Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060177/

The Blue Max, largely filmed in Ireland in 1966 starring George Peppard (He of the A team), James Mason and Ursula Andress. A big budget movie about a German air ace in WW1 and his obsessive quest to win the Blue Max, the award for 20 kills.

One of the most notable thing about this film was that the stunt pilot, Derek Pigott, flew a total of 32 passes, including 17 through the narrow span, under the railway viaduct at Fermoy in a triplane. He had a four foot clearance either side of the narrow span. No one else would do it....., mind you he lived to the age of 96!

Viaduct_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

thejuggler wrote: »
    Eat the Peach (1986) starring Niall Toibin. Motorcycle wall of death Irish style.....

Pat Kenny was in Eat The Peach, as himself. In fact without bothering to look it up, was it he who saw the actual wall of death in Longford on which the film was based?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Eat the Peach (1986) starring Niall Toibin. Motorcycle wall of death Irish style.....
    Wasn't that the one where they went to the dodgy border pub asking for petrol after they ran out. Little knowing that 'Petrol' was the nickname of an old provo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

As for that Irish Times article - hilarious . They put in a film that had NOTHING to do with Ireland as a subject or location as number 1 . Ignore funny films like I went Down . They put in Johnny Connors Card board gangster dirge despite it being no better than the two films mentioned above

The character of Barry Lyndon is Irish, and the early scenes are set in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've seen some of these "forgotten" movies on TV quite recently.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    I've seen some of these "forgotten" movies on TV quite recently.

Someone mentioned Rawhead Rex, which is available on BluRay, has been the subject of a recent Newstalk documentary on its production, and of a RedLetterMedia YouTube video with nearly 500k views. “Forgotten”

“Horowitz in Dublin”, 70s crime mystery with Harvey Lembeck and Sinéad Cusack. Whole thing is on YouTube. Looks a bit dull but there is footage of Dublin at the time that might be of interest to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

"Children in the Crossfire"

About kids from Belfast who are sent to America for the summer for a break. How the change of surroundings allowed religious divides to break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

El Tarangu wrote: »

I don't know if it is still well-known now, but the Crying Game (and the 'twist') was a huge cultural touchstone when it came out - Mayor Quimby references it on an episode of the Simpsons in '93 or '94, so you don't much more mainstream awareness than that.

Naked gun2 does as well,

It occurs to me know that 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective', came out about the same time, and also had a cross-dressing romantic storyline; it seems like accidently kissing a bloke in a dress was a big concern for cinema-goers in the early 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Not an Irish made move but an honorable mention to High Spirits.

Steve Guttenburg, Daryl Hannah, Liam Nesson, Ray McAnally & a slightly sloshed Peter O'Toole.

Utterly terrible stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dealz are selling copies of this for €1.50 on dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Dealz are selling copies of this for €1.50 on dvd.

They seemed to be giving it away with one of the Sunday papers every other week back in the mid-00s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Lovely slow moving film called 'The Secret of Roan Inish' with the late Mick Lally

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Roan_Inish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Someone mentioned Rawhead Rex, which is available on BluRay, has been the subject of a recent Newstalk documentary on its production, and of a RedLetterMedia YouTube video with nearly 500k views. “Forgotten”

Newstallk means forgotten in my view, it and Radio Maria share the the same response "who put that fxxking sh1te on"
    Watched Rawhead Red alongside The Revenge of Billy the Kid around 1991-2 haven't seen either since

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102783/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

When Brendan Met Trudy

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

ShyMets wrote: »
    Not an Irish made move but an honorable mention to High Spirits.

Steve Guttenburg, Daryl Hannah, Liam Nesson, Ray McAnally & a slightly sloshed Peter O'Toole.

Utterly terrible stuff

Shot at Dromoland Castle former seat of the Earls of Thomond

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Shot at Dromoland Castle former seat of the Earls of Thomond

Shot at Dromore Castle - not the same place. The one that looks like the Rock of Cashel from a distance.

Newstallk means forgotten in my view, it and Radio Maria share the the same response "who put that fxxking sh1te on"
    Watched Rawhead Red alongside The Revenge of Billy the Kid around 1991-2 haven't seen either since

It probably deserves to be forgotten but Arrow Films rescued it from obscurity for a restored br release.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ShyMets wrote: »
    Not an Irish made move but an honorable mention to High Spirits. Steve Guttenburg, Daryl Hannah, Liam Nesson, Ray McAnally & a slightly sloshed Peter O'Toole. Utterly terrible stuff

Directed by Neil Jordan too! Roger Ebert said...
    Jordan insists the film was taken from him and recut by the studio, but it's hard to imagine how any editor could've made sense out of this unholy mess.

I suspect the cast had more craic making it than any of the audience watching it...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Shot at Dromore Castle - not the same place. The one that looks like the Rock of Cashel from a distance.

The person why showed me the film told me it was Dromoland. It was the only reason I watched that nonsense.

Should of known it was gonna be awful with Guttenburg in it. Sure we all know the real reason he was a star

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Directed by Neil Jordan too! Roger Ebert said...
    Jordan insists the film was taken from him and recut by the studio, but it's hard to imagine how any editor could've made sense out of this unholy mess.

I suspect the cast had more craic making it than any of the audience watching it...

I thought O'Toole had quit the booze by the time this was made. But watching the trailer again, I'm not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Rawhead Rex is probably better known in Britain than it is here. I think they're bigger into their horror, cult cinema there and it was written by Clive Barker who has a big following among horror fans.

All Souls Day (1997). Directed by Alan Gilsnan who's generally better known for documentaries. Saw it at the Cork film festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A real forgotten Irish film and a greatly under appreciated film at that. At the time, I was immersed in the horror genre, but I remember it's eventual release which was a couple of years after the official release date. Grim. Really grim and while it had it's production problems, it was quite simply a brilliant depiction of inner city Dublin issues during very hard times.

Pigs - Directed by Cathal Black. Officially 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Rawhead Rex is probably better known in Britain than it is here. I think they're bigger into their horror, cult cinema there and it was written by Clive Barker who has a big following among horror fans.

I think they may have been trying to piggyback on Barkers Hellraiser but Rex is no Pinhead

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You'll need more than a few bottles of Cider.:eek: I watched it this afternoon. However the production values are better than Fatal Deviation at least.:D

I finally watched "Biopsy Shake" tonight - alcohol free - but I might as well have been langered as I couldn't understand it from beginning to end. Some pretty women but no sex and the out-takes were more fun than the movie - especially the unfortunate horse stopping to take a leak. Were there many drugs involved do you think? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQkP_XNou5s

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I finally watched "Biopsy Shake" tonight - alcohol free - but I might as well have been langered as I couldn't understand it from beginning to end. Some pretty women but no sex and the out-takes were more fun than the movie - especially the unfortunate horse stopping to take a leak. Were there many drugs involved do you think? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQkP_XNou5s

One of the oddest things about that film, and theres plenty odd about it ,are the comments in the YouTube video. Theres not a single negative as far as I can see. And an awful lot from Asia for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Anyone remember Captive?, Dublin crime film around the mid 80's.

dd973 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Captive?, Dublin crime film around the mid 80's.

Is that the one the Edge did the soundtrack music for? I vaguely remember reading an article about it when it came out but have never seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Nothing Personal starring James Frain, Ian Hart, Michael Gambon, and that fella who kind of looks like Brian Kennedy.

Very good film, and you can find it on youtube.

Advertisement