Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JustSomeLad

Anyone know of an API that gets updated more frequently than the one the government suggests?

I can't post links because I'm a new user but it's the one on datagov(dot)ie for "CovidStatisticsProfileHPSCIrelandOpenData"

I'm parsing the info and it's only up to the 12th, need it for an alert app to inform people who work and study in areas where clusters are predicted to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

MD1990 wrote: »
    would not surprise me if the goverment have warned the media not to report on school cases.

It is madness that classes are not all tested when someone tests positive.

Probably many of the community transmission cases originated in schools.

I've been thinking and saying that for weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Dempo1 wrote: »

We may as well say goodbye to Christmas at this rate, Just shocking ineptitude

and 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

If the reports are correct, Level 4 for 3 counties and household restrictions at level 3 for the rest, I just give up. What are they thinking, its a joke at this stage, what about Cork, what about Meath, mother of God, what about Dublin.

This Government losing credibility and I'm more and more convinced Leo in particular desperate to avoid admitting he was wrong, not taking tge NPHET advice given almost two weeks ago, they just can't be seen to have been wrong.

We may as well say goodbye to Christmas at this rate, Just shocking ineptitude. Level 3 & Bit my A#€SE

It annoys me that they can borrow restrictions from a higher level and still call it level 3 _ it gives the impression they don't know what they're doing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Every single day the cases get worse, and every single day the government comes to preach about how we all must be doing better.

Yet:

1) The government keeps the schools opened and lies to the people, the absolute dirtiest, lowest level, direct-face lying that schools/children are not spreading the virus.

and

2) Pretty much 100% of everyone else who is spreading the virus out of carelessness/lack of giving a crap is absolutely not listening or reading the government's statements in the news or twitter etc.

So the government's one and only strategy - plead to people via statements and twitter - is the very definition of the word useless. And they know this, they are not that stupid.

When will we hold them accountable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Steve012 wrote: »
    I've been thinking and saying that for weeks!

What do you think the government will do to the media if they report them?

Just please answer that one question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

https://www.wa.de/deutschland-welt/corona-impfstoff-impfungen-winter-forschung-gegenmittel-infizierte-dosis-deutschland-biontech-zr-90068929.html

Looks like we have our first vaccine out of the gates.
    As reported by ntv , the newly developed vaccine BNT162b2 from the pharmaceutical company Biontech has successfully completed clinical studies. The mass production has already begun, the final permit application is already pending. It is said that one is on the verge of "putting an end to this pandemic".

The vaccine is now being tested in the so-called rolling review process in Amsterdam. In April, Biontech was the first German company to receive approval to receive clinical studies. Around 37,000 participants have now been included in the study, 28,000 of whom have already received the second dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

5/6 highest incident rates in Dublin last week were working class areas.

It's gone too far.

They don't care and we will all suffer.

In saying that GAA all over the country are to blame to so maybe my first point isn't fair.

The Gardai need to crack down hard on the scumbags building bonfires this year as they will attract gangs of youths and indeed adults in certain working class areas.

Id be in favour of the army backing the Gardai up to enforce law and order and also backing up the councils in collection of bonfire materials if possible as its dangerous for them to go into some of their own estates to do this most years.

It's no point complaining about a huge spike in case numbers a couple of weeks after Halloween if they aren't prepared to act now. Proactive > Reactive

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If the reports are correct, Level 4 for 3 counties and household restrictions at level 3 for the rest, I just give up. What are they thinking, its a joke at this stage, what about Cork, what about Meath, mother of God, what about Dublin.

This Government losing credibility and I'm more and more convinced Leo in particular desperate to avoid admitting he was wrong, not taking tge NPHET advice given almost two weeks ago, they just can't be seen to have been wrong.

We may as well say goodbye to Christmas at this rate, Just shocking ineptitude. Level 3 & Bit my A#€SE

Christmas is gone. We have to accept it at this rate.

Why name the 11th worst county in terms of incidence as one in need of special attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Holohan knew he was right. He will be vindicated soon enough sadly. I know he has form re the Cervical Check, but we have to move on. I don't think he put a foot wrong while he was CMO during Covid. Acting fella was ok too.

This is serious sht now. But I have no idea, nor does anyone else how to get it under control unless a total lockdown is on the cards. AGAIN. With Winter misery and dark nights, how delightful that will be. But needs must sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Wolf359f wrote: »
    For close contacts yeah, I'm just wondering of those tested in the age group ranges, what kind of difference in positivity rates. But if the close contact positivity rate for school kids is below the community average that kind of shows that schools can't be driving cases.
    Could be down to kids being in a controlled environment ~6 hrs a day, which could reduce the risk etc...

Or that their close contacts are not deemed as such, and they are not testing them!
    In society everyone is being told to get tested and that this is the only way to stamp out / control infection, but not so in the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Inquitus wrote: »
    Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru are all moving into Summer as they are southern hemisphere nations, our cases here dropped in the Summer as well. That's a far more likely explanation than herd immunity.

This herd immunity is nonesense, Iran is in the middle of its 3rd wave, no sign of immunity there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/14/iran-at-breaking-point-as-it-fights-third-wave-of-coronavirus

Allah only knows what the true numbers are there

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    and 2021

When people.say goodbye to Christmas.

What does that mean?

Did you think you would get to go on the 12 pubs with your 20 mates this year?

Bit of perspective.

You can still do all the things you do every Christmas except go to the pub.

Big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

What does that mean?

Bit of perspective.

Big deal.

Not even remotely correct but go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

What does that mean?

Bit of perspective.

Big deal.

Not if you live in a part of the country that isn’t where your family are and you go home for Xmas

That’s is a big deal

Have some perspective

Inquitus wrote: »
    Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru are all moving into Summer as they are southern hemisphere nations, our cases here dropped in the Summer as well. That's a far more likely explanation than herd immunity.

Lima has the most boring city climate in the world, always between 18-22C, hardly ever rains, virtually always grey, Ecuador is tropical on the coast and has moderately cool, fairly stable, inland mountain climate. These countries don't have typical summers/winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Holohan knew he was right. He will be vindicated soon enough sadly.

Was it not a case that they were unable to justify saying level 2 on the Thursday but then level 5 on the Sunday? Sounds like NPHET had trouble justifying that sort of u-turn.

What does that mean?

Bit of perspective.

You can still do all the things you do every Christmas
    except go to the pub.

Big deal.

Really? Visit all the family?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

What does that mean?

Bit of perspective.

Big deal.

True - I'm tempted to start the festivities earlier.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Not if you live in a part of the country that isn’t where your family are and you go home for Xmas

That’s is a big deal

Have some perspective

You can still do that.

It's not illegal.

Noone is gonna tar and feather you for visiting family at Christmas.

Everyone will do it regardless of the numbers.

Let's be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

bennyl10 wrote: »

That’s is a big deal

Have some perspective

Go home for Christmas, nobody is going stop you. Bit of cop on is needed.

Really? Visit all the family?

Unless they get serious and make it law then yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Look, we all know we are being lied to about the schools. It has been decided to keep them open at any cost, including lying to the public.

This was done to us six months ago also when we were told not to wear masks as not only are they ineffective but actually dangerous to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

sterz wrote: »
    Was it not a case that they were unable to justify saying level 2 on the Thursday but then level 5 on the Sunday? Sounds like NPHET had trouble justifying that sort of u-turn.

He returned to the rol eand must have been looking at the data and projections and made a move. Is being proved to be correct now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Holohan knew he was right. He will be vindicated soon enough sadly. I know he has form re the Cervical Check, but we have to move on. I don't think he put a foot wrong while he was CMO during Covid. Acting fella was ok too.

This is serious sht now. But I have no idea, nor does anyone else how to get it under control unless a total lockdown is on the cards. AGAIN. With Winter misery and dark nights, how delightful that will be. But needs must sometimes.

Winter weather is the best time to have a lock down. We will be ok staying indoors. Late Spring and Summer was much tougher with every Tom, Dick and Harry wanting to be outdoors running or feeding ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

What are peoples experiences with Covid outside of restrictions?
    Have you or friends/family for it and how bad was it

I have 12 friends/family/co workers who have had confirmed cases and all of them were grand, all under 60, 8 who had sypmtions described it as a slight cold for 5 and 3 as a bad dose for a few days.

The hysteria around it is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

This herd immunity is nonesense, Iran is in the middle of its 3rd wave, no sign of immunity there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/14/iran-at-breaking-point-as-it-fights-third-wave-of-coronavirus

Allah only knows what the true numbers are there

https://www.ncr-iran.org/en/ncri-statements/statement-human-rights/iran-coronavirus-death-toll-in-444-cities-exceeds-110000/
    Iran's deaths are allegedly 4-5 times higher than official figures. So could be as high as 150k currently

Even if they are 150k in Iran that is still proportionally much lower death toll than excess deaths in Peru, so doesn't necessarily mean herd immunity hasn't been achieved in Peru because Iran had 3 waves. Peru has one much much worse wave

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

There's a certain inevitability about the direction Ireland is going in this pandemic ....Reeling in the Years will certainly have a slot for Leo's clip trying to put manners on Dr Holohan.

It might be funny if it weren't for the suffering of so many people at this time.

I have 12 friends/family/co workers who have had confirmed cases and all of them were grand, all under 60, 8 who had sypmtions described it as a slight cold for 5 and 3 as a bad dose for a few days.

Personally I dont know anyone thats caught either, you're right its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

If the hospitals are overwhelmed with covid cases and someone needs treatment for an unrelated matter but can't get it in time, would it still be a case of hysteria

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement