Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

kenmc wrote: »
    What's so different in Europe than China, Korea etc? China numbers may be a tad doubtful, fair enough, but Korea doesn't seem to be surging like Europe is. Same hemisphere, so it's not a summer\winter thing. Is it down to civil "obedience" (forced or otherwise) levels between there and here maybe?
    Likewise scandanavia doesn't seem to be resurging like Italy, Germany etc unless I missed some. Yet USA states showing the surge again too.... Feckin bizarre

Lifestyle, they dont meet eachother and spit on eachothers faces with excitement biitching about Bridie and Mary over a few cups of tae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

When people.say goodbye to Christmas.

What does that mean?

Did you think you would get to go on the 12 pubs with your 20 mates this year?

Bit of perspective.

You can still do all the things you do every Christmas except go to the pub.

Big deal.

Racing Stephens Day, Visiting friends and family, the madness of the last minute shopping. The lovely cosy evenings at the pub in the build up.

It will be some weird Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

petes wrote: »
    So now you've changed tact? Interesting.

Nope, I'd consider a vaccine approved by the EMA as something or by the WHO.

I certainly wouldn't be trusting something approved in such undemocratic countries.

Will you be lining up for Russia or China's finest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I know some people get a horn dreaming of banning people from seeing their families, destroying jobs, banning alcohol, and so on but is there any plan to improve our testing response times, contact tracing, hospital and ICU capacity, or does anyone give a bollocks about the only practical means to manage COVID-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Pretzill wrote: »
    You can still meet and follow the restrictions - you'll just have to wrap up and be outside :(

Waheyyyy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Both Sinovac’s vaccine and the Russian Sputnik vaccine are approved for use.
    Just because the Guardian refuses to accept the Russians and Chinese got there first doesn’t mean there’s no vaccine.

Approved because China and Russia never tested them to the West's standards and rushed them out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My girlfriend is 11 miles up the road from me and in another county. She's just gone berserk because I suggested holding off going up there for a couple of weekends. I want to obey the rules but I'm going to lose her if I do.

Can still meet up outside. I suggest a walk in a nearby park or along a beach if possible.

Preferably one with a nice cave out of sight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Divisadero wrote: »
    Perhaps but a serious attempt could be made. Especially in high profile cases. That might send a message to some of those on the selfish blockhead spectrum. Not the hardcore of course they won't be supporting our healthcare workers. Only moaning about their rights if they can't get prompt medical attention if they are unfortunate enough to need it. Proper enforcement would also support those of us trying our best and growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of robust enforcement.

For example those protests in Dublin by the anti-lockdown crowd and the anti-facist mob protesting against them. Plenty of Garda resources were available there. Instead of trying to keep both sides apart they shouldn't have been allowed to gather in the first place. Give them a couple of warnings to disperse and if they refuse baton charge them off the streets. Same for the BLM crowd or the GAA post match celebrations. Large crowds aren't supposed to gather. If more legislation is required than bring it in on a temporary basis.

Far better use of Garda resources than pissing everyone off with road blocks on the M50 that they can't even enforce.

Let's be honest here, as much as we all want a scapegoat to blame for the rise, it's probable most of it is attributable to people doing things that were within guidelines at that moment in time e.g. going to school, visiting another family, meeting friends for a coffee etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Waheyyyy

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Necro wrote: »
    Are they approved by the European authorities yet? If so..

*Rolls up sleeve*

Who said they'd be going in to your arm? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

hey, whats happened, cant keep up with the thread. I take a break to have my first visitor in the house in 9 months or so and.. what?.....Are we all evacuating the planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

mcburns07 wrote: »
    As much as I don't fully agree with the restricitions.

Surely you can comprehend the difference between things being essential and frivolous?

Travelling to another county for leisure or visiting friends are things we can live without for a while. Kids need an education.

The fact that visiting other households to have actual face to face social interactions could be considered frivolous is mental but that's 2020 for you.

The virus is responsible were told.

Surely the virus isn’t so smart that it’s able to distinguish between essential and frivolous.

It’s clear that it’s spreading in schools and workplaces but restrictions are totally aimed at social settings.

It’s ridiculous trying to even justify that it’s private homes etc is the main point of transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

PsychoPete wrote: »
    There isn't a hope I'd be injecting anything from Russia or China into my body
    lol where do you think it will be actually made ? india,china 100%

think of apple designed in US made in china approach.

Journalist: Is Halloween cancelled as of tonight?

MM: "Different", not cancelled. People can't be knocking on doors, " it's not possible, shouldn't happen."

"Less congregation, less engagement."

Unless you're in a school, the sword this govenment will fall on.

It is always a risk benefit analysis. What is of more benefit, open schools or Trick or treating? Contacts don’t have to reduce very much to halt growth. We are not at march levels with an r0 of 3+. As it is 50% or more infections are being prevented. Another 20% puts it well in decline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Waiting for a vaccine is a fools plan.
    Herd immunity is an idiot's tactic.

The truth is neither side can know this for sure.

But the current carry on is bullsh1t. It can't go on like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

PsychoPete wrote: »
    There isn't a hope I'd be injecting anything from Russia or China into my body
    I hate to break it to you, but a large number of our medicines are manufactured in China (and India).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Who said they'd be going in to your arm? :D

I don't do suppositories!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

My girlfriend is 11 miles up the road from me and in another county. She's just gone berserk because I suggested holding off going up there for a couple of weekends. I want to obey the rules but I'm going to lose her if I do.

As long as you're sensible and not exposing yourself and she's not exposing herself only meet her and not her family in the house I wouldn't be worried about crossing the county boundary when your journey is only 11 miles.

I am on a county boundary and 3 other counties within 5 miles. The county boundary thing is a blunt instrument and using common sense is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Lifestyle, they dont meet eachother and spit on eachothers faces with excitement biitching about Bridie and Mary over a few cups of tae.
    And they do in Germany, Italy, France, Czech Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Meet at the county border, only part of you need break the rules ;)

• Advertisement

It’s clear that it’s spreading in schools and workplaces but restrictions are totally aimed at social settings.

It’s ridiculous trying to even justify that it’s private homes etc is the main point of transmission
    The government has prioritised schools. It's not that one is safer than the other. We need schools more than we need communion parties or GAA celebrations.

As long as you're sensible and not exposing yourself and she's not exposing herself only meet her and not her family in the house I wouldn't be worried about crossing the county boundary when your journey is only 11 miles.

I am on a county boundary and 3 other counties within 5 miles. The county boundary thing is a blunt instrument and using common sense is more important.

XuCPcifRb1ydxnn0iPg1gwX26VFxBk9zWPkqVE7OfXjINZBl8HZAbtZHawDLL3kKxHLgK4ZCw7wSna0z8ooTSsVnad-DZtnAx_Q-1DAphEBys4uU5UsMdtqTZIwWAMk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

statesaver wrote: »
    A bank predicts it so must be true. They wouldn't lie would they

I don't now but share price go up and down on stranger things.

If it was Bloomberg it would be more believable.

I just happened across that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

hmmm wrote: »
    We need schools more than we need communion parties or GAA celebrations.

This is being obtuse, social gatherings aren't just parties. They're a necessity.

Both Sinovac’s vaccine and the Russian Sputnik vaccine are approved for use.
    Just because the Guardian refuses to accept the Russians and Chinese got there first doesn’t mean there’s no vaccine.

The Russian vaccines are effectively in phase 3 trials, even if they are calling them apprIced after tests in 100 volunteers

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

Necro wrote: »
    Can still meet up outside. I suggest a walk in a nearby park or along a beach if possible.

Preferably one with a nice cave out of sight ;)

So travelling through a county boundary is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I think the whole point of meeting the girlfriend is to expose yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Balagan1 wrote: »

Not advised in level 3

This is being obtuse, social gatherings aren't just parties. They're a necessity.
    It's a pandemic. Governments need to make choices and large numbers of people die or suffer economic hardship if they make the wrong choice.

• Advertisement

Balagan1 wrote: »

Depends, is it an essential journey? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement