Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

afro man wrote: »
    In work i Can share office with 7-8 Co workers and share canteen with 6 people at a time.. Can go on lunch and sit in my local paddy powers for an hour with random people.. But can't visit any close family members at their home??

Work is work, so has to be treated differently. But, yes, they should definitely close the bookies. It's the only indoor venue where the same group of adults can hang around beside eachother all day. Doesn't make sense for them to be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭alentejo

Non essential retail closed in DCM, however open in Northern Ireland, even though NI has a high instance of Covid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

No i won't continue. I'll obey the rule because i am a decent citizen and i want people to not get sick and business to open back up.

Yes you are a decent citizen as are many many others but like most laws in this country there’s a sizeable section of Irish society who don’t do what they are told and they will continue to spread Covid making the decent peoples efforts not enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

owlbethere wrote: »
    What is wrong with our government? Can they not look to Australia and see how things are done properly? Are they too dim to do that? Are they not able to do that? New South Wales had a little bit over 4000 cases and 53 deaths. There was a little bit over 27000 cases for the whole of Australia. I know Australia can be very isolated and spaced out but the cities are built up and many country towns are accessible.

We were in a fantastic position after our lockdown with low numbers and our government and some people absolutely fcuking blew it.

We should have had border controls into our country. All the nonsense about - we can't because of the North - they should have adopted the same. We should have had isolation/quarantine centres and heavy penalties for isolation breakers.

I know it might seem extreme or over the top and many people would argue that this virus is just a little cold and nothing more that a flu. It's not a flu. There's similarities between the two for sure. They both cause fever, fatigue, body aches and pains but covid19 is worse. Covid19 can cause the immune system to go into overdrive. It can cause Ards and blood clots in other people. The virus does need to be suppressed. How can businesses survive if too many people fall ill and become poorly at once?

Australia's isolation is not the only massive advantage and difference it has .

It's dry climate, mild temperatures, even in their winter, rapidly rising temperatures now.

All massive problems for Covid.

Our climate is ideal for it and part of the narrow band where it thrives the most aggressively.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

alentejo wrote: »
    Non essential retail closed in DCM,

Is this the new acronym du jour? Not as catchy as LOK...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

The government will come to regret not taking the actions they should have taken when advised to.

We are in a precarious place now.

That interview Varadkar did on Claire Byrne will be his defining moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I presume NPHET aren't the ones who pushed these restrictions since they are meeting tomorrow? Why did the gov not just wait to see what they have to say tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

I don't have a TV, anyone have a link/can guide me to where I can watch Michael Martin's address?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

afro man wrote: »
    In work i Can share office with 7-8 Co workers and share canteen with 6 people at a time.. Can go on lunch and sit in my local paddy powers for an hour with random people.. But can't visit any close family members at their home??

Sounds like your workplace is not adhering to HSE guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Supercell wrote: »
    Fair enough, though I do feel we all could do with a bit of family fun this year, but I understand the sentiment. We'll probably do a trick or treat sweet spooky hunt in our house for our three kids or something I suppose instead.

Hang an apple off a string, worked for us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Guidelines, guidelines, guidelines.

"But wait there's exceptions for X Y and Z'

The message is all over the shop. How about just enforcing the current levels?

This government do not seem capable of learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Fair enough, though I do feel we all could do with a bit of family fun this year, but I understand the sentiment. We'll probably do a trick or treat sweet spooky hunt in our house for our three kids or something I suppose instead.
    Multiple kids touching doorbells and taking food from random households does not sound like a good idea to me. I think it will also pressure some households to open their doors and put themselves at risk. There definitely should not be mixing of households indoors. I hope families and neighbourhoods can find an alternative. Just my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Speaking now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

To be honest it would probably be safe. If you're staying outside, wearing masks (scary ones optional) and sanitising all the sweets and stuff afterwards. Definitely could be doing an awful lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,364 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Trouble in the DMC lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That interview Varadkar did on Claire Byrne will be his defining moment.

Please explain why?

You think locking down the country last week as opposed to next week would have eliminated the virus?

It's gonna be here no matter what.

We lockdown last week then it comes back quicker than if we lock down next week.

People just looking to blame someone for covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Anyone's Covid19 app being checked more today than in any other time over the last number of weeks... received 7 notification's saying my random ID's had been checked for close contact today alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

AFAIK no child in a school is considered a Contact if there is a case in the school, so no testing required, same for the teacher.

Is that a cover up or not?

Don't have kids myself but my brother told this to me after a kid tested positive in his sons school, doesn't sound right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

No i won't continue. I'll obey the rule because i am a decent citizen and i want people to not get sick and business to open back up.
    LuasSimon wrote: »
    Yes you are a decent citizen as are many many others but like most laws in this country there’s a sizeable section of Irish society who don’t do what they are told and they will continue to spread Covid making the decent peoples efforts not enough .

My girlfriend lives in another county but only a few miles away realistically. I dont plan on visiting 10 other households. This will be my bubble.

I have pretty much obeyed every other rule but I would prefer that common sense allows me to decide what is ok as opposed to a law telling me it is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

no sound omg rte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I guess NPHET meeting tomorrow wont mean anything now, since decisions are being made tonight.

More could be made I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

hmmm wrote: »
    Multiple kids touching doorbells and taking food from random households does not sound like a good idea to me. I think it will also pressure some households to open their doors and put themselves at risk. There definitely should not be mixing of households indoors. I hope families and neighbourhoods can find an alternative. Just my view.

The kids will be grand. Dress up as usual and give them lots of sweets at home, they'll be delighted they don't have to trudge around in the dark and rain. Always hated that as a kid, just give me the sweets dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

AFAIK no child in a school is considered a Contact if there is a case in the school, so no testing required, same for the teacher.

Is that a cover up or not?

And yet I had to isolate and get tested because the app picked up bluetooth through the wall from a neighbour that had tested positive!

We are being guided by the science, but that is only one consideration. Decisions by the government are made according to a wider field of criteria.

The chain of transmission has many many links, and all contribute to the overall spread and R0. Individual factors have greater or lesser contributions, and also have different levels of importance to society in general. It is never true to say schools are or are not having an impact. Whereever people interface, there is an impact.

The task of the politicians is to weigh up the sum of all factors contributing to spread, and weigh up the the impact on society, health, and the economy of curtailing these activities to varying degrees, and balancing those two elements with the capability of the health service to handle the caseload. The data and advice on the virus element is provided to them by NPHET.

But a virus with no mind cares not a jot for education, the economy or healthcare capacity. If they are only accepting the scientific recommendations that are economically palatable, then we are on the slow train back to disaster.

There is a way to deal with this, it's the high tech hard work approach you see in Asia. Track cases ruthlessly, test on a massive scale, isolate cases and potential cases properly. We've already hit a level where we can't test all contacts, tracing isn't working quick enough or thoroughly enough.

We simply do not seem to be capable of managing this as it stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fvcking RTE news don't have the sound feed, watch on rtenews now on twitter , the feed works.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1316470659678167041?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

no sound omg rte

Go to RTE news

• Registered Users Posts: 17,475 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

no sound omg rte

Working fine on RTE News Now

• Registered Users Posts: 82,364 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thou shalt not meet another person in thy gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hang an apple of a string, worked for us.

The old ways are the best. Ha.

I remember all the Halloween stuff at home, I'm older now you see.

We just dressed up in some ridiculous outfits and went door to door saying "Help the Halloween Party", none of this trick or treating either. Am grumpy now :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Speaking now

Talking out his hole as usual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement