Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro-fitting Drayton Wiser Multi-Zone Smart Thermostats

• 13-10-2020 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what I'd need to fit the Drayton Wiser Multi-Zone Smart Thermostat system to my house. I have two heating zones, upstairs and downstairs, controlled by Landis and Gyr thermostats; with a separate thermostat for hot water. Four downstairs rads are fitted with thermostatic valves.
    Specifically, if I buy two of these, can I configure them as one system.

Thanks to Type 901, for the bargain alert.

To be clear, I just want someone to check my logic, before I purchase...
    So, I expect the radiator valves will be straight swapouts, so no problem.

The three thermostats (3 x heating + hot water) each control motorised valves, which trigger the boiler. The boiler also has a permanent live. The two wall thermostats also act as timers, without the smart controls. Four different temperatures, for different times of day, can be set.

I expect that the drayton wall thermostats will be a swapin for the existing units, albeit the wall plate will have to be changed. I'm assuming the controller has a separate output/relay to control the hot water.

I'm using two control units as the 3 channel one is much more expensive. The question then is whether this can be handled by the app.

Any feedback on the above would be great, before I pull the trigger. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you need the "2 zone + hot water" version. There's a base unit that replaces your existing controller (assuming it is also 3 zone) and the thermostats are wireless.

your existing thermostats - you can either disconnect them and wire together at the wiring loom, or just turn them up to the max so they're permanently "on" as the Wiser stats will take over the turning on and off of those circuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

loyatemu wrote: »
    you need the "2 zone + hot water" version. There's a base unit that replaces your existing controller (assuming it is also 3 zone) and the thermostats are wireless.

your existing thermostats - you can either disconnect them and wire together at the wiring loom, or just turn them up to the max so they're permanently "on" as the Wiser stats will take over the turning on and off of those circuits.

I missed the boat on that deal, I'll have to wait.

I know that the "2 zone plus hot water" is the preferred option. However, it was working out twice as expensive - hence my query.

I was just going to swap in the wall thermostats, to give coarse control of each zone. The wall thermostat would control the associated zone valve. The individual TRV's would then fine tune each room. They would not control the zone valve.

However, I think your suggestion might be better. If I understand you correctly, the controller would operate the zone valve if any TRV in that zone called for heat.
    My only concern is what happens if the TRV fails. The boiler would be fired up but the rad valve would be closed. I know there is a boiler bypass circuit, but I've had an instance where this was insufficient. I currently keep one rad permanently on, in each zone, to guard against this.

Thanks for getting back to me, appreciate it.

Advertisement