Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Has Joyriders been mentioned ?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Len_007

Saltwater.
    Starring your man from I Went Down, & Brendan Gleeson.
    Also, I was in TY at the time, & the whole year group got drafted in to be extra’s in an under age pub scene which was shot in the old Bray Head hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Guiltrip (1995)
    Rough Gerry Stembridge effort.

Filmed in various locations across Kildare, not a cheap filming process from the bits of set construction etc I saw as a kid. Never saw the movie as my mother wouldn't let me see it when it was on TV and its not been shown in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L1011 wrote: »
    Filmed in various locations across Kildare, not a cheap filming process from the bits of set construction etc I saw as a kid. Never saw the movie as my mother wouldn't let me see it when it was on TV and its not been shown in years.

Oh I remember Guilt Trip now, think it was shown on RTE2 one time ... tough viewing, subject matter wise domestic abuse... Andrew Connolly was a right b*****d in that. All credit to the cast on that one but it's not going to be a big draw.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OUTOFCONTROL

High Boot Benny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

breezy1985 wrote: »
    His best was Miles O'Brien. He played an Irish man on US TV with zero cheese or stereotypes

He plays a regular Irishman, wasn't he in 'The Dead' as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

L1011 wrote: »

Is that the one the main character is in the army, your man from Ballykissangel is in it and Mrs Doyle, her name will come to me, saw it years ago, Main character beats the wife to death

High Boot Benny.

Is that filmed at Dundee fort?

dvcireland wrote: »

May as well throw in Black Ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

breezy1985 wrote: »
    His best was Miles O'Brien. He played an Irish man on US TV with zero cheese or stereotypes

Well...

tumblr_inline_p8nloqZYLK1r582r6_500.jpg

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Has anyone mentioned "Quackser Fortune has a cousin in the Bronx"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

dvcireland wrote: »

I mentioned it a few pages in.

High Boot Benny.

I watched that during a six film video viewing marathon one night in the mid 90s. I rented it out as I'd been meaning to see it for a while to find my flatmate had rented out five other videos, all of them terrible, one was Highlander II The Quickening

Divine Rapture 1995

Abandoned

with Marlon Brando

Is that the one the main character is in the army, your man from Ballykissangel is in it and Mrs Doyle, her name will come to me, saw it years ago, Main character beats the wife to death

It was a woman he was having an affair with that he kills. The wife of the mild mannered fella in the shop if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Does anyone remember Run Of The Country.
    Say nothing till you hear more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Crush proof and Accelerator (Carol from Fair City is in that- playing the same character)

Both about skangers

Funny how for all the hype it got from the Irish media - Garage is not uttered by anyone much - not a bad film btw but certainly forgotten

As for that Irish Times article - hilarious . They put in a film that had NOTHING to do with Ireland as a subject or location as number 1 . Ignore funny films like I went Down . They put in Johnny Connors Card board gangster dirge despite it being no better than the two films mentioned above

The Knacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I watched that during a six film video viewing marathon one night in the mid 90s. I rented it out as I'd been meaning to see it for a while to find my flatmate had rented out five other videos, all of them terrible, one was Highlander II The Quickening

I went to a great deal of trouble tracking "High Boot Benny" down on VHS - what a waste of time - bizarre rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Divine Rapture 1995

Abandoned

with Marlon Brando

Known by many as Divine Rupture due to the fiasco it turned into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well...

tumblr_inline_p8nloqZYLK1r582r6_500.jpg

He refused the drink cause he's on duty. The episode is racist as F but nothing to do with him.

That episode also contains an Aran jumper that would give the nuns a heart attack

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Don't know if was mentioned but Wakewood, a horror movie from 2009. Wasn't a classic by any stretch of the imagination. Just watched it as it was filmed in Pettico, which is not too far from where I'm from. Didn't realise Aidan Gillen was in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Divine Rapture 1995
    Abandoned
    with Marlon Brando

Gets more write ups than many films that were actually made.
    I think there was an article about it in a recent Ireland's Own.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Anton - director got laughed at and slated on RTE's The View. Now hiding in a log cabin in the West after his career crashed.

Budawanny was another strange one. Controversial when it came out, circa 1987. The storyline about a parish priest fathering a love child was pretty prescient given what would come out about Bishop Brennan, I mean Eamon Casey.

cj maxx wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Run Of The Country.
    Say nothing till you hear more :)

Albert Finney as a guard on the border, mid nineties, Main character is an awful moaner

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

60 years ago I saw Caption Boycott At the time I did not understand it very well . So last week I saw it on TV .It is funny Great old Irish actors .Full of history
    and shows how England did not understand then .same today. PS i love old b/w movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

flossy1 wrote: »
    60 years ago I saw Caption Boycott At the time I did not understand it very well . So last week I saw it on TV .It is funny Great old Irish actors .Full of history
    and shows how England did not understand then .same today. PS i love old b/w movies

Interesting fact about it. The horse racing scene was shot at Mullingar race course, now long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

flossy1 wrote: »

I refuse to watch it ; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Eat the Peach (1986) starring Niall Toibin. Motorcycle wall of death Irish style.....

Advertisement