Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did The Playboys get a mention, Robin Wright Penn and Albert Finney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

dd973 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Captive?, Dublin crime film around the mid 80's.

Are you sure about the title as I can't find any mention online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Can't Link it now but if you Wikipedia The Edge you'll find a link to it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The Captive on IMDB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is Sinead O'Connor & The Edge, from the Captive soundtrack. Great track. Video is from a different movie.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Can't Link it now but if you Wikipedia The Edge you'll find a link to it there.

"Captive"

Okay, so here's the IMDB entry for the movie - only vaguely Irish connections that I can find are that the Edge and SInead O'Connor were involved in the soundtrack? It was about the Patty Hearst kidnapping and released in 1986. Was it shot in Dublin - can't find any reference to that? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090795/

And no, it was shot in the UK https://www.mikesouthon.biz/portfolio/captive-full so unless someone knows better it is not a forgotten Irish movie.

Forgot to mention that the full movie is available at that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

firefly08 wrote: »
    Nothing Personal starring James Frain, Ian Hart, Michael Gambon, and that fella who kind of looks like Brian Kennedy.

Very good film, and you can find it on youtube.

John Lynch. Yeah it's not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Pigman murders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

vriesmays wrote: »
    Pigman murders.

Terrible thing to be going around killing pigmen.

I'm at one with George Costanza on them...
    "I wish there were pigmen. You get a few of these pigmen walking around I'm looking a whole lot better. Then if somebody wants to fix me up at least they could say, Hey he's no pig-man! "

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The Courier, Gabriel Byrne gangster film, late 80s
    Drinking Crude, Colin Farrell cleaning oil tanks

Speed dating - it's not stalking it's research., It's not a good movie, it's an Irish movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The Courier, Gabriel Byrne gangster film, late 80s
    Drinking Crude, Colin Farrell cleaning oil tanks

Aiden Gillen as a drugged up rent boy in a sauna.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭interlocked

Del Monte will remember this one!

The First Great Train Robbery (1978) starring Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland and Lesley Anne Down and directed by Michael Crichton who would later direct Jurassic Park.

A big deal at the time, the story revolved around a train robbery between London Bridge and Folkestone in 1855. Heuston Station was transformed into London Bridge Station of the time, and I think, Cork station was Folkestone.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.vOvEWLKRDDjxAS6NRTaVxQAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

The railway scenes were shot on the now closed Athlone to Mullingar line, the film company paying for the restoration of 184, one of the steam loco owned by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland, along with its sister 186 which double headed the train and they also built an entire train of mocked up period coaches.
    6004%20GSWR%20J15%20184%20at%20Bray%20in%20SER%20livery.JPG

Connery performed his own stunts in the film which included a good bit of carriage roof walking and ducking under bridges, he slipped and nearly fell off at one stage

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.EXUmZ3a4xjt6EcxkJYUSdgHaF7%26pid%3DApi&f=1

greattrainrobbery-archives-photo6.jpg

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.EXUmZ3a4xjt6EcxkJYUSdgHaF7%26pid%3DApi&f=1

A great yarn, well worth a few hours if you see it on the telly.

The mock up coaches were still dumped in Bray station in 1982, I think they were sold as hen houses, maybe some of them still exist.

Alas poor old 184 is languishing, awaiting another film saviour, maybe they'll do a remake!

njl_184_plat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

All of them except the commitments the snapper the van and the quiet man.

The First Great Train Robbery (1978) starring Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland and Lesley Anne Down and directed by Michael Crichton who would later direct Jurassic Park.

Yes, I remember the movie alright but more for the 24 year-old Lesley-Anne Down - than some clapped out old steam engine. :D

jccppu0x7a3z3a0.jpg?djet1p5k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Between the Canals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Aiden Gillen as a drugged up rent boy in a sauna.:eek:

Hes in it under his real name, Aidan Murphy.

Also notable for a cameo by Toni The Exotic dancer, if you know who she is you're showing your age.

Cait O Riordan of the Pogues plays the love interest, talented musician and beautiful as she was, a really bad actress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭mvt

Two films from the late 90s about Irish immigrants in New York. Gold In The Streets with a young Aidan Gillen.

2×4 directed by and starting Jimmy Smallhorne. That got the Blizzard Of Odd treatment from Colin Murphy. There was a gay sex scene in it and Murphy memorably described it as looking like "seeing Aslan shagging each other"

Is that 2x4 also know as brothers of the board? Or something with sheetrock in the title?

Might be getting mixed up here, vaguely knew Jimmy Smallhorne from the Irish Theatre in the Bronx & to my shame have never seen that film

Never heard of the other one either which is strange considering I spent the whole of the 90's in NY, will have to check both of these out.

Great thread btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This thread reminded me of a drama / serious film that was on the TV in Boise, Idaho one night when I was out that way with work. I'm nearly sure it was an Irish film and I could never find it.

The premise seemed to be a bachelor living out in the wilds of Ireland who falls in a love with a girl who helps out around the house. I'd wager it was made (and was set) in the late 90s to mid-2000s and there isn't a huge amount of talking in the film.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    This thread reminded me of a drama / serious film that was on the TV in Boise, Idaho one night when I was out that way with work. I'm nearly sure it was an Irish film and I could never find it.

The premise seemed to be a bachelor living out in the wilds of Ireland who falls in a love with a girl who helps out around the house. I'd wager it was made (and was set) in the late 90s to mid-2000s and there isn't a huge amount of talking in the film.

There's a Stephen Rea film where he's a hermit, was the young woman German or Dutch or something

Zardoz, awful 70s muck with Sean Connery
    Fu Manchu movies from the 60s

A big deal at the time, the story revolved around a train robbery between London Bridge and Folkestone in 1855. Heuston Station was transformed into London Bridge Station of the time, and I think, Cork station was Folkestone.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.vOvEWLKRDDjxAS6NRTaVxQAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

The railway scenes were shot on the now closed Athlone to Mullingar line, the film company paying for the restoration of 184, one of the steam loco owned by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland, along with its sister 186 which double headed the train and they also built an entire train of mocked up period coaches.
    6004%20GSWR%20J15%20184%20at%20Bray%20in%20SER%20livery.JPG

Connery performed his own stunts in the film which included a good bit of carriage roof walking and ducking under bridges, he slipped and nearly fell off at one stage

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.EXUmZ3a4xjt6EcxkJYUSdgHaF7%26pid%3DApi&f=1

greattrainrobbery-archives-photo6.jpg

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.EXUmZ3a4xjt6EcxkJYUSdgHaF7%26pid%3DApi&f=1

A great yarn, well worth a few hours if you see it on the telly.

The mock up coaches were still dumped in Bray station in 1982, I think they were sold as hen houses, maybe some of them still exist.

Alas poor old 184 is languishing, awaiting another film saviour, maybe they'll do a remake!

njl_184_plat.jpg

Crichton wrote Jurassic Park, Congo and Coma, as well as Westworld, Spielberg directed Jurrassic park

Assault of Darkness aka Legend of the Bog aka Bog Bodies aka Bog Body.:confused:
    Vinnie Jones hunts a 2000 year old re-animated bogman.

Amy Huberman gets decapitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

I remember that being shown on RTE.. One grim film particularly the ending.

I remember that being shown on RTE.. One grim film particularly the ending.

Quite good though. At least that's how I remember it.

Property of the State - about the Brendan O'Donnell killings. I remember it because the film broke down in the Savoy and they restarted it at a different part.
    When the lights came on there were about three people in the audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Zardoz, awful 70s muck with Sean Connery
    Fu Manchu movies from the 60s

Don't worry it's been mentioned already and can never be forgotten.

Also under the constitution ZARDOZ must always be spelled using all caps

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Don't worry it's been mentioned already and can never be forgotten.

Also under the constitution ZARDOZ must always be spelled using all caps

Channel 4 did a season of Connery films about 25 years ago, seen it then and still remember how awful it was, funny how bad movies stick in your head longer than reasonably passable ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I could quote films here for weeks, but I'd be cheating. I have a book, "The story of Irish Film", by Arthur Flynn and I recommend it if you are interested in films made in Ireland and the story of Ardmore studios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Channel 4 did a season of Connery films about 25 years ago, seen it then and still remember how awful it was, funny how bad movies stick in your head longer than reasonably passable ones

Some things can never be unseen
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.geekalerts.com%2Fu%2Fzardoz_2421582b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Advertisement