Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel if restrictions were lifted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've been half following this thread for the last couple of days, and the one thing I haven't noticed mentioned (although I may have missed it) is the longer lasting medical effects on people who have survived Covid. Mortality statistics have been thrown out by lots of people, but Covid does far more than just kill people, it has the potential to radically change their lives permanently even if they survive. There are the relatively minor things like "Covid toe" or people losing their hair. But there are also things like kidney failure and people ending up with diabetes. These are all things that will consume healthcare resources for many years to come, long after Covid has been dealt with, so surely it's in all our interests to minimise the infection rates?

I have two underlying medical conditions that each on their own would put me in the high risk group, so taking them collectively I'm potentially fcuked if I catch Covid. I've been working from home since March, I've seen my elderly parents in the flesh twice (very socially distanced) in that time, and my closest friends not at all. I've made, like many other people have made, a lot of sacrifices in that time and will continue to do so for as long as is necessary to protect both myself, those I care for and the wider population that I may come into contact with, however briefly.

So when I see some of the bullsh*t being trotted out on this thread from people giving out about lockdowns or having to wear masks I want to give them a kick up the hole and tell them to cop on. Their answer to everything seems to be let's just do whatever the hell we like and if people die, well they were going to at some stage anyway. What sort of idiocy is that? Of course they were going to die, but they could have had another 50 years or more on the planet had Covid not intervened. Do these honestly believe that the rest of us enjoy social distancing, restricting our movements or wearing masks every time we leave the house? Of course we don't, but we do it because if there's any chance that this virus can be brought under control it's through measures like this.

The other argument I see regularly is that people with medical conditions or the elderly shouldn't be leaving their homes at all so everybody else can get on with their lives. Well these groups have lives to be getting on with too, and they'll be able to do so much better when things return to normal, whenever that may be. But idiots having parties, or worse, gathering in large groups to protest about face masks or whatever they want to bitch about next, will just keep pushing that time out further and further. Tell me, why should your freedoms be more valuable than mine or others in similar situations? You people are all grown adults, it's about fcuking time you started behaving like adults and take some personal responsibility. Instead of giving out about the pubs being closed or whatever else you can't do, start thinking about what you can actually do to make this situation go away a lot sooner, because you're not the only people who are dying for a decent pint you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

kippy wrote: »
    We had two or three months of very little rising of numbers.
    I don't think anyone is trying to make it 'go away' in Ireland. The aim is to keep numbers manageable while maintaining as much of the economy as possible.
    close schools - and may find return to those previous numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

jelem wrote: »
    close schools - and may find return to those previous numbers

The primary schools are not the issue. Not are the majority of secondary schools. The issue are the adults. Adults who cannot turn down the chance to have an after match heap of pints with their team mates. Adults who cannot resist the temptation not to have a communion party, adults who cannot forgo some other gathering of many people in a non socially distanced manner. Maybe the schools need closing for two weeks if only to try break the chain in community transmissions but if you look at what has happened it is very difficult to place any blame on kids for the irresponsible behaviour of a lot of adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Zaph wrote: »
    I've been half following this thread for the last couple of days, and the one thing I haven't noticed mentioned (although I may have missed it) is the longer lasting medical effects on people who have survived Covid. Mortality statistics have been thrown out by lots of people, but Covid does far more than just kill people, it has the potential to radically change their lives permanently even if they survive. There are the relatively minor things like "Covid toe" or people losing their hair. But there are also things like kidney failure and people ending up with diabetes. These are all things that will consume healthcare resources for many years to come, long after Covid has been dealt with, so surely it's in all our interests to minimise the infection rates?

I have two underlying medical conditions that each on their own would put me in the high risk group, so taking them collectively I'm potentially fcuked if I catch Covid. I've been working from home since March, I've seen my elderly parents in the flesh twice (very socially distanced) in that time, and my closest friends not at all. I've made, like many other people have made, a lot of sacrifices in that time and will continue to do so for as long as is necessary to protect both myself, those I care for and the wider population that I may come into contact with, however briefly.

So when I see some of the bullsh*t being trotted out on this thread from people giving out about lockdowns or having to wear masks I want to give them a kick up the hole and tell them to cop on. Their answer to everything seems to be let's just do whatever the hell we like and if people die, well they were going to at some stage anyway. What sort of idiocy is that? Of course they were going to die, but they could have had another 50 years or more on the planet had Covid not intervened. Do these honestly believe that the rest of us enjoy social distancing, restricting our movements or wearing masks every time we leave the house? Of course we don't, but we do it because if there's any chance that this virus can be brought under control it's through measures like this.

The other argument I see regularly is that people with medical conditions or the elderly shouldn't be leaving their homes at all so everybody else can get on with their lives. Well these groups have lives to be getting on with too, and they'll be able to do so much better when things return to normal, whenever that may be. But idiots having parties, or worse, gathering in large groups to protest about face masks or whatever they want to bitch about next, will just keep pushing that time out further and further. Tell me, why should your freedoms be more valuable than mine or others in similar situations? You people are all grown adults, it's about fcuking time you started behaving like adults and take some personal responsibility. Instead of giving out about the pubs being closed or whatever else you can't do, start thinking about what you can actually do to make this situation go away a lot sooner, because you're not the only people who are dying for a decent pint you know.
    whilst i thumbs up this -
    i am aged and have what can be seen as makes me easy target for
    serious outcome if i get virus.
    i act as mask and distance with restrict family etc. contact, yet i
    feel if i want to sit in a pub or cinema etc. then that is my RISK and
    handled my way.
    my other half has been tested twice both neg.- this due
    "work type" and their alarm when a cough\sore throat\chill or what can be seen
    as usual illness symptoms appear and alarm sets in.
    if all reacted as should then the reduced figures will appear without serious lockdowns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

jelem wrote: »
    if all reacted as should then the reduced figures will appear without serious lockdowns.

That's the key.

If everybody did their bit, unpleasant as it may be for a while, drastic restrictions would be less necessary and the number of cases would fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Would you consider yourself at risk of other seasonal illnesses?

Or is this issue about to become those at risk vs those not from a very specific respiratory illness?

Where is the end game?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Graham wrote: »
    Ireland went into lockdown, cases decreased. Lockdown ended, cases increased.

I'm definitely seeing a correlation. You're not?

I’m not, because your ignoring the outlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

gozunda wrote: »
    And Sweden has the 12th highest death rate globally and a death rate significantly above that of neighbouring Nordic countries.

Its certainly no poster child for how to handle a pandemic

Looks like they're now having to bring in stricter controls

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2020/10/14/sweden-students-told-to-stop-partying-as-coronavirus-cases-rise/

https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/
    Sure they may bring stricter controls or recommendations but their mortality rate has been flat at negligible levels for the past two and a half months and the rise they are seeing now is nowhere near as steep as most of the EU so they will probably get through the winter without much in the way of lockdowns.

One thing Sweden has proved very good at is adhering to most basic precautions without too much fuss and without the type of mandated restrictions we're facing now.

I think that says a lot about the Swedes and their ability to take personal responsibility, play their individual parts. Of course it helps that they also have a lower density population but that's not to diminish what they've achieved.

Unfortunately the same can't be said about a large cohort of our own population. I suspect that's a large part of the reason we find ourselves where we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

One thing Sweden has proved very good at is adhering to most basic precautions without too much fuss and without the type of mandated restrictions we're facing now.

I think that says a lot about the Swedes and their ability to take personal responsibility, play their individual parts. Of course it helps that they also have a lower density population but that's not to diminish what they've achieved.

Unfortunately the same can't be said about a large cohort of our own population. I suspect that's a large part of the reason we find ourselves where we are now.
    It doesn't explain it though. If the Swedes were so good at personal responsibility, why were their hospitalizations much higher than Ireland's during the peak in the first half of the year? Also, why are hospitalizations very low now despite much the same advice and restrictions in place as earlier in the year?

The reason is that they allowed a controlled spread. In Ireland a controlled spread might not be done the same way as in Sweden; there might be more in the way of legal restrictions, but the policy would not be to get infections down to zero but to allow the wave to proceed while protecting hospital services.

Ireland actually did very well in getting numbers down after the initial peak (among the lowest in the EU) but we did not build up any immunity among the healthy population and we are paying for it now with the need for repeated measures.
    Yes but look at the restrictions they are imposing from that article:
    So far, Sweden’s students appear to be taking the warning seriously. The organiser of an annual 400-person party in Stockholm told SVT it was a “boring but rational decision to take” following its cancellation.
    In Ireland we've never had anything remotely like allowing a 400 person party since the first cases here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

People are still buying food and drink from supermarkets and off licences. Fuel is being purchased and people are still using public transport and taxis albeit with social distancing in mind.. The economy is still working. Many people are working - whether from home or otherwise

You just pissed because there's no 'house parties"?

Jeez ...

lol... you beat me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ireland went into lockdown, cases decreased. Lockdown ended, cases increased.

I'm definitely seeing a correlation. You're not?

In the summer months cases decreased. Now it’s coming into winter cases are increasing. That’s a correlation too.

If house parties are banned, it’s only fair that pity parties are banned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amen to this,
    I have a head start on all this as two years ago when I tried to find out what effect old age has on my life-long illness I was told no one knew as almost no one with this illness reached old age and most died from "overwhelming infections."

I have no living family and the illness greatly limits life so I was already content to stay home most of the time, but from then I made the decision to isolate meaningfully and fully.

without the internet would be a real problem but I have this and contacts and friends in several countries,

We are made adaptable. covid-19 has broken my heart by taking a young and healthy loved one, like many others. But I am content to stay home and not become another (contested!) statistic

Oh and I get much more active support from community groups now. They are doing a wonderful work helping old folk to stay safe.

Love you and leave you now! Things to do! Stay safe; Stay well! stay strong.. and STAY HOME!

In the summer months cases decreased. Now it’s coming into winter cases are increasing. That’s a correlation too.

It is. But it also shows we need to be more vigilant in winter surely?
    But it's one you make without analysing the evidence.
    House parties have been rife since college came back, events after GAA matches, communions and general gatherings against regulations have been way up.
    These are major issues that end up causing increased numbers everywhere.
    People have generally been more complacent.
    You and others seem obsessed to look towards uncontrollable factor when analysing things. But the vectors here are controllable.

What's a pity party?
    There have been restrictions around the number of people allowed in a house since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

GT89 wrote: »
    There's a 0.00039% of that happening so I think I'd take my chances. My parents are healthy and not vulnerable so probably even less than that.

Your sums are wrong . Go back and check it out. You forgot to multiply by 100 so it 0.039.%.

Edit just saw someone else corrected you 2 days ago . I was worried that boardsie’s were looking like the poorest maths people around .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

4 in 10 adults over the age of 18 in the US are considered high risk due to underlying health conditions and/or age.

Probably a similar amount here.

Crazy to think that some people consider all these people to be expendable.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    4 in 10 adults over the age of 18 in the US are considered high risk due to underlying health conditions and/or age.

You really can't compare the US to us over here the US has a poor health care system especially for poorer people, this allows people to develop the pre existing conditions that put them at risk. Plus the majority of them are overweight or obese which is definitely a major risk factor for the virus.

What's a pity party?
    There have been restrictions around the number of people allowed in a house since March.

See Zaph above, oh and now Graces has joined him. Quelle Surprise!!

• Advertisement

What's a pity party?

It appears to be a phrase used in a particularly crass attempt at silencing anyone from an at risk group by discouraging them from posting.

I’d probably be considered high risk here, obese by the BMI scale although you wouldn’t know if to look at me, hypertension, high blood pressure, pre-diabetic. But fcuked if I’m gonna lock myself away. If I did end up catching it I doubt my last thoughts would be, glad I had no craic for the last 6 months of my life.

See Zaph above, oh and now Graces has joined him. Quelle Surprise!!

So what is it?

I’d probably be considered high risk here, obese by the BMI scale although you wouldn’t know if to look at me, hypertension, high blood pressure, pre-diabetic. But fcuked if I’m gonna lock myself away. If I did end up catching it I doubt my last thoughts would be, glad I had no craic for the last 6 months of my life.

Ironicily enough, there more people there with that attitude the more likely all the "craic" things will be restricted more.
    But sure lookit - there's not much point debating with that attidude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

At least you can be reassured by the fact that if you happened to catch it and die as a result, there would be a cohort of people claiming that you were expendable and close to death anyway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Would you consider yourself at risk of other seasonal illnesses?

Or is this issue about to become those at risk vs those not from a very specific respiratory illness?

Where is the end game?

There's no specific evidence that one of my conditions puts me at greater risk from normal seasonal illnesses, but there have been greatly increased mortality rates among Covid patients who also have it. For the other, I get the flu jab every year, which is as much as I can do really. I've only ever had the flu once in my life, and while there was no suggestion that it was ever going to kill me, I'd really not want to every catch it again as it was a thoroughly miserable experience.

I suppose the end game is that we have a viable Covid vaccine. I appreciate that a vaccine isn't 100% foolproof and that people could still be very ill or die from Covid even after receiving the vaccine, but strong risk mitigation is as much as we can hope for to allow people to get back to living their normal lives.

Self-pity isn't something I'm prone to, so you can feck off with that nonsense for starters. I'm not the one who is continually moaning about having to wear a mask, not being able to go to the pub, it whatever. I don't enjoy those things any more than the next person, but I'm prepared to suck it up and get on with it until such time as it's deemed safe to resume normal life again. All m asking is that everybody else does the same to help speed up that process.

At least you can be reassured by the fact that if you happened to catch it and die as a result, there would be a cohort of people claiming that you were expendable and close to death anyway.

We all have to go someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

If everybody did their bit, unpleasant as it may be for a while, drastic restrictions would be less necessary and the number of cases would fall.
    That's a massive IF though.
    "For a while" is similarly vague and impractical. It could -and does, as we have seen- mean anything from weeks to years.

A realistic way of dealing with it:
    Those who are worried about their health/vulnerability, get a hazmat suit. Let others use their judgement as well -with the same freedom you use yours- to decide what's best for their own life and family's.

Current way of dealing with it:
    Control/restrict everyone universally, regardless of truth/evidence/agreement - is not only wrong, but not enforceable (without harming or killing people in the process).
    But it also shows we need to be more vigilant in winter surely?
    Might be worth noting that Australia/NZ are in the opposite season. I'm not following what's happening there but for those who are, let's see if their summer -which is a lot warmer than ours- has much of an effect.

eleventh wrote: »
    A realistic way of dealing with it:
    Those who are worried about their health/vulnerability, get a hazmat suit. Let others use their judgement.

Would you call that an anti-community or anti-society approach?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Would you call that an anti-community or anti-society approach?

Do you not think wearing masks is anti community or anti society?

Advertisement