Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Terrible piece of casting and yeah I did a double take when I saw that dvd cover in a rental shop. Danny Dyer as Brendan Behan, wtf? That was the first I'd heard of it.

Dyer doesnt play Behan he plays his friend who from what I remember was this really quiet and camp kid but no that Dyer is famous the DVD box has this real "hard" picture of him and not Behan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Dyer doesnt play Behan he plays his friend who from what I remember was this really quiet and camp kid but no that Dyer is famous the DVD box has this real "hard" picture of him and not Behan

Ok, I'm relieved to hear that . I read the book when I was in my teens and had no idea it had been made into a film till I saw that dvd cover. No way was I watching it .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Then that also includes all the Don Bluth studio as well,
    Fielefel Mouse
    Fielefel goes west
    A Mouses Tale etc etc

No, I checked on this beforehand.

Spielberg was involved in the American Tail movies, and insisted they be made in America, so Bluth opened a studio in Arizona.

All Dogs go to Heaven was his big Dublin based movie, some staff did transfer over to help in America - but later Dublin based movies flopped (they did do some of A land before time) and Bluth studios closed, but left a legacy in Ireland of animation and also computer game animation, that still exists today.

This got a limited release in a couple of Cork cinemas in 2005. Its staggeringly bad, think a really pretentious Fatal Deviation with added Celtic mystical mumbo jumbo.

https://youtu.be/cQkP_XNou5s

Ok, I'm relieved to hear that . I read the book when I was in my teens and had no idea it had been made into a film till I saw that dvd cover. No way was I watching it .

I could be remembering it very wrong but I found it a bit light on politics and very soft up until one very serious about turn at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 PointHop123

'Goldfish Memory' (2003)- I saw that in a cinema in Amsterdam (who knows why?) - it's a rom-com about relationships.

'Parked' (2011) starring Colm Meaney about a middle aged man who becomes homeless and lives in his car.

'A date for Mad Mary' (2016) - quite recent. Decent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

I seem to remember "The Girl With Green Eyes" being on television one Sunday afternoon (it wasn't BBC, I checked Genome) and thinking it was a bit "adult" for that timeslot. Edna O'Brien's adaptation of her own book "The Lonely Girl".
    Not bad, I seem to remember, being part of the gritty real life films being made in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This got a limited release in a couple of Cork cinemas in 2005. Its staggeringly bad, think a really pretentious Fatal Deviation with added Celtic mystical mumbo jumbo.

https://youtu.be/cQkP_XNou5s

You got me - I've never seen this before and having just looked at it for a couple of minutes it looks like it could be right up there with Fatal Deviation. I'll be getting in a few bottles of cider before settling down to watch it tonight. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Barry Lyndon
    one of the most visually beautiful films ever made

pause any scene and its like a painting
    Way off topic but, Ran by Akira Kurosawa is similar - it's either an action scene or a painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

magick wrote: »
    War of the Buttons

RTE regularly show it on Sunday afternoons, doesn't seem to know what era it's supposed to be based in, has a green post van which would indicate late 80's but a lot of the rest seems earlier

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another Shore (1948) Ealing Comedy set and filmed in Dublin so YMMV

Man of Aran (1934)

The Informer (1935) Hollywood (4 Oscars) does John Ford doing a Liam O'Flaherty story count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm pretty sure that it was filmed in Toners in Baggot Street, great, great film, one of Leone's best

Think you might be right, I should know that really given the amount of money I've poured into Toners over the last few years!

Ok it's not Irish but it's a Christopher Walken film probably from the 2000s or very late 90s, I can't remember much about it except there's a character in it played by the not Brendan Gleeson actor in I Went Down. And he's just in New York or something with his Dublin accent. Anyone seen it?
    I know I could search the internet for it but sure that'd take the fun out of discussion forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Isolation. Horror film from 2005 about a killer cow!

Hopefully it stays in Isolation forever. Irish horror movies are 30 years behind the curve.

The Closer You Get, Ian Hart wandering around Kincasslagh

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You got me - I've never seen this before and having just looked at it for a couple of minutes it looks like it could be right up there with Fatal Deviation. I'll be getting in a few bottles of cider before settling down to watch it tonight. :D

You'll need more than a few bottles of Cider.:eek: I watched it this afternoon. However the production values are better than Fatal Deviation at least.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Odd Man Out.
    40s thriller with James Mason. He gets injured and left behind after an armed robbery and has to try to make his way across Belfast to safety.
    Great old film.

Sahake hands with the Devil - 1959. Shot on location in Ireland and at Ardmore studios. James Cagney and a young Steptoe by the name of Harry (without the H) Corbett. A young Richard Harris too and an Irish based story.

Assault of Darkness aka Legend of the Bog aka Bog Bodies aka Bog Body.:confused:
    Vinnie Jones hunts a 2000 year old re-animated bogman.

Dracula Untold. Filmed in Ireland and directed by my mates little brother, we're high achievers in Artane. Supposed to be sh*te but it really killed it at the box office and made a fortune.

• Advertisement

Rawhead Rex, dodgy 80's horror

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Johnstown Monster

A kids film about a Loch Ness style creature in an Irish lake.

1970s

Are there any Irish made films that have stood the test of time and would still be well known in UK and US?

Are there any Irish made films that have stood the test of time and would still be well known in UK and US?

I'll offer up My Left Foot and The Field. No Irish money involved, but Irish stories, producers and Director. Not a mad fan of Sheridan, but back then they tried and earned Oscars and nominations. Both films very well known around the world.

I Cant...I Cant... (1970). Also known as Wedding Night. Irish films dont get much more obscure than this one. Saw clips of it on the Blizzard Of Odd. Dennis Waterman is in it, screenplay by Lee Dunne, once the most banned writer in Ireland. Apparently this was banned here for years because if its exploration of sexual mores.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

In truth thread title is a bit off as these days everything is blurred with the pace of things, films, acts of terror, pandemics, crises etc. and today's blockbuster is soon forgotten.

I Cant...I Cant... (1970). Also known as Wedding Night. Irish films dont get much more obscure than this one. Saw clips of it on the Blizzard Of Odd. Dennis Waterman is in it, screenplay by Lee Dunne, once the most banned writer in Ireland. Apparently this was banned here for years because if its exploration of sexual mores.

One of the very few Irish based films that actually dealt with real life crap. Nowhere to be seen. It was a darker version of the English film, The Family Way starring Hayley Mills and her Dad with H Bennet. Roles and reasons reversed. The IFI have it and should show it more.

The Commitments.

What is an Irish made film ? Especially nowadays as everything is a co-production

Hush a bye baby, Sinead with hair O'Connor

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The Commitments.

What is an Irish made film ? Especially nowadays as everything is a co-production

When I was in Film School way way back, I asked Noel Pearson that question. It was at a time when "Irish Films" were produced and Directed by non Irish people. Maybe an Irish Director. Maybe an Irish story/setting with American/British oroducers/Directors. At the time a true Irish made film was apparently Irish money and Irish crew. That only existed in state funded shorts. Therefore it never existed. We never actually had a film industry like other countries and still don't.

Advertisement