Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

yew_tree wrote: »
    The anti GAA brigade are out in force. Fact is all money that the GAA gather goes back into the grassroots. I am involved with my club and the feast of GAA on over the weekend was great and I spoke to older relatives who were overjoyed at being able to watch live games.

The fact is the GAA is not just a sport but it’s a way of life and it’s our identity especially in rural Ireland and now that the dark nights have rolled around I believe for the mental health of the nation during lockdown, these games will be a welcome bit of joy in an otherwise joyless existence we are now living.

Not disputing that at all. But the GAA needs to lead by example just the same.

However you point to Rural Ireland and I understand the involvement of the community in that, but Dublin has won the last number of All Irelands and they are all from suburbia. Ask Jim Gavin.

Explain the Dubs success to me and I will listen lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dwainec

dwainec wrote: »
    Are phone shops closed under level 4 can anyone confirm? We were closed in the march lockdown

Can anyone give more clarity on this now? We've been moved to "open on an emergency basis"

What does this mean? Open by appointment only or?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

“Wales are about to follow on Friday”....except they publicised details of it about 2 days ago,so really we’re copying them...

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Oh eamonn has just said golf courses will be closed!!!

Probably the maddest outcome of all.

2 oul lads out of a Wednesday morning walking around aren’t going to make a blind bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Christmas for most people is more that a turkey dinner. Its about the office parties, the pubs, the drinking, the meeting friends that have also come home, its the bringing of extended family together.

Even at 50 cases a day, that's not happening. We need to be honest with ourselves.

And we also need to be honest about why this is happening here - Maybe its cultural with the "ah shur be grand attitude", but its simply because there are a large minority, or maybe even a majority now that think themselves exempt, above it. And the result is that those that are willing to make the sacrifices will be effectively asked to double down for those that won't.

Unfortunately that does not work with an infectious Virus

As for Christmas you either be the grinch and trow your toys out of the pram and mope or you can try and make the best of it and hope. I know which one I am going to do as I aint going down that other route

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

GAA PR department all guns blazing on RTE 1.

Super spreading idiots...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Arghus wrote: »
    A very roundabout way to avoid answering my question.

I answered your question in the affirmative when I said that I've already acknowledged the correlation between falling numbers and measures the last time around.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    McConkey is totally irrelevant "Zero Covid" indeed.
    Case in cavan are stabilising by the day. Be under control this day week I'm willing to bet.

McConkey got put back in his box by Micheál Martin tonight. He ‘means well’ I think were the words used. But zero COVID was finally and publicly killed off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

So how much is the fine, and under what S.I. for travelling further than 5km from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

Headline in Irishtimes "Schools safer than wider community" ..
    that's because there's no testing in schools..

It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious.

It's up there with the "masks could actually make you more likely to catch Covid", substantial meals, and a doctor on RTE the other day who said something akin to "even if passengers arriving to Ireland get 14 negative tests, 14 days in a row, they still need to self isolate".

I guess you don't need common sense when you have rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Oh I can watch the odd match, but I cant go to the woods for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MM...they decided with weddings to give them 25 as there aren't many planned..
    10 for funerals....ffs

It would help if we could hear the bloody questions in the press conference?!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

He will find himself in a canal end seat for the next presser.

Who was that. Took the microphone off him too!! Finally someone with a pair of balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Yes........journo putting it up to MM at last....

MM clearly frustrated now

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

This .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Too much faith in computer models, garbage in, garbage out.

There's an obvious seasonal effect across Europe right now,across countries that had vastly different levels of restrictions, and this is making it apparent that the 'flattening of the curve' or was also seasonal rather than the first lockdown.

Was thinking that too but weather is still decent in southern Europe

Low 20's sunny, our summer

This fella on Claire byrne is going on like the GAA is a charity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Will Yam wrote: »
    Probably the maddest outcome of all.

2 oul lads out of a Wednesday morning walking around aren’t going to make a blind bit of difference.

100% - but the elite can still have their horse racing, watched Paris last week, might as well have been no restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

GAA PR department all guns blazing on RTE 1.

Super spreading idiots...

Well they are loaded with moolah so they can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So the government is still allowing groups of 25 to get pissed and have a party together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

s1ippy wrote: »
    The issue is that they're having massive parties after the matches.

Is it reasonable to assume that the vast majority of house parties are in the 18-30 age crowd? Now what do you thinks more popular with that age group, Premier League soccer which will be on every Sat/Sun or GAA inter county? It's the former by a factor of 3. The county final scenes were bad but it was largely people involved in the camps. This is completely different and pubs are closed and the stadiums are empty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Nice bit of balance being shown by RTE on the GAA , you would swear they had a vested interest in it....elite sport my b000lox

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

is_that_so wrote: »
    Superspreading p1ssups after games do not paint the GAA in a good light!

The teams are having a meal after the game right? even if it's in the local clubhouse - that must stop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

ratracer wrote: »
    So how much is the fine, and under what S.I. for travelling further than 5km from home?

It's going to government tomorrow for approval be out then

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Crikey, that was an embarrassing watch... The Three Stooges stuttering and I've never seen so many sideways glances between MM and Leo, especially when it came to when is midnight Wednesday!!! FFS couldn't make this Shiite up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I’d put the house on neither the football or hurling championships being played to a conclusion before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

growleaves wrote: »
    I answered your question in the affirmative when I said that I've already acknowledged the correlation between falling numbers and measures the last time around.

Great to see that we're finally on the same page growleaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Colm going off script

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭dmakc

Any fine is trumped with I'm visiting the grave

• Advertisement

jojofizzio wrote: »
    I’d put the house on neither the football or hurling championships being played to a conclusion before Christmas
    If it's not cancelled now it won't be imo.
    I think you might lose your house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement