is more upsetting than going to Level 5

I'm very happy to know he's getting the few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Who's the guy asking questions here of Martin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

niallo27 wrote: »
    This will backfire on them i think, people have enough. Fairly even split on here on these restrictions. People will break these restrictions and I don't really blame them.

As every election or referendum seems to show , the population is not reflected in the Boards demographic.

We may not like the restrictions. They will be painful in many ways and they will break our hearts but most people will abide by them.

My daily exercise routine is wiped out, as is meeting up with my friends.
    I have grandchildren 8km away and won't see them now for at least a month instead of daily but we'll try to do our bit and will stick rigidly to the new restrictions.
    Not a happy camper: quite an angry one to be honest: but it is what it is.

Some will break the restrictions but, hopefully, a small minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

MM just said ,”we can borrow through 2021. Approx 20 billion. We need a vaccine though next year. “

Let’s hope one of those works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Note the comparison is between a single match and the entire national population of students.

Other elite sports are professionals and quarantining players and staff while doing regular testing. They are not training or playing matches and going home to family and their mates. And don't tell us county players aren't mixing with the community because they can be seen doing so every day.

Hilarious. Do you realise how few matches the championship will consist of? Half the teams will be out after the first weekend. By the end of weekend 4 you'll have 4 teams left in each. However you have tens of thousands of teenagers meeting 5 days a week, indoors.

And are you for real that Soccer and Rugby players live in some sort of bubble? Do you think the majority of them can afford to live away from families? Half the soccer players are semi pro, so they also have jobs the same as the GAA. There's very little difference between professional and amateur in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Would facemasks made out of hemp be a gamechanger?

Hemp in general could transform the country, but thats another story.

M

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Yes........journo putting it up to MM at last....

He will find himself in a canal end seat for the next presser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Nphet letter predicts 50 daily cases by Christmas after six-week lockdown.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishTimesPol/status/1318292471835602949

Interesting to see if it works out.

It will prove schools aren't the problem if it's only 50 cases a day by xmas.

Too much faith in computer models, garbage in, garbage out.

There's an obvious seasonal effect across Europe right now,across countries that had vastly different levels of restrictions, and this is making it apparent that the 'flattening of the curve' or was also seasonal rather than the first lockdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement