Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Stheno wrote: »
    We've had the restrictions most countries in Europe are now bringing in, in Dublin for 3 and a half weeks but no enforcement

The NI restrictions are not much more than level three for the worst affected area in Europe

I'm lucky in that the restrictions don't impact me as I work from home and have one close contact a week which is when my oh and I meet his son

However this limited lifestyle I think is really starting to affect people to be honest

The mixed messages from government don't help either

I'm starting to wonder if people are developing a let it rip mentality tbh

Well when you see that no effort is being made to enforce any restrictions, it is very wearing on those people that are complying.
    Having said that, I still don't think the majority are saying " let it rip".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

MD1990 wrote: »
    would not surprise me if the goverment have warned the media not to report on school cases.

Bordering on "RTE is the virus" levels of Gemma O'Doherty here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Turtwig wrote: »
    0.2% is really fcking optimistic. Assuming we maintained a healthcare capacity to treat every patient the fatality rate is still around 0.6%. If the heath system collapsed that would no longer be the case! You'd also have deaths from multiple other sources due to lack of available healthcare. It would be a major culling event.

Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru all lost over 0.2% of their populations,and likely have achieved herd immunity as cases are now very low in all 3 countries. But the things is the average person in these countries is 28.

In Europe, it's early fourties. Unfortunately a prediction of us losing only 0.2% of our population through herd immunity would be very optimistic, judging by northern Italian cities and towns Europe losing 0.5% of it's population through herd immunity would be a more likely outcome. Excess deaths in Madrid were already 0.3% of it;s population by the end of the first wave, and it's now reporting the highest number of deaths again. Anyway 0.2% is still a lot even if it's 'only' that, that'd be just under 1 million deaths in the European Union

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope negative again

Were all 6 tests negative?

It seemed to be temperature readings not tests

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

And what are the government gonna do if they do report on school numbers??

Some mad conspiracies coming out of this whole pandemic.

They’d probably have no choice but to close or reduce school capacity via a hybrid learning setup, which they probably haven’t started planning for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Amirani wrote: »
    9pm curfew announced across a number of French cities. Pretty grim.

Would like to see something similar here for the Halloween period but can't see it happening unfortunately.

Our government wouldn't allow it in fear of the civil liberties crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

On schools, if a child test positive on a Monday, nobody in the school they were in will be traced as a potential close contact.

Even if teachers and other kids were in close contact with the child the Monday to Friday previously, it doesn't matter to the HSE.

So the kid either got it at home from a sibling or parent, in the community from neighbours and other people in the school won't be tested.

If the kid is positive on a Sat or Sun, it's a whole diff story. The kid could've got it from school, brought it home, infected the family and it's deemed a family contact rather than anything in the schools.

No one is calling for schools to be closed but they're obviously a problem given the surge in cases as they reopened. No idea why it is being glossed over when it's pain stakingly obvious it's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wolf359f wrote: »
    For close contacts yeah, I'm just wondering of those tested in the age group ranges, what kind of difference in positivity rates. But if the close contact positivity rate for school kids is below the community average that kind of shows that schools can't be driving cases.
    Could be down to kids being in a controlled environment ~6 hrs a day, which could reduce the risk etc...
    Schools have the potential to be very controlled, whether they are is another question. I think there is a kind of overwatch on the whole system even if people are feeling frustrated with how they think that's working. Ultimately though this will be proof of government, one that managed the schools successfully from September to June.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

is_that_so wrote: »
    That would be a sensible move on Level 3.

But yet again, the level criteria changing, what in gods name is the point in having levels and changing, adding rules as you go along, it's farcical. Lower levels have no chance of succeeding if they keep changing the rules to suit a narrative rather than fight a pandemic. It's no wonder level 3 not working. Government just seem hell bent on avoiding Level 4 & 5, it's actually looking like a childish & spiteful approach to go against NPHET recommendations.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

tom1ie wrote: »
    They’d probably have no choice but to close or reduce school capacity via a hybrid learning setup, which they probably haven’t started planning for.

I asked what are the government gonna do to the media if they report on cases in school?

Sue them?

Have them arrested?

Paranoia and conspiracy nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Not a bother when you're not testing. Talk about juking the stats.

So they are not testing... But also the stats show daily that Children are in the positive results... We are getting lost in circles now

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru all lost over 0.2% of their populations,and likely have achieved herd immunity as cases are now very low in all 3 countries. But the things is the average person in these countries is 28.

In Europe, it's early fourties. Unfortunately a prediction of us losing only 0.2% of our population through herd immunity would be very optimistic, judging by northern Italian cities and towns Europe losing 0.5% of it's population through herd immunity would be a more likely outcome. Excess deaths in Madrid were already 0.3% of it;s population by the end of the first wave, and it's now reporting the highest number of deaths again

Have you evidence these countries have “likely reached herd immunity “?
    Like a study or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I agree with you. This is all about daycare, not education
    You can look at it that way if you want. But the fact is that without schools, hundreds of thousands of children will not be getting an education. They'll be at home watching TV all day because working parents have no other choice. Or Granny will be looking after them. Or they'll all be piling into a neighbour's house because they're a stay at home parent.

If the state is willing to pay parents their full salary to stay off work and help educate their children, then that's cool. I'm sure many people would jump at that. But outside of that people have bills to pay and food that needs putting on tables.

When they closed the schools in March, it had no effect on infection rates. In fact, that's arguably when they took off. It would be naive to think the rules have changed.

I asked what are the government gonna do to the media if they report on cases in school?

Sue them?

Have them arrested?

Paranoia and conspiracy nonsense.

Sorry read your earlier post wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

And what are the government gonna do if they do report on school numbers??

Some mad conspiracies coming out of this whole pandemic.

Funny that while the actual reason for keeping schools open is different (to enable people to go to work) the stated reason is low transmission. Even a child can understand this mismatch of reasoning and that it is a goofup. Not sure why people blindly accept and believe it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

owlbethere wrote: »
    This part of the guidelines is ridiculous. I understand the reasoning behind low contacts and no household visitors. I'm following the guidelines because I don't want to risk becoming sick and ill and to protect myself and everyone in my small circle. I also think this is a very important part of the guidelines. I picked up a flu when I went babysitting before. The authorities are trying to keep the virus under control with this measure.

If some people don't want to follow the guidelines on this, there's really fcuk all to do about this part. Unless of the government would like to give the gardai some special powers but I don't see the gardai taking on this task of breaking up house parties.

Didn't you admit to breaking guidelines yourself not so long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Are we noticing poor adherence to the COVID rules in the areas that generally have poor adherence to all laws in general?
    I’m thinking Northern Ireland, Donegal, and “working class” city areas.
    If we introduced Level 10 it wouldn’t matter because these lads won’t comply with this or any other laws.
    #truthhurts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Goldengirl wrote: »
    What age are you?
    I say this not because I really want to know, but that is one of the most immature comments on the thread this evening, imo!
    I think you are quoting me out of context, did you see the original comment that i replied to?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,221 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jimi H wrote: »
    My Dad is in a nursing home. They have been absolutely fantastic and have been taking every precaution. They rang this evening devastated. Their first positive case was confirmed earlier. With widespread community transmission, it is almost impossible to stop the spread to our most vulnerable.

I'm sorry to hear that, hope all will be ok there, take care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

On schools, if a child test positive on a Monday, nobody in the school they were in will be traced as a potential close contact.

Even if teachers and other kids were in close contact with the child the Monday to Friday previously, it doesn't matter to the HSE.

So the kid either got it at home from a sibling or parent, in the community from neighbours and other people in the school won't be tested.

If the kid is positive on a Sat or Sun, it's a whole diff story. The kid could've got it from school, brought it home, infected the family and it's deemed a family contact rather than anything in the schools.

No one is calling for schools to be closed but they're obviously a problem given the surge in cases as they reopened. No idea why it is being glossed over when it's pain stakingly obvious it's an issue.

It seems they are getting covid out of the way with schoolkids, presumably given its particular harmlessness to those within that age group.

At least it's clear cut that it isn't pubs or house parties or travel which have been the biggest spreaders as all were possible over the summer and no type of case explosion occurred until the schools opened.

The markets in the US are building in a February vaccine announcement. Once we are through to the spring I think we will be through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Are we noticing poor adherence to the COVID rules in the areas that generally have poor adherence to all laws in general?
    If we introduced Level 10 it wouldn’t matter because these lads won’t comply with this or any other laws.
    #truthhurts

5/6 highest incident rates in Dublin last week were working class areas.

It's gone too far.

They don't care and we will all suffer.

In saying that GAA all over the country are to blame to so maybe my first point isn't fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

#truthhurts

GAA clubs......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Have you evidence these countries have “likely reached herd immunity “?
    Like a study or something?

Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru are all moving into Summer as they are southern hemisphere nations, our cases here dropped in the Summer as well. That's a far more likely explanation than herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Dublin has gone from 1st to 11th in terms of incidence rate per 100,000 over the last 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How do you know?
    There hasn’t been a vaccine for any corona virus yet.

We can’t keep the economy closed/open/closed indefinitely.
    Based on the numbers of prospective candidates, which I believe is somewhere around 200 now, I think we will. The ones at the top of the pile look very promising. We do already have some new treatments and a lot more work being done. I expect to see treatments which will prevent people the most severe forms. Add in better and faster testing developments and we'll be able to manage it till a vaccine appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Jim Root wrote: »
    Close down the schools, teachers go on the PUP. Fair enough?

If I wasn’t expected to teach online during that time I wouldn’t have a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If the reports are correct, Level 4 for 3 counties and household restrictions at level 3 for the rest, I just give up. What are they thinking, its a joke at this stage, what about Cork, what about Meath, mother of God, what about Dublin.

This Government losing credibility and I'm more and more convinced Leo in particular desperate to avoid admitting he was wrong, not taking tge NPHET advice given almost two weeks ago, they just can't be seen to have been wrong.

We may as well say goodbye to Christmas at this rate, Just shocking ineptitude. Level 3 & Bit my A#€SE

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Spot on, and if Government think we are idiots they can think again. Imagine, all the complaints about testing times, and track and trace, isolate, do not move if you have symptoms. Honestly what is this magic thing that schools have that absolves them from the general rules?

Oh yes, it is childcare for the workers. Forgot that. Which is fair enough, but not at the cost of a blowout of Covid cases emanating from schools either.

I honestly don't know how teachers are coping or parents either. Fair play to them.

I have no kids at school now so maybe I am speaking out of turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Inquitus wrote: »
    Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru are all moving into Summer as they are southern hemisphere nations, our cases here dropped in the Summer as well. That's a far more likely explanation than herd immunity.

Our cases dropped in the summer because we were not allowed go 2km from our house and everything was shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

mloc123 wrote: »
    So they are not testing... But also the stats show daily that Children are in the positive results... We are getting lost in circles now

They're not being tested to the extent that the 'community' is being tested. If there's an outbreak in a local Spar shop, you could bet that everyone working there would be tested but that doesn't seem to be happening with the schools.

Just think of the environment that schools are operating in. 20/30 kids sitting beside each other and hundreds confined into one building. How could they be not a ground for the virus to thrive?

I'm not even mad that they're open. It just annoys me that it seems that they are exempt from scrutiny when we see case numbers like today.

In my opinion the stats are being juked and that's never a good thing, especially when we should be looking for transparency and having accurate data to analyse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement