Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel if restrictions were lifted?

Options
  • 13-10-2020 11:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

How would you honestly feel if the government turned around tommorrow and said the pubs can reopen to full capacity, all businneses can reopen that were closed, no more restrictions on gatherings, no more mandatory masks, people working from home should go back to work, full capacity on public transport, matches can go ahead with 80k fans, no more social distancing meaning life can return to exactly how it was before last March.

And this assumes that there is not a vaccine or effective treatment the virus would essientially be let loose. How would you feel and be 100% honest. Personally I would be delighted but know our spineless coward politicians would never have the balls to pull such a move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

GT89 wrote: »
    How would you honestly feel if the government turned around tommorrow and said the pubs can reopen to full capacity, all businneses can reopen that were closed, no more restrictions on gatherings, no more mandatory masks, people working from home should go back to work, full capacity on public transport, matches can go ahead with 80k fans, no more social distancing meaning life can return to exactly how it was before last March.

And this assumes that there is not a vaccine or effective treatment the virus would essientially be let loose. How would you feel and be 100% honest. Personally I would be delighted but know our spinless coward politicians would never have the balls to pull such a move.
    I'd be packing up the family and as many supplies as I could and heading off to the nearest uninhabited island for a few months, 6 or 7 maybe.

Thankfully it's not likely or possible that any politician would do that.......even the more alternative ones.
    I'd also try get you on a watch list of some description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Personally I would be delighted but know our spinless coward politicians would never have the balls to pull such a move.

What if a close family member was struck down with Covid19 as a result, and became seriously ill and died? Would you still be delighted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

kippy wrote: »
    I'd be packing up the family and as many supplies as I could and heading off to the nearest uninhabited island for a few months, 6 or 7 maybe.

Thankfully it's not likely or possible that any politician would do that.......even the more alternative ones.

Why you want me on a watch list? You'd be safe on your island surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you ever have one of those dreams where you die and wake up in a panic. Just like that.

I wouldn't be doing cartwheels down the street over it. As someone strongly against the indiscriminate closure of pubs, I think some measure of order is needed so the pandemic doesn't spiral out of control. No quarrel with social distancing and masks, a small effort to be conscientious of others isn't going to break me. Re-introducing full stadiums would be a recipe for disaster, herd immunity doesn't work unless you're willing to sacrifice thousands of lives.

• Advertisement

Why you want me on a watch list? You'd be safe on your island surely.

I would but I don't know if everyone else would.

Genuinely start fearing for my family. Pray that nobody I know requires something routine from a hospital.

.anon. wrote: »
    What if a close family member was struck down with Covid19 as a result, and became seriously ill and died? Would you still be delighted?

You do realise that chances of dying of covid 19 in Ireland are 0.000391%

• Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Where did you pull that stat from?

That's the odds right now amongst the entire population. Those that have had it and those that have never had it. It's also in an environment where we have had significant restrictions. You reckon that stat would be the same should the entire population be exposed to the virus in a relatively short timeframe and should the entire population get it?

There are a few basic points above that you very obviously don't understand. Not much point in engaging with your arguments based on evidence presented so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just goes to show, we are in lockdown anyway and getting used to it, so anything outside of lockdown is not normal now anymore..

Where did you pull that stat from?

Assume he is basing the deaths so far, up around 1800 against the entire population, 5 million plus.

Just goes to show, we are in lockdown anyway and getting used to it, so anything outside of lockdown is not normal now anymore..

We are not in 'lockdown' and are a long way from it.
    If people followed the existing regulations we wouldn't have to introduce more.....

Do you not think the chances of dying from it would increase if all restrictions were lifted? And would you still be delighted if someone you love died? A parent, a grandparent or a sibling?

We are not in 'lockdown' and are a long way from it.
    If people followed the existing regulations we wouldn't have to introduce more.....

Or maybe everyone could disregard the guidelines and then the guidelines would cease to exist. The problem is not people disobeying the guidelines the problem is people obeying them. The quicker people stopped following the guidelines the sooner we go back to normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

I would be very happy, would still encourage parents/family to be careful and take precautions.

Would love a day out in Croker or Aviva and night out in the pubs then Coppers till 4am. Those were the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I would take the usual precautions but I would work away and go for an odd pint. I wouldn't go to any games, public events or concerts though.

Or maybe everyone could disregard the guidelines and then the guidelines would cease to exist. The problem is not people disobeying the guidelines the problem is people obeying them. The quicker people stopped following the guidelines the sooner we go back to normal.

They wouldn't be the only thing that ceased to exist.

The fact that you've ignored two or three posts isn't surprising at this stage.

Logic and reasoning has ceased to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hard to know you're in denial about the severity of this virus or if you just lack empathy. Either way, I find your attitude frightening.

How many lives (other people's lives, obviously) would you be prepared to sacrifice in order to go 'back to normal'?

• Advertisement

Delusional

Do you not think the chances of dying from it would increase if all restrictions were lifted? And would you still be delighted if someone you love died? A parent, a grandparent or a sibling?

Maybe but not by much. No restrictions in Belarus but yet dead bodies are not lining the streets of Minsk so why would it be any different here. Are Irish people more susceptible to covid than Belarussians?

Angry, devestated, and terrified. But mostly murderous.

You can tell the people on these threads who have not been directly impacted by the death of a loved one from Covid.

Not yet, anyway

Is it possible to block threads, or just posters? Utterly sick of reading this kind of crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Massive diarrhoea there op.

Maybe but not by much. No restrictions in Belarus but yet dead bodies are not lining the streets of Minsk so why would it be any different here. Are Irish people more susceptible to covid than Belarussians?

If all restrictions were lifted, would you be ok with your parents being among the dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Overall I’d take my own precautions and be careful but would be delighted to do some normal things again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

it is eejits like this who need to be isolated. Spike Island sounds good; or one of the smaller Blaskets ( they need the tourism om Great Blasket)

I live on a small, sparsely populated island with a huge food supply in stock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The quicker people stopped following the guidelines the sooner we go back to normal.

Full hospitals and hundreds/thousands of additional deaths is not my idea of normal.

If all restrictions were lifted, would you be ok with your parents being among the dead?

There's a 0.00039% of that happening so I think I'd take my chances. My parents are healthy and not vulnerable so probably even less than that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd take my chances.

Unfortunately the virus doesn't only impact the reckless.

Advertisement