Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

khalessi wrote: »

Kinda handy the HSE are ignoring 2 of the biggest studies to date in the world which both show that children are spreading this in schools and in community, as they dont suit the narrative being put forward.

Can you link the studies please if you have them handy?

Not doubting - completely agree with you - just want to show it to some friends.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Inquitus wrote: »
    With cases rapidly spiraling out of control, we need to do something to arrest the exponential growth of Covid-19. Options are limited, we are looking at:
    • A National move to Level 4 or 5
    • A Regional move to Level 4 or 5 focusing on the worst counties
    • Closing the Schools

There is mixed evidence on the Schools front, but 2 of the biggest studies undertaken have concluded that children of all ages catch and transmit the virus in the same manner as adults, even if they are highly likely to be asymptomatic.

I am not sure why the Government is hell bent on keeping schools open, closing schools would have a much lower impact on the economy than moving to Level 4 or 5.

Dublin is a clear example that Level 3 is not working, 7 and 14 day averages are climbing and we are now close to the end of the 4th week of these restrictions.

Other EU nations are now bringing in more severe lockdown restrictions as the risk to their health services becomes a clear and present danger. Due to decades of underfunding our HSE is more vulnerable than most, and we cannot continue to have 1,000 new cases a day and expect it to cope with the ensuing amount of hospitalisations.

Anyone have any other options that are worth considering?

We've had the restrictions most countries in Europe are now bringing in, in Dublin for 3 and a half weeks but no enforcement

The NI restrictions are not much more than level three for the worst affected area in Europe

I'm lucky in that the restrictions don't impact me as I work from home and have one close contact a week which is when my oh and I meet his son

However this limited lifestyle I think is really starting to affect people to be honest

The mixed messages from government don't help either

I'm starting to wonder if people are developing a let it rip mentality tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

arctictree wrote: »
    So what if nearly everyone gets it? Do we go back to level 0?

COVID street parties, get the positivity rate close to 100% and return to normal in January after we lose around 0.2% of our population.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Information on schools is not presented in a clear easily accessible format. A close contact in the real world is anyone who is less than 2 m apart without a mask for 15 mins - in schools its anything goes. The HSE decide on a case by case basis is a pile of ****e - Primary school children do not wear masks and though they try to be fair SD is very very hard to maintain both in terms if 1 m distance from each pod and staying away from teacher. Teaching is a very very small profession - lots of teachers know each other from courses over the years subs in and out people they trained with etc - there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of decisions made re contact tracing that would leave you genuinely scratching your head. There have been a number of schools closed at this stage due to clusters - trying to find numvers of schools closed is very difficult. Head lice is a notifiable disease as is impetigo yet an adult or child in my room could have a highly contagious disease with potential serious outcomes during a once in a lifetime pandemic and there is a fairly high chance that I won’t be notified. Confidentiality is a great one to hide behind - yet I have access to a range of personnel information often very sensitive on a number of children. I don’t think that schools are a primary driver of infection but I think it is unrealistic to think there is not transmission in schools and the current system does nothing to alleviate concern around transmission.

You teachers have my sympathies.
    It is a disgrace the way this disease is being dealt with in our schools and healthcare services.
    It is a notifiable disease but due to a change in the law in 2016, diseases are no longer considered occupational illnesses so healthcare workers, teachers, retail workers and anyone else on the frontline who picks this up, while at work, are being told they got it somewhere else and sick leave for those adversely affected with long Covid or complications is not covered.
    It's a big mess being stored up for the future here.
    And the HSE and our government are whistling while they pretend it's all OK..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

bb1234567 wrote:
    Anyway the days of us having the strictest rules in Europe are long gone now

In fairness, we never really did.

No fines or real effective enforcement to this day.

We are a nation governed by guidelines which can be ignored in certain cases (see elite sport as an example, or schools as another one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a difference in positivity rate in school aged children. If it's above average, it would suggest it's spreading in schools.
    Just need a journalist to ask for the stats.
    That piece I linked to said a positivity a rate of less than 2% in testing. Recall Glynn giving a similar enough figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

MattS1 wrote: »
    Level 4 and 5 won't do much more. Level 3 is already restrictive. Not eating outdoors won't bring the virus down. Maybe people are just fed up with it...

I think this is a very valid point. Are people catching it in the ‘non-essential’ retail or from grabbing a takeaway coffee? What measures in level 4/5 in particular will impact the numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a difference in positivity rate in school aged children. If it's above average, it would suggest it's spreading in schools.
    Just need a journalist to ask for the stats.

It was asked earlier today... the positivity rate for school kids is ~1.9% compared to ~6% in general.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1316352493035704325

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Europe's now the epicentre of COVID, yet again, reporting about 1/3 of all cases globally the last few days in the continent and about 1 in 4 daily deaths worldwide

Yep. This will continue on with the epicentre moving globally as areas open up and then lockdown.
    This will continue until we reach 70% levels of exposure to covid via a Vaccine or herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

would not surprise me if the goverment have warned the media not to report on school cases.

It is madness that classes are not all tested when someone tests positive.

Probably many of the community transmission cases originated in schools.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yep. This will continue on with the epicentre moving globally as areas open up and then lockdown.
    This will continue until we reach 70% levels of exposure to covid via a Vaccine or herd immunity.
    Herd immunity could take decades and kill a lot of people - it'll be a vaccine /treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Sonny678 wrote: »
    9 teachers in a school in longford have the coronavirus, 6 teachers in a school in Westmeath have the coronavirus and 5 teachers in a school in kildare have coronavirus. And 2 teachers in a neighbouring kildare town in another school have the virus. Again the media are ignoring whats going on in schools.

Close down the schools, teachers go on the PUP. Fair enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

This is exactly what will happen. It's the only way any pandemic has ever ended, except that hopefully a vaccine will arrive quickly!

That would be a sensible move on Level 3.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Herd immunity could take decades and kill a lot of people - it'll be a vaccine /treatments.

Agreed. Herd immunity is a bad idea, However,
    What if there’s no vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

COVID street parties, get the positivity rate close to 100% and return to normal in January after we lose around 0.2% of our population.

0.2% is really fcking optimistic. Assuming we maintained a healthcare capacity to treat every patient the fatality rate is still around 0.6%. If the heath system collapsed that would no longer be the case! You'd also have deaths from multiple other sources due to lack of available healthcare. It would be a major culling event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

arctictree wrote: »
    So what if nearly everyone gets it? Do we go back to level 0?

Yes, but at 1,095 cases a day, and assuming no reinfections, it would take 12 years 3 months for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Whatever changes they make, level 3/4/5 aren't going to make much of a difference anymore - unless they are enforced. People are sick of it.

Martin has ****ed this up. Foley will die on this sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That piece I linked to said a positivity a rate of less than 2% in testing. Recall Glynn giving a similar enough figure.

For close contacts yeah, I'm just wondering of those tested in the age group ranges, what kind of difference in positivity rates. But if the close contact positivity rate for school kids is below the community average that kind of shows that schools can't be driving cases.
    Could be down to kids being in a controlled environment ~6 hrs a day, which could reduce the risk etc...

• Advertisement

Pubs are at fault, schools immune to criticism. Rinse and repeat.

Jesus.
    I hope your joking.

Agreed. Herd immunity is a bad idea, However,
    What if there’s no vaccine?
    With so many prospective candidates we'll get something. We'll also learn more about it in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Benimar wrote: »
    Yes, but at 1,095 cases a day, and assuming no reinfections, it would take 12 years 3 months for that to happen.

It's funny when people say 'let it rip' and then they don't realise just how many years it could take. That's along time to be without a functioning healthcare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

MD1990 wrote: »
    would not surprise me if the goverment have warned the media not to report on school cases.

It is madness that classes are not all tested when someone tests positive.

Probably many of the community transmission cases originated in schools.

And what are the government gonna do if they do report on school numbers??

Some mad conspiracies coming out of this whole pandemic.

With so many prospective candidates we'll get something. We'll also learn more about it in the interim.

How do you know?
    There hasn’t been a vaccine for any corona virus yet.

We can’t keep the economy closed/open/closed indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Doesn't matter. I'm still unemployed because people are acting the b****x.

I feel sorry for you mate, but it wasn’t just people acting the b****x but plenty of people jetted off on their Jollies and brought the virus back...majority of countries in Europe are taking a hiding and it is mostly through travel.

The government made a huge mistake allowing travel and joke green lists etc, a lot of people did the right thing and forfeited their holidays but those who didn’t are partly to blame for the current situation. It’s hard enough to battle this virus domestically but it would have been more achievable, travel is its friend and has opened up too many battlefronts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Jesus.
    I hope your joking.

I just replied to a query!

We are basically doing this but extending it over 10yrs and hoping for a vaccine !

Fingers crossed for a miracle

Gonna be a grim grim winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

mloc123 wrote: »
    It was asked earlier today... the positivity rate for school kids is ~1.9% compared to ~6% in general.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1316352493035704325

Not a bother when you're not testing. Talk about juking the stats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

This part of the guidelines is ridiculous. I understand the reasoning behind low contacts and no household visitors. I'm following the guidelines because I don't want to risk becoming sick and ill and to protect myself and everyone in my small circle. I also think this is a very important part of the guidelines. I picked up a flu when I went babysitting before. The authorities are trying to keep the virus under control with this measure.

If some people don't want to follow the guidelines on this, there's really fcuk all to do about this part. Unless of the government would like to give the gardai some special powers but I don't see the gardai taking on this task of breaking up house parties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement