Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Regarding the schools, are parents and teachers concerned at all?

I'm a parent and a teacher and I am concerned at the fact they are not being honest about the schools. The schools are spreading it more than they let on. The way they are getting out of it is not deeming people to be close contacts when they are so obviously close contacts. Also..child comes into school asymptomatic, passes it to another child also asymptomatic. Child goes home and passes it to parent/grandparent who actually get symptoms. They are then tested and found to have it which leads to the child getting tested due to close contact. They are then positive but the case is deemed to have spread outside the school because the child was tested after the symptomatic case.
    Now I'm not shouting for schools to be closed as I think they are so beneficial to children and I'm happy to continue teaching. But the government and public health officials need to get real and get honest with the public. This virus spreads in schools more than they are letting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think people need to be encouraged to wash their shopping again like we were doing in March, to me it's the most obvious reason for where we are

It's no reason as to why the world is where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Supercell wrote: »
    No other households - No trick or treating for the kids in a couple of weeks time?

I think trick or treating is the least of our concerns at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You know 12 people who have had it you say...

Were they tested?
    How many in each age group?
    Any underlying conditions?
    What medications, if any, are they on?
    Where did they contact it and was the person they got it from symptomatic or not?
    How ill was the primary contact?
    Did they get checked out by their doctor to ensure they are not suffering any complications?

If you are going to use a, frankly, statistically insignificant number of candidates on which to base a study that refutes all other evidence around the world which states the contrary to what you have found, do it properly.!

Never mind.. what ifs..:)

All tested, I did say confirmed cases.
    All under 60, over 25.
    One has diabetes that I know of, 4 co-workes I would not know of underlying conditions.
    Dont know if any are on meds.
    5 of then from a ski trip, 2 in work have no idea, 3 from collage house share, 2 others also no idea
    None have needed any further doctor interactions

This wasn't a study just my experience as I said
    The studies show it's got a 0.1% mortality rate

I think smoking kills more than covid, better stay indoors in case someone smoking outside

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Supercell wrote: »
    No other households - No trick or treating for the kids in a couple of weeks time?

I suppose every cloud....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Honestly I thought we should have taken a different approach to households once it became clear they were a source.
    Households were never the source ...everything and nothing is "the source" with something as infectious as this virus.

"Household" is the name they give as location when they can't find out where the virus really was cought ...work, school, pub, party, shop ...

With so many people being asymptomatic and so little contact tracing going on the source is almost impossible to pin down.

Household sticks though ...because at least that one is easily traceable and is the place you last were before you felt sick enough to warrant a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

When people.say goodbye to Christmas.

What does that mean?

Did you think you would get to go on the 12 pubs with your 20 mates this year?

Bit of perspective.

You can still do all the things you do every Christmas except go to the pub.

Big deal.

Responsible people won't be having a normal Xmas. Normal Xmas stuff for us is doing the rounds of houses friends/family etc.. and this year we will be doing none of that because we are responsible people.

You are dreaming if you think this xmas will be anything approaching normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

hmmm wrote: »
    It's farcical. More and more restrictions on the group who are complying, while a large minority stick two fingers up at everyone and are completely unchallenged.

While widespread, the idea of a need for all to be complying with restrictions has no scientific basis. Non compliance as such, does not spoil the reduced transmission actions taken by others. The fight against the spread of the virus is won or lost on a macro scale, with the concept that all should take the same precautions comes from an emotional sense of equality or burden sharing. The sentiment is understandable. But not really relevant to how we chose to implement restriction guidelines on the national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Interesting to see how concerned some teachers and parents are now.

I totally understand that it's a balancing act for those who need to work away from home, many of whom are teachers I'd suspect.

All the best. Following this with interest and trepidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

After 9 o clock for Michael Martin to speak ?

Yeah 9:15 on Disney channel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I for one am sick of these 'state of the nation' addresses by the Taoiseach.

If they made some proper fcuking decisions instead of this softly, softly catchy monkey approach he wouldn't have to be out on the steps once a fcuking week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The cover up is an insult to our intelligence.

But am surprised at the silence of the Teacher Unions and the parents of these kids in petrie dish classrooms.

Pretty ****ty cover up given they tell parents of kids in the school whenever there's a case. Not quite sure you understand the meaning.

Jin luk wrote: »
    Does level 4 mean that my work(construction) will be stopped again I reside in monaghan.

Hello. It does not. Work will continue with the appropriate precautions and control measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

I guess NPHET meeting tomorrow wont mean anything now, since decisions are being made tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I think the household visit ban makes sense compared to some other rules they have put in place. If I can still meet my parents outside and it's safer I don't mind. We'll park up somewhere.

That's it exactly. Everything is contradictory and feels nonsensical.

We're not being guided by the science, we're being guided by what the government wants the science to be.

We are being guided by the science, but that is only one consideration. Decisions by the government are made according to a wider field of criteria.

The chain of transmission has many many links, and all contribute to the overall spread and R0. Individual factors have greater or lesser contributions, and also have different levels of importance to society in general. It is never true to say schools are or are not having an impact. Whereever people interface, there is an impact.

The task of the politicians is to weigh up the sum of all factors contributing to spread, and weigh up the the impact on society, health, and the economy of curtailing these activities to varying degrees, and balancing those two elements with the capability of the health service to handle the caseload. The data and advice on the virus element is provided to them by NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I guess NPHET meeting tomorrow wont mean anything now, since decisions are being made tonight.

The government will come to regret not taking the actions they should have taken when advised to.

We are in a precarious place now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

The ban on household visitations isn't pinned down by law. Continue as you were.

No i won't continue. I'll obey the rule because i am a decent citizen and i want people to not get sick and business to open back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Jin luk wrote: »
    Does level 4 mean that my work(construction) will be stopped again I reside in monaghan.

It'll stay open level 4 or 5, its classed as essential now https://www.thesun.ie/news/6024002/budget-2021-childrens-hospital-building-lockdown/

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan moved to Level 4, they really have no idea what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

In work i Can share office with 7-8 Co workers and share canteen with 6 people at a time.. Can go on lunch and sit in my local paddy powers for an hour with random people.. But can't visit any close family members at their home??

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Well nobody has stuck to a plan since this all began so why start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

While widespread, the idea of a need for all to be complying with restrictions has no scientific basis. Non compliance as such, does not spoil the reduced transmission actions taken by others. The fight against the spread of the virus is won or lost on a macro scale, with the concept that all should take the same precautions comes from an emotional sense of equality or burden sharing. The sentiment is understandable. But not really relevant to how we chose to implement restriction guidelines on the national level.
    Public health measures like this have to carry the public to be succesful. If people feel there is a sense of unfairness, or that others are metaphorically sticking up two fingers, there is going to be a global sense of disillusionment and lack of voluntary adherence.

We now have the worst of all worlds. Little sense of social togetherness which is hurting voluntary adherence. Lack of enforcement. Increasingly ineffective public health messages.

The public are crying out for the government to do something about people flouting the rules. A very visible example should be made, and I can think of a few obvious places this can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think trick or treating is the least of our concerns at the minute.

Fair enough, though I do feel we all could do with a bit of family fun this year, but I understand the sentiment. We'll probably do a trick or treat sweet spooky hunt in our house for our three kids or something I suppose instead.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

The government will come to regret not taking the actions they should have taken when advised to.

They won’t admit it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

We were always be in this position regardless.

You think if the government took the advice last week and we get the numbers down and open back up we wouldn't be in another lockdown in 3 months?

It's a **** show and it's noones fault.

We will go around in circles until a vaccine is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Redzer7 wrote: »
    It'll stay open level 4 or 5, its classed as essential now https://www.thesun.ie/news/6024002/budget-2021-childrens-hospital-building-lockdown/

Sensible decision especially for construction projects still at the outdoor stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

"Cabinet agrees ban on all household visits nationwide"

Are RTE's editors just plain stupid? What ban? They have, time and time and time again, clarified they have no power to do anything regarding households. Guardai can't act on anything. They have no power. What ban? How can you have 'bans' when no one has any power of enforcement?

At this point I think North Korea's state media has more discernment than what RTE allow to be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hurrache wrote: »
    Pretty ****ty cover up given they tell parents of kids in the school whenever there's a case. Not quite sure you understand the meaning.

AFAIK no child in a school is considered a Contact if there is a case in the school, so no testing required, same for the teacher.

Is that a cover up or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The largest cohort of the cases are in the 25 -30 age category. Not adjusted for population but the fastest increasing week week on week are the 5-9 and 15-19.

data from hpsc

529298.png

Percentage increase week on week.

529303.png

I had to phone a friend to read that for me

hqdefault.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement