Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Will be interesting to see if the pubs and restaurants actually close up north or whether they are closed like in 'very high' areas in Britain where they are open if they sell a substantial meal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Sounds pretty bad over in Clare, media is not reporting what’s really going on. I read that there are bodies lying all over the roads and food shortages have led to cannibalism.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Less of the clare jokes, we are all lovely people down here. Its the limerick crowd crossing the border that infected us.

"It's a lon...ong way from Clare to here". Thank God ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

It actually takes longer down here to make a decision in Stormont even though they don't have a functioning government.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it being done but it'll take a bit longer.
    Usually goes like that here.
    • NPHET meet --->
    • Give Gov a recommendation --->
    • Leo leaks it and says he's against it -->
    • MM can't act on it as he'd be the bad guy -->
    • We wait 2 weeks --->
    • It gets worse ---->
    • Then they panic and implement a 3.5 version --->
    • Wait another two weeks while it get's worse and then
    • Repeat.

Leaderships sans accountability.

Remember, any questions on decisions answer, "The virus is responsible".

We closed the pubs and restaurants in Dublin 3.5 weeks ago, a quick and early decision. The northern executive has been watching the situation get totally out of control and is only taking action now, much too late. It's pretty extraordinary to suggest they make decisions more quickly up there, laughably untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Schools closing in the north it looks like. Biting the bullet.

We are keeping them open no matter what in keeping with Michael Martin's hill to die on strategy.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1316113032083394565?s=20
    Stormont ministers are tonight working towards an agreement on new covid-19 restrictions. It is understood the measures include the closure of pubs and restaurants for four weeks, and the closure of all schools for at least a fortnight from Monday next

I'd prefer to see a strategy of Close Schools for 3 weeks, keep pubs etc. open - and then the opposite. At least see where the transmission is occuring most. Doing both leaves no conclusion.

"It's a lon...ong way from Clare to here". Thank God ;)

There was a sense in many rural areas during August and much of September that this was 'a Dublin problem'... people really let their guard down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Yes we can follow what the north does. But they cannot be seen to follow what the republic does.

Doesn't matter and it shouldn't either.

This "us and them" will recede if we work together rather than ranting about the Sitchyation.

This is life or death now, not foot and mouth in cows. But that worked cross border quite well.

Might be the makings of all of them. They were all useless up to now, just a talking shop with an income stream from Westminster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

We closed the pubs and restaurants in Dublin 3.5 weeks ago, a quick and early decision. The northern executive has been watching the situation get totally out of control and is only taking action now, much too late. It's pretty extraordinary to suggest they make decisions more quickly up there, laughably untrue.

Sorry. Talking about Schools and our current laughable "process".
    I left out the steering committee wedged in between Nepht and Gov.
    I think their main role is to forward the texts and leak the ones Leo wants out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The Dutch are going to have a ban on alcohol sales after 8pm, limit the size of social gatherings and all bars, restaurants and coffee shops to close.
    Schools to remain open.

For 4 weeks from tomorrow.

One to watch I think

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was a sense in many rural areas during August and much of September that this was 'a Dublin problem'... people really let their guard down...

Especially as that was time of Staycations people from Dublin and elsewhere circulating round the island.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Yes we can follow what the north does. But they cannot be seen to follow what the republic does.

I’ve heard many times that there was full agreement of action between North and South when we had the Foot and Mouth crisis a few years ago and if we can do it for animals, why not do it for humans?
    I think we should remember that the primary action taken was to slaughter all animals that were infected or were possibly in any contact with infected animals.
    We should be careful about using analogies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

The Dutch are going to have a ban on alcohol sales after 8pm, limit the size of social gatherings and all bars, restaurants and coffee shops to close.
    Schools to remain open.

One to watch I think

That's pretty much Ireland

Schools to remain open.

One to watch I think

Another country taking action very late. We are the shining example in the EU of making quick decisions to close pubs and restaurants.

Sorry. Talking about Schools and our current laughable "process".
    I left out the steering committee wedged in between Nepht and Gov.
    I think their main role is to forward the texts and leak the ones Leo wants out there.

But our process takes much quicker decisions than they do up North.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Schools to remain open.

One to watch I think

Very little difference there compared to Dublin tbh apart from the small minority of open pubs serving outdoors and no alcohol sales after 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It actually takes longer down here to make a decision in Stormont even though they don't have a functioning government.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it being done but it'll take a bit longer.
    Usually goes like that here.
    • NPHET meet --->
    • Give Gov a recommendation --->
    • Leo leaks it and says he's against it -->
    • MM can't act on it as he'd be the bad guy -->
    • We wait 2 weeks --->
    • It gets worse ---->
    • Then they panic and implement a 3.5 version --->
    • Wait another two weeks while it get's worse and then
    • Repeat.

Leaderships sans accountability.

Remember, any questions on decisions answer, "The virus is responsible".

You'll find we have made many decisions in the time the NI Executive has been dithering over their rising numbers. They weren't even discussing options for weeks while the case numbers were clearly running out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

99,593 tests in the last 7 days thats 10,421 more tests than the previous 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Schools to remain open.

One to watch I think

They have others things to get them through....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I’ve heard many times that there was full agreement of action between North and South when we had the Foot and Mouth crisis a few years ago and if we can do it for animals, why not do it for humans?
    I think we should remember that the primary action taken was to slaughter all animals that were infected or were possibly in any contact with infected animals.
    We should be careful about using analogies!

Big Ian said that the people were British, but the cows were Irish. That’s how that came about.

But our process takes much quicker decisions than they do up North.

Ok, but if they close pubs and schools on Monday while our cases and hospitalisations rise then thats not 100% sure.

I'm more referring to schools which the Gov have effectively said will remain closed no matter what. Unless there is a hidden sixth level which we haven't reach yet.

529194.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ok, but if they close pubs and schools on Monday while our cases and hospitalisations rise then thats not 100% sure.

I'm more referring to schools which the Gov have effectively said will remain no matter what. Unless there is a hidden sixth level which we haven't reach yet.

529194.jpg

What the Irish Gov say on schools
    No matter what they do (ooh). No matter what they teach you. What you believe is true And I will keep you safe and strong

• Advertisement

Another country taking action very late. We are the shining example in the EU of making quick decisions to close pubs and restaurants.

You might want to forward that to the nursing homes that are currently riddled with it for a second time in a year. Wouldn't be so quick with your shining example medal.

https://twitter.com/dublinsnap/status/1313498364022083584?s=20

https://twitter.com/save_marys/status/1313429439003451394?s=20

Will the border counties go to LEVEL 4 on the back of this on Thursday? It would suit NPHET if the NI assembly call this by tomorrow

I would then anticipate border counties with exception of Leitrim to be moved to Level 4.

Cork could also be moved to Level 4.

I think Dublin will be held on watch for another 7 days.

Tough times ahead for our great nation

Our great continent

Our great EUROPEAN UNION

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Passport office lower level staff back in the office. 150+ of them over 3 floors. All the big wigs still at home. Two employees on Reddit saying it is unsafe and there are too many people in the office in unsafe conditions.

Another floor due back in soon too.

Government departments not following government advice... Shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I honestly cannot believe there's people on here who think Northern Ireland, the place with among the highest infection rates in Europe, is doing better than we are

I honestly cannot believe there's people on here who think Northern Ireland, the place with among the highest infection rates in Europe, is doing better than we are

Then don't. Do you think that they are wrong to close the schools? Do you think that we should have a level 6 with school closures?

It's not a football match no one is winning. Both sides of the border didn't listen to different scientific advice at different stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Reduction of 1 in ICU this evening. Not sure if this person has died or been discharged

Now now

The powers that be told parents that they were morons to think this sickness wouldn't arrive in homes in late September like every other dose going does every year

Growth rate the same since July......proportion of kids with the virus less than in august despite being tested more Than previously....positive rate from close contacts in school lower than community.

It has been decided schools have caused the current case levels so people can absolve themselves from responsibility for the way 18 to 50 year olds have behaved. Look at the data, that is where cases have been surging, that’s where the 45 cases came after Moycullen won the Galway County final, that’s who were at the Party in a pub in Roscommon when the owner thought it was ok to not self isolate, freshers week in Galway, Blackrock Gaa and countless others that we all have seen, essentially down to the behaviour of adults, young and not so young. We can say to ourselves 1 million in schools of course it was going to happen, but thats ignoring where these outbreaks are actually happening and we can tell ourselves that the communion shindig, after match gathering, birthday party or whatever else has nothing to do with it, sure everyone knows it’s the schools, now who is having the house party this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Will the border counties go to LEVEL 4 on the back of this on Thursday? It would suit NPHET if the NI assembly call this by tomorrow

I would then anticipate border counties with exception of Leitrim to be moved to Level 4.

Our great continent

Our great EUROPEAN UNION

You'd have to exclude Louth as well as Leitrim . Louth has the Seventh lowest 14 day rate in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Inquitus wrote: »
    We don't subscribe to the 5G causes Covid conspiracy theory either, this is on a par with that. Trump wants to blame China and Bannon finds a patsy to write the requisite paper, which is then torn to shreds by all reputable virologists.

Taiwan wrote to the who Dec 31 and said it was transmissible between people. Jan 20 China let's the world know after the virus has been exported everywhere.

https://www.ft.com/content/2a70a02a-644a-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

Dr Li Meng was part of the Chinese research team into covid19. She's a respected virologist. I want her evidence to be reviewed properly. Sín EA.

Don't know what you lot have against her. I don't think you know yourselves.

Western civilization is collapsing and I'd like to know what happened. I'd like the ft to interview, then at least we'd know to some degree if she has a legitimate claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Our great continent

Our great EUROPEAN UNION

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement