Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel if restrictions were lifted?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

meanwhile while people loss jobs and are told to prepare for another fallout, our leaders :

A senior government source said they were not surprised by the recommendation given the high number of new cases but insisted the Cabinet will decide on what action to take. There is no scheduled Cabinet meeting today and Taoiseach Micheál Martin is in Brussels at an EU Summit.

pathetic in this day and age, my bet those leaders wouldnt know how to setup live chat, yet sure have a plane carry em to meetup, while rest can skype or zoom. what a joke.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    The most common opinion I see here is to "protect the vulnerable".

I see a lot of lip service paid to "protect the vulnerable", across all threads.

usually something along the lines of "let them lock themselves down while the rest of us get on with lives!"

So what they really mean is "Protect the vulnerable, as long as it has no impact on me and I can do what I like".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

I see a lot of lip service paid to "protect the vulnerable", across all threads.

usually something along the lines of "let them lock themselves down while the rest of us get on with lives!"

So what they really mean is "Protect the vulnerable, as long as it has no impact on me and I can do what I like".

Yeah i have even better idea - let them do what they like

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm not suffering mentally. I had the privilege to work the last ten weeks of pregnancy at home. No stressful commute, traffic, parking etc. Flexible hours. OH also working from home means he can be here much more. We wont have to be dumping our child into a creche at 7 in the morning five days a week to be minded by strangers. I've saved tonnes in petrol, pet sitter, lunches, parking etc. Weekly online shop for food. Nice walks in the park/ forest etc. A peaceful life really. Yup would love a sun holiday, a night out with friends and a good old shopping day in town, but I consider I'm made of stronger stuff than letting such things define my happiness.

No, definitely not suffering mentally :)

I get the feeling those wheeling out the mental health shtick are mostly the "open the pubs" brigade who are addicted to alcohol, gambling or what have you.

They wouldn't know a therapeutic simple pleasure like a walk in the park if it bit them on the arse.

Very sad indictment of our society for people to be so weakminded that they can't tolerate their own selves without feeling some urge to consume.
    Contrast that with Eastern societies who are thriving now because nobody was ****ing on about their mental health opening pubs.

Its pathetic really.

And i'm not talking about the genuine case for mental health like isolated older people living rurally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

I get the feeling those wheeling out the mental health shtick are mostly the "open the pubs" brigade who are addicted to alcohol, gambling or what have you.

They wouldn't know a therapeutic simple pleasure like a walk in the park if it bit them on the arse.

Very sad indictment of our society for people to be so weakminded that they can't tolerate their own selves without feeling some urge to consume.
    Contrast that with Eastern societies who are thriving now because nobody was ****ing on about their mental health opening pubs.

Its pathetic really.

And i'm not talking about the genuine case for mental health like isolated older people living rurally.

‘Normal’ means different things to different people, it’s another sad indictment that there are some who cannot understand that.

Personally, it’s been years since I sat in a pub, even longer since I’ve been to a betting shop but the fact that I can’t bothers me a little, for those for whom that was their ‘social’ life, it’s gone, pathetic or not, btw these are often the ‘types’ who are least equipped to deal with change - right or wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Its pathetic really.

Yeah we should be more like Eastern countries like China who eat bats and shyte and cause coronaviruses!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Yeah we should be more like Eastern countries like China who eat bats and shyte and cause coronaviruses!!

The good oul Kung flu

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

bladespin wrote: »
    ‘Normal’ means different things to different people, it’s another sad indictment that there are some who cannot understand that.

Personally, it’s been years since I sat in a pub, even longer since I’ve been to a betting shop but the fact that I can’t bothers me a little, for those for whom that was their ‘social’ life, it’s gone, pathetic or not, btw these are often the ‘types’ who are least equipped to deal with change - right or wrong.

Their social life doesn't take priority over the health of others though. If it did there's plenty of things you could justify that are unethical. Like it your social life revolves around fishing and the fish stocks are low in the river your social life shouldn't overrule the long term viability of the river itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I see a lot of stupid posts like this and it makes me wonder what some think old people are doing atm?

My parents are in their 70s and their lives are crap. Their social life is gone. They can't travel. They get limited visits from and limited interaction with their grandchildren. My dad can't go watch a football match any more.

How will removing restrictions make any difference to their lives?

They are currently bored shitless.

Removing restrictions will give them the opportunity to decide for themselves what they want to partake in, and it'll give them a huge lift knowing a level of normality is returning for their children, grandchildren and society.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Zebra3 wrote: »

The rate of infection will increase and they'll be put a greater risk.

Not just them, every vulnerable person.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    The rate of infection will increase and they'll be put a greater risk.

Not just them, every vulnerable person.

It won't.

Apart from them going to the supermarket twice a week for a very brief period of time when it's not busy they have no other time spent indoors with other people.

The rest of the time they sit at home, go for a walk and have brief outdoor visits from close family members which of course they don't have any more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It won't.

You should tell the HSE you've discovered how to remove restrictions without increasing infections.

Would be handy info.

Graham wrote: »
    You should tell the HSE you've discovered how to remove restrictions without increasing infections.

Would be handy info.

Who said I discovered such a thing?

I simply said that my parents protect themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Who said I discovered such a thing?

I simply said that my parents protect themselves.

If the majority of the population behaved themselves a bit (a lot) better, and paid more attention to the restrictions that are requested of them, the spread of the virus would decrease and your parents and all the other vulnerable people out there might be safe to get out and about a bit more without risk of infection.

Do you think that if we all go back to 2019 normal, with our fingers crossed behind our backs, that the virus will just disappear?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If the majority of the population behaved themselves a bit (a lot) better, and paid more attention to the restrictions that are requested of them, the spread of the virus would decrease and your parents and all the other vulnerable people out there might be safe to get out and about a bit more without risk of infection.

Do you think that if we all go back to 2019 normal, with our fingers crossed behind our backs, that the virus will just disappear?

Why are you asking such a stupid question that has nothing to do with what I posted?

I see a lot of stupid posts like this and it makes me wonder what some think old people are doing atm?

My parents are in their 70s and their lives are crap. Their social life is gone. They can't travel. They get limited visits from and limited interaction with their grandchildren. My dad can't go watch a football match any more.

They are currently bored shitless.

Removing restrictions will give them the opportunity to decide for themselves what they want to partake in, and it'll give them a huge lift knowing a level of normality is returning for their children, grandchildren and society.

Oh, your parents life are crap right now? Mine lost her life. I think your parents are getting the better deal. At least there is some hope of a "return to normality" for them at some stage, even if its six months from now.

The message is reduce contacts to protect EVERYONE.

Not just the elderly. There are other vulnerable people in society to consider too, who may not be 70 yet, but who have underlying health issues - many of them essential workers, like teachers, retail staff and health care workers.

Apart from them going to the supermarket twice a week for a very brief period of time when it's not busy they have no other time spent indoors with other people.

You should have a read of the last few pages of the social distancing megathred, in relation to supermarkets.

Advertisement