Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I disagree, just worry about yourself.

That's what I'm doing.

It hasn't happened here though and unlikely to happen now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Longing

In relation to the north - it really does show why competent government matters and thinking clearly about the consequnces of your actions - SF blew a hole in the credibility of the regime there with yer man's funeral. Then came out saying "it's grand".

Of course no one would listen to them after that. Now look at the mess - trying with straight faces to tell people to limit numbers at funerals.

Eejits

Its the same here with Golf-gate. I said it back then this will have a magor knock on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

So whole country is effectively in level 4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭billyhead

People are going to flout this requirement to give the government the 2 fingers. No matter what restrictions you put in place there are a cohort who will continue as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Same would apply to the Republic too. Look at what happened with our initial lockdown but no travel restrictions.

Of course no one would listen to them after that. Now look at the mess - trying with straight faces to tell people to limit numbers in their homes while still nothing happens with those arriving via the airport.

Eejits.

Agree with this.

Allowing American tourists in to travel freely around the country as we all were advised to cancel our holidays.

Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Trampas wrote: »
    What’s the point in having level 1-5 if the government don’t even follow them
    These levels are a farce now at this stage.

Hello. The levels provide a very useful communication framework. Flexibility and adaptation is essential to optimise countermeasures on the virus. A rigid implementation of them would be needlessly structured and be against the best interest of the public. They will be generally adapted in time according to this constantly evolving situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Boggles wrote: »
    Level Pi tomorrow night.

22/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Eod100 wrote: »
    So whole country is effectively in level 4

And it won't make a blind bit of difference. But if we see numbers stabilizing/reducing then no doubt they'll say moving to level 4 (or implementing these restrictions, whatever) was the major factor.

Micheal Martin will make a live statement to the nation. I will say at 9pm or after the news. Great

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

22/7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

owlbethere wrote: »
    What is wrong with our government? Can they not look to Australia and see how things are done properly? Are they too dim to do that? Are they not able to do that? New South Wales had a little bit over 4000 cases and 53 deaths. There was a little bit over 27000 cases for the whole of Australia. I know Australia can be very isolated and spaced out but the cities are built up and many country towns are accessible.

We were in a fantastic position after our lockdown with low numbers and our government and some people absolutely fcuking blew it.

We should have had border controls into our country. All the nonsense about - we can't because of the North - they should have adopted the same. We should have had isolation/quarantine centres and heavy penalties for isolation breakers.

I know it might seem extreme or over the top and many people would argue that this virus is just a little cold and nothing more that a flu. It's not a flu. There's similarities between the two for sure. They both cause fever, fatigue, body aches and pains but covid19 is worse. Covid19 can cause the immune system to go into overdrive. It can cause Ards and blood clots in other people. The virus does need to be suppressed. How can businesses survive if too many people fall ill and become poorly at once?

2300 of those 4000 cases were quarantine cases.

https://covidlive.com.au/report/daily-source-of-infection/nsw

Australia has a 4500 arrivals cap per week, currently about 100-120 of those per week are positive and seem to be rising mostly from Europe. That’s 2- 2.5%.

If Dublin airport had 60,000 arrivals per week and 2% were infected that’s 1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Bout bleedin' time

The only household visits I wanna hear of from now on are those of Guards going around, cracking skulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

"And only six people from two households can meet outdoors in parks etc."

Does this mean outdoor team training sessions are off aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,222 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

billyhead wrote: »
    People are going to flout this requirement to give the government the 2 fingers. No matter what restrictions you put in place there are a cohort who will continue as is.

That's why strict enforcement like fines and arrests need to be allowed, passed into law asap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Schools are blamed in every second post on this thread. It's tiresome.

I think we should do what we can to keep schools open but I dislike the government glossing over the role they play in transmission. They would blame the man on the moon before saying yes schools have a role. Norway even found that children were involved in spreading it.

https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/i/BR569e/undefined article on spread in NOrway's biggest school

I am not calling for schools to be closed but I would prefer the government not treat people like idiots, when in other countries it has been found that children spread covid and schools are a part of that. Be honest and help solve the issue.

Use the creche workers who are unemployed and anyone else involved in childcare related jobs to help sort the situation. Employ admin to get them garda vetted quickly and get every public space available and set up child care centres. Work in conjunction with schools. Have classes split into groups.

One group in class other group with childcare groups doing homework and playing. Swap groups either morning and afternoons or 2 1/2 days each. Arrange online for kids not able to be in school with high risk teachers not able to be in school

It would allow for smaller groups in schools, it would keep schools open, allowing people to work. It would employ people who were on PUP and hopefully ease the situation in schools. This is the barebones of an idea but surely the government could come up with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

jackboy wrote: »
    The people who have complied all along will comply. Those that have never complied will be exempt from this as usual.
    It's farcical. More and more restrictions on the group who are complying, while a large minority stick two fingers up at everyone and are completely unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

sterz wrote: »
    And it won't make a blind bit of difference. But if we see numbers stabilizing/reducing then no doubt they'll say moving to level 4 (or implementing these restrictions, whatever) was the major factor.

This isn’t level 4 at all
    This is provided for within level 3

4 is a different ballgame

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

It’s only bloody October and we’re basically in indefinite lockdown. What utter misery and incompetence from these politians and Health advisors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

FGS clear simple messages please. I am bamboozled now, but will observe what is advised.

Not sure what that is though anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    That's why strict enforcement like fines and arrests need to be allowed, passed into law asap

You're mad if you think we have even 1% of the resources that would be required to police it.

• Advertisement

Longing wrote: »
    Micheal Martin will make a live statement to the nation. I will say at 9pm or after the news. Great

Is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What are peoples experiences with Covid outside of restrictions?
    Have you or friends/family for it and how bad was it

I have 12 friends/family/co workers who have had confirmed cases and all of them were grand, all under 60, 8 who had sypmtions described it as a slight cold for 5 and 3 as a bad dose for a few days.

The hysteria around it is ridiculous!

You know 12 people who have had it you say...

Were they tested?
    How many in each age group?
    Any underlying conditions?
    What medications, if any, are they on?
    Where did they contact it and was the person they got it from symptomatic or not?
    How ill was the primary contact?
    Did they get checked out by their doctor to ensure they are not suffering any complications?

If you are going to use a, frankly, statistically insignificant number of candidates on which to base a study that refutes all other evidence around the world which states the contrary to what you have found, do it properly.!

Never mind.. what ifs..wtf? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭amber2

hmmm wrote: »
    It's farcical. More and more restrictions on the group who are complying, while a large minority stick two fingers up at everyone.

Remember the Banking crisis when David Drumm Said pull a figure out of your ass, this government is a bit like that too.

sterz wrote: »

All the onus is being put on individuals. When community transmission is so high don't think these measures will do a huge lot even if followed by a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Really? Visit all the family?

Not trying to argue with you but what about family that are old and/or have underlying conditions.

I will be working until the day before Christmas eve in a place that has cases now and has had cases since March. Do I want to risk bringing it home to a family member in a high risk group?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Does level 4 mean that my work(construction) will be stopped again I reside in monaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

amber2 wrote: »
    Remember when David Drumm Said pull a figure out of your ass, this government is a bit like that too.

Any idea is a good idea, that's the MO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

What's your solution, let it rip through the population and if the hospitals cease to function? I think your tune would change if you or someone you know went in with a heart issue or something

No I wouldn't

The prevention measures are worse than the virus IMO

People on here are dooms dayers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement