Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Homelander wrote: »
    I'm usually fairly forgiving with Irish movies but that one was absolute scutter of the highest order. Was shocked Gleeson, Ward and Bradley would be associated with such a z-list movie.

It was like something a secondary school student would make.

Yeah, was pretty poor fare, I definitely got caught out by the cast.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Saints & Sinners (1949) filmed on location in Carlingford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Broken Harvest. One of the few examples of an Irish film that wasnt an international co production.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom.

Great short film about a Chinese fella learning Irish and nobody having a clue what he’s on about.

American Women. Awful attempt at an Irish Full Monty type comedy starring Pat Shortt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Omackeral wrote: »
    Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom.

Great short film about a Chinese fella learning Irish and nobody having a clue what he’s on about.

They used to show Irish “short films” before an Irish movie in the cinema, not sure if that’s still a “thing”.

Remember seeing that one, one about Joyce and Beckett waiting for someone at a pitch and putt course and one about a “scary” one about a young girl who’s left at home, either alone or babysitting, for the first time.

They were all very enjoyable. Oh, another involved people finding advanced stuff in an archeological “dig”. Had a nice twist at the end.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Has anyone mentioned Trojan Eddie?

Angel was an early Neil Jordan that seems to get scant love.
    Both with Stephen Rea as the central character.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Some Mothers Son

Mickeybo & Me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

Omackeral wrote: »
    Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom.

He is actually a member on here! He is on the process of launching an Irish watch brand! Monster thread below from watch forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058022351

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I hope that's not been forgotten... parts of it are wonderful fantasy, with hints of the Lord of the Rings adaptation Boorman wanted to make.
    Second half get a bit too out there perhaps.

second half is certainly grim. Morganas son would give King Joffrey a run for his money!

• Advertisement

Trojan Eddie. Brendan Gleeson as a traveller who offs Charlo from Family with a slash hook.
    washiskin wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Trojan Eddie?

Angel was an early Neil Jordan that seems to get scant love.
    Both with Stephen Rea as the central character.

Yes.

Angel is one of his best films, haven't seen it in years.

They used to show Irish “short films” before an Irish movie in the cinema, not sure if that’s still a “thing”.

Remember seeing that one, one about Joyce and Beckett waiting for someone at a pitch and putt course and one about a “scary” one about a young girl who’s left at home, either alone or babysitting, for the first time.

They were all very enjoyable. Oh, another involved people finding advanced stuff in an archeological “dig”. Had a nice twist at the end.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. I dont think that's a thing anymore, not since early 00s at least.

Another thing I remember about seeing Irish movies in the cinema is that the trailer reels would often have at least one upcoming Irish film which more often than not just went straight to video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Cry Of The Innocent.

Much hyped (then) 1980 film starring Rod Taylor and Cyril Cusack, with Bishop Brennan himself Jim Norton as the evil baddy who just lacked a moustache to twirl.

The opening scene involved Rod Taylor stepping out of his beach house down the wesht somewhere saying goodbye to his wife and kids as he's out for a walk.

Suddenly a plane spewing smoke flies low overhead and crashes just over the horizon in an impressive mushroom of special effects smoke.

Well what are the chances...he runs back to find that in the vast wildereness of the great west of Ireland hasn't the plane made a direct hit on the only house for miles around, i.e. his house with wife and babies a goner.

The rest of the film consists of him finding out how it happened, with Cyril Cusack as the Garda detective doing his best to upstage our Rod in the acting stakes.

Stella by Starlight, with Gabriel Byrne.

A single mother passes away, and her disabed son is raised by Byrne, as an Irish customs officer. Very forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

cml387 wrote: »
    Cry Of The Innocent.

Much hyped (then) 1980 film starring Rod Taylor and Cyril Cusack, with Bishop Brennan himself Jim Norton as the evil baddy who just lacked a moustache to twirl.

The opening scene involved Rod Taylor stepping out of his beach house down the wesht somewhere saying goodbye to his wife and kids as he's out for a walk.

Suddenly a plane spewing smoke flies low overhead and crashes just over the horizon in an impressive mushroom of special effects smoke.

Well what are the chances...he runs back to find that in the vast wildereness of the great west of Ireland hasn't the plane made a direct hit on the only house for miles around, i.e. his house with wife and babies a goner.

The rest of the film consists of him finding out how it happened, with Cyril Cusack as the Garda detective doing his best to upstage our Rod in the acting stakes.

Cry of the Innocent - pure muck despite being based on a Freddie Forsyth book.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Sea, starring Ciaran Hinds, from an adaptation of a Booker prize winning John Banville novel.

Didn't work for me on screen at all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Cry of the Innocent - pure muck despite being based on a Freddie Forsyth book.

Did not know it was Freddie Forsyth book. Mind you no guarantee of quality either.

I remember Rod Taylor on the LLS back then complaining (in a good natured way) about Cyril trying to steal his scenes.

Stella by Starlight, with Gabriel Byrne.

A single mother passes away, and her disabed son is raised by Byrne, as an Irish customs officer. Very forgotten.

I think you mean Frankie Starlight, I mentioned it a few pages back. Theres a good reason its forgotten cos it's pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Barry Lyndon was about an Irish rogue who climbed the social ladder in the 18th century. It is a film by Stanley Kubrick and one of my favourite films. About half of it is filmed in Ireland.

one of the most visually beautiful films ever made

pause any scene and its like a painting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Crush Proof

I came into post this. I seem to remember the main star actually seemed to have a bit about him as an actor..... it truly was an awful awful film mind......

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    I came into post this. I seem to remember the main star actually seemed to have a bit about him as an actor..... it truly was an awful awful film mind......

The cast who I think were largely amateur did their best but the script was awful. The lead actor went off the rails in real life I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Wasn't your man from the Daz ad in Crush Proof.....gets raped at gunpoint if I am not mistaken.

Wasn't your man from the Daz ad in Crush Proof.....gets raped at gunpoint if I am not mistaken.

Yes! You're right. The goofy looking fella with glasses. He gets "raped" albeit kind of willingly by a posh blond horsey wan with a shotgun who catches him in her stable. He was in Accelerator as well playing a near identical character to that he played in Crush Proof. He later turned up in those ads (were they for Surf?) where he fancies Biddy from Glenroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's some sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

E mac wrote: »
    Zardoz (1974)

Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_Zardoz.jpg[/QUOTE

Excalibur count? Also by John Boorman

No, and neither does 'Zardoz'. Both were just shot on location in Wicklow. But they were financed with British/American money and released by American studios. If we're counting those as "Irish movies", then any film shot anywhere becomes a product of that country.

'The Emerald Fores' would therefore be a Brazilian movie and 'Aguirre, The Wrath of God' would be Peruvian.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tony EH wrote: »
    E mac wrote: »

No, and neither does 'Zardoz'. Both were just shot on location in Wicklow. But they were financed with British/American money and released by American studios. If we're counting those as "Irish movies", then any film shot anywhere becomes a product of that country.

'The Emerald Fores' would therefore be a Brazilian movie and 'Aguirre, The Wrath of God' would be Peruvian.

ya but all movie threads are made a little more fun with the addition of ZARDOZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I visited the field itself (the one in the film) a few weeks ago. There’s someone living in the widows cottage now - it was unoccupied when I last went up there about 20 years ago. Myself and a few friends did a ‘Field’ road trip back then, visited all the locations we could. We were big fans. Harris was our god!
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    It better not have been some dirty yank in that cottage

Imagine knocking on the door and this guy answers.

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There's Older than Ireland from 2015. A documentary where centenarians are interviewed.

There's Leap Year from 2010. An American woman (Amy Adams) comes over to Ireland to propose to her American boyfriend in Dublin on the 29th February. She ends up, due to a number of mishaps, in a country village, where she meets an Irishman who she slowly falls for (Matthew Goode). Almost all of it was filmed in Ireland and most of the cast were Irish

I enjoyed both I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Leap Year was dreadful.

Awful Irish stereotyping for Americans.

• Advertisement

Two films from the late 90s about Irish immigrants in New York. Gold In The Streets with a young Aidan Gillen.

2×4 directed by and starting Jimmy Smallhorne. That got the Blizzard Of Odd treatment from Colin Murphy. There was a gay sex scene in it and Murphy memorably described it as looking like "seeing Aslan shagging each other"

Advertisement