Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You might want to forward that to the nursing homes that are currently riddled with it for a second time in a year. Wouldn't be so quick with your shining example medal.

https://twitter.com/save_marys/status/1313429439003451394?s=20

Great mask wearing there, to try and protect themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Here's most of the circumstantial evidence prior to Dr Li Meng

https://project-evidence.github.io/

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Passport office lower level staff back in the office. 150+ of them over 3 floors. All the big wigs still at home. Two employees on Reddit saying it is unsafe and there are too many people in the office in unsafe conditions.

Another floor due back in soon too.

Government departments not following government advice... Shock!

Wouldn't fancy having my passport documents sitting on someone's kitchen table as they work from home all the same

Then again, maybe its all online now making my point entirely redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Here's most of the circumstantial evidence prior to Dr Li Meng

https://project-evidence.github.io/

So it didnt come from bats?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Wouldn't fancy having my passport documents sitting on someone's kitchen table as they work from home all the same

Then again, maybe its all online now making my point entirely redundant

Haha yeah you're passport won't be in anyone's house. They can do the work from home no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Gael23 wrote: »
    Reduction of 1 in ICU this evening. Not sure if this person has died or been discharged

230 in hospital this evening. No change*.
    31 in ICU. Reduction of 1. No deaths in icu in last 24 hrs.

*Hospitals were at 240 this morning after 230 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

GAA seem to have done their best to spread this around the whole country. Don't see why they couldn't have shelved things for this year.

Kerry, Cavan, Wexford, Meath, Fermanagh....and God knows where else. Is The GAA completely riddled with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

You would think sparser areas would be not that bad but look at Cavan/Monaghan.

Yes look at them. Cavan have really ramped up the testing this past week. Have identified the clusters and are holding the virus. 80 cases on saturday, 40 on monday. 22 today. I'm confident we moved in time.

Dont get too alarmed about the 30 cases in Cavan general. the majority were already there as patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

230 in hospital this evening. No change*.
    31 in ICU. Reduction of 1. No deaths in icu in last 24 hrs.

*Hospitals were at 240 this morning after 230 last night.

Good to see hospital numbers seeming to stabilise a bit.

Good to see hospital numbers seeming to stabilise a bit.

Always a drop on a Tuesday I think though as there is usually a discharge lag over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Always a drop on a Tuesday I think though as there is usually a discharge lag over the weekend

Ah, go and spoil my optimism with some facts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Dickie10

should we or can we ever afford to lift level 3 ? will we get extra bed sin ICU if numbers go down? will we have these levels for all next year too? when do people expect them to be lifted? 2022? is next year 21 pretty much wrote off same as this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Dont get too alarmed about the 30 cases in Cavan general. the majority were already there as patients.
    I'm not sure that's all that reassuring... I mean, it's good if Covid didn't put them there, but not so good for people who already have enough crap on their plate...

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's all that reassuring... I mean, it's good if Covid didn't put them there, but not so good for people who already have enough crap on their plate...
    I take your point but on the other hand they weren't new admissions because of Covid.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    should we or can we ever afford to lift level 3 ? will we get extra bed sin ICU if numbers go down? will we have these levels for all next year too? when do people expect them to be lifted? 2022? is next year 21 pretty much wrote off same as this?

Takes these trailblazers to come up with a cost effective solution.

https://combilift.com/en/combi-ventilate/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

230 in hospital same as last night
    31 in ICU was 32 last night.

Not just a Covid issue. Best time to go to a and e if you think you may need to be admitted ( and have the luxury of having the choice of when to go), is midweek morning, after the weekend backlog is cleared and before then next one builds up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

You'll have to ask the government on that 1 whom are keen to allow it continue and have given some different guidelines to Inter County teams than the rest of us. Other sports are going ahead in Britain not sure why they didn't allow Wimbledon behind closed doors?

@Stheno 2 teams in the match and 1 team having a bite to eat in their own county afterwards.

Wimbledon usually takes place in late June and early July - the lockdowns in the UK and Ireland commenced in late March. The UK government couldn't predict what the situation would be in 2 or 3 months - even having only players and staff go to Wimbledon may have been too risky - and it may have been spooked by the opprobrium in the aftermath of Cheltenham and a Six-Nations match.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That Mick Caul lad posts some awful rubbish.

I do think Varadkar and his department have questions to answer about today's events, but will wait until someone more credible than that Twitter account goes looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not just a Covid issue. Best time to go to a and e if you think you may need to be admitted ( and have the luxury of having the choice of when to go), is midweek morning, after the weekend backlog is cleared and before then next one builds up

My daughters been admitted to Crumlin countless times, thankfully not so much in the last while, but it was always a bloody Friday afternoon she’d head south. Nothing happens in hospitals over the weekend. Very difficult to get discharged until Monday as, at least in her case, you’d a couple of teams needed to see you, or even just seeing on call docs was a challenge.

Presume covid is similar given hospitalised cases are likely to have multiple symptoms, not necessarily just respiratory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I fail to see the issue, so he issued the statement while the budget was being read out. If that was the worst thing that happened today we must be in great shape otherwise

It's pretty unprofessional. Wouldnt shock me if he was the one who leaked the level 5 stuff that Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is going to be a long haul.

Those who will observe are the majority IMO. Those who say feck it will spread it.

Can I mention Schools at all, the hidden vector. Not many rules there. Make of that what you will.

I fail to see the issue, so he issued the statement while the budget was being read out. If that was the worst thing that happened today we must be in great shape otherwise

FGS we all knew about the budget measures yesterday. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How are ICUs operating with Covid patients and the ordinary heart attacks/people recovering from serious surgery that goes on day to day?

How are ICUs operating with Covid patients and the ordinary heart attacks/people recovering from serious surgery that goes on day to day?

It is a good question. I don't know the answer, but hopefully the capacity can sustain both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

It's a good question as they're not usually one bed isolated facilities. I know we visited my mom in 2 ICUs and they were multiple bed facilities.

I don't know how they'd contain a cross contamination risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

More evidence of transmission on flights. This time in a CDC preprint about infected cruise passengers who bordered a flight and passed it on to others on the plane.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/12/20-3910_article
    For 11 passengers, none of whom had traveled on the cruise ship, PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 illness developed between 48 hours and 14 days after the flight.

Eight cases were considered flight associated with the distinct SARS-CoV-2 A2-RP strain; the remaining 3 cases (1 with A2-RP) were possibly flight associated. All 11 passengers had been in the same cabin with symptomatic persons who had primary, culture-positive, A2-RP cases. This investigation provides evidence of flight-associated SARS-CoV-2 transmission.

On March 21, 2020, the Western Australia Department of Health was notified that 6 passengers aboard a flight from Sydney, New South Wales, to Perth, West Australia, Australia, on March 19 had tested positive for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) by PCR. All 6 passengers had disembarked from cruise ships that had recently docked in Sydney. In the subsequent 2 weeks, several other cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection were identified among passengers on that flight.

529198.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

A big 2 meter stick i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

GAA seem to have done their best to spread this around the whole country. Don't see why they couldn't have shelved things for this year.
    If there was no sport (and I include other team sports in that), what would all the adults that play them have done since the start of July?

You're seeing some cases now associated with after parties posr finals etc but the sport occupies people and makes it less likely that they are congregating in unregulated indoor settings such as parties.

Onfield transmission clearly isn't an issue. How many matches have been played since July? The total accumulation from that time would be several million people (as in the same few 100k people multiple times in different games), so there was even a moderate risk of its spread we'd surely have seen massive caseload associated with it.

I'm defending the GAA here but I would make the same point for outdoor sports generally.

so why are sports practitioners from all types so frequently in the news about positive tests

• Advertisement

Well if someone knows.... are betting shops open and is horse racing still going ahead. Just wondered.

Gyms? Not that I ever crossed their sweaty smelly doors anyway lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement