Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel if restrictions were lifted?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

.anon. wrote: »
    If all restrictions were lifted, would you be ok with your parents being among the dead?

Would you be okay if a loved one of yours died of suicide as a result of mental health problems caused by lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

GT89 wrote: »
    There's a 0.00039% of that happening so I think I'd take my chances. My parents are healthy and not vulnerable so probably even less than that.

Clearly you havent been brushing up on your maths and stats skills during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Would you be okay if a loved one of yours died of suicide as a result of mental health problems caused by lockdown?

Chances of that happening are only 0.0000143%*

*figure made up, just like all other stats in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Overall I’d take my own precautions and be careful but would be delighted to do some normal things again.

And if a close family member contracted Covid19 as a result of other people not taking precautions, and became seriously ill and died, do you think their death would have been worth it? On the one hand, your mum or dad is dead, but at least you got to do some normal things again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You're fond of statistics. Any you'd like to share on that probability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe but not by much. No restrictions in Belarus but yet dead bodies are not lining the streets of Minsk so why would it be any different here. Are Irish people more susceptible to covid than Belarussians?

Really? Have you been to Minsk lately? Also it is not only about deaths. Do you have any idea of the folk who are long term ill after covid? permanently disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

And if a close family member contracted Covid19 as a result of other people not taking precautions, and became seriously ill and died, do you think their death would have been worth it? On the one hand, your mum or dad is dead, but at least you got to do some normal things again.

I said I’d take my precautions such as not visiting elderly family members maybe in a week or 10 days after doing something ‘risky’. I always keep my distance, wear masks etc.

Thanks for the concern about my parents but they are able to look after themselves and decide what risks they take themselves (not very many). They are taking their own precautions and we are only visiting them while outdoors, they aren't getting to meet their grandkids etc.

Don’t presume to know other peoples business, levels of intelligence or safety, it’s not a good trait.

Or maybe everyone could disregard the guidelines and then the guidelines would cease to exist. The problem is not people disobeying the guidelines the problem is people obeying them. The quicker people stopped following the guidelines the sooner we go back to normal.

You are like the child in "Alice" who sneezes to annoy folk. " He only does it to annoy because he knows it teases."

But then you are only twelve years old clearly, if that . Off to bed now!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Really? Have you been to Minsk lately? Also it is not only about deaths. Do you have any idea of the folk who are long term ill after covid? permanently disabled.

So they're all vegetables in Minsk right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

There's a 0.00039% of that happening so I think I'd take my chances. My parents are healthy and not vulnerable so probably even less than that.

And what if they had an accident, or a sudden stroke, heart attack, basically any of the many reasons for them needing urgent life saving care? But the hospitals are at full capacity, which is what would happen in the not too distant future in your scenario.

Forget about fatality due to covid, what about all the other health reasons which needs urgent hospital treatment?

Are you suggesting we let those who get covid and need help to survive, just die without any help, or the rest of the population who need there lives saved for any other reason?

You seem to be absolutely deluded to the situation in this country at the moment, and things are not even that bad yet! Or your just **** ing trolling!

• Advertisement

Proof that care in the community isn't going to well for some.

No, which is why I think people should take care of each other during this time, especially those who are particularly vulnerable.

You're dodging my question, so I'll ask it again. If restrictions were lifted, would you be ok with one of your parents dying from Covid19? Would it be an acceptable sacrifice to make, so that some selfish idiots could go off and 'do normal things' again - like cram themselves into Croke Park alongside 80,000 other selfish idiots.

ro_chez wrote: »
    And what if they had an accident, or a sudden stroke, heart attack, basically any of the many reasons for them needing urgent life saving care? But the hospitals are at full capacity, which is what would happen in the not too distant future in your scenario.

Forget about fatality due to covid, what about all the other health reasons which needs urgent hospital treatment?

Are you suggesting we let those who get covid and need help to survive, just die without any help, or the rest of the population who need there lives saved for any other reason?

You seem to be absolutely deluded to the situation in this country at the moment, and things are not even that bad yet! Or your just **** ing trolling!

Is that happening in Belarus?

No, which is why I think people should take care of each other during this time, especially those who are particularly vulnerable.

You're dodging my question, so I'll ask it again. If restrictions were lifted, would you be ok with one of your parents dying from Covid19? Would it be an acceptable sacrifice to make, so that some selfish idiots could go off and 'do normal things' again - like cram themselves into Croke Park alongside 80,000 other selfish idiots.

No obivously I wouldn't be happy. But I genuinely do not believe that is a something that is likely to happen if such a move was taken as my parents are not in the vulnerable category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Angry, devestated, and terrified. But mostly murderous.

You can tell the people on these threads who have not been directly impacted by the death of a loved one from Covid.

Not yet, anyway

Is it possible to block threads, or just posters? Utterly sick of reading this kind of crap.

Same. There really is an underlying sentiment of fúck the elderly. You only need to scratch the surface to reveal it.

To answer OP, I'd be getting as far away from the country as possible. I'd also be really píssed that because of covid restrictions, as a scared first time mother I had to attend all my antenatal appointments alone and only had my partner in for active labour, and my parents met their granddaughter through the window when she was six weeks old - and basically all of those sacrifices would mean fúck all in your free for all. Some of us have made bigger sacrifices than not going on the lash.

No obivously I wouldn't be happy. But I genuinely do not believe that is a something that is likely to happen if such a move was taken as my parents are not in the vulnerable category.

But other people's parents... people who are in the vulnerable category... you'd be fine with them dying, right? So long as it's not anyone close to you.

Is that happening in Belarus?

We have twice as many deaths as Belarus, with the restrictions so far.

Which would prove my point, we are unable to deal with no restrictions and the deaths that would follow.

It's sh1t, but it is what it is.

But other people's parents... people who are in the vulnerable category... you'd be fine with them dying, right? So long as it's not anyone close to you.

It would be a very small minority of people. Now every death is awful but death is something that is going to happen to us all. So to answer your question yes because it would be a tiny amount of people most of whom are likely to die anyway as nearly everyone who dies with covid was probably going to die anyway as few people die of covid people die with covid not of covid.

The deaths and long term health implications caused by pronlonged lockdown/restrictions due to suicide, missed cancer screenings etc. Personally my own mental health is not in a good way nearly everyone I know has suffered mental health problems due to lockdown. I think anyone who says they aren't suffering mentally right now is lying or living in denial.

ro_chez wrote: »
    We have twice as many deaths as Belarus, with the restrictions so far.

Which would prove my point, we are unable to deal with no restrictions and the deaths that would follow.

It's sh1t, but it is what it is.

Maybe Belarus is only counting the people who die of covid not the people who die after testing positive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

. How would you feel and be 100% honest. Personally I would be delighted but know our spineless coward politicians would never have the balls to pull such a move.

I'd consider the government spineless and cowardly if they ever pulled such a move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

It would be a very small minority of people. Now every death is awful but death is something that is going to happen to us all. So to answer your question yes because it would be a tiny amount of people most of whom are likely to die anyway as nearly everyone who dies with covid was probably going to die anyway as few people die of covid people die with covid not of covid.

The deaths and long term health implications caused by pronlonged lockdown/restrictions due to suicide, missed cancer screenings etc. Personally my own mental health is not in a good way nearly everyone I know has suffered mental health problems due to lockdown. I think anyone who says they aren't suffering mentally right now is lying or living in denial.

I'm not suffering mentally. I had the privilege to work the last ten weeks of pregnancy at home. No stressful commute, traffic, parking etc. Flexible hours. OH also working from home means he can be here much more. We wont have to be dumping our child into a creche at 7 in the morning five days a week to be minded by strangers. I've saved tonnes in petrol, pet sitter, lunches, parking etc. Weekly online shop for food. Nice walks in the park/ forest etc. A peaceful life really. Yup would love a sun holiday, a night out with friends and a good old shopping day in town, but I consider I'm made of stronger stuff than letting such things define my happiness.

No, definitely not suffering mentally :)

Maybe Belarus is only counting the people who die of covid not the people who die after testing positive

Which would mean we are even more in the sh1tter...or maybe not.

Nevertheless, as someone who has humans close to me who require constant medical screenings, ultrasounds, CT's, surgery's which are delayed due to rising covid hospital and icu admissions, and who are nowhere near classed as in your ignorant view "elderly", I cannot accept the crap you post.

And this is all contributed to, by the minority of people in this country, who have the same ideas as you convey on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

This poster used to post frequently in the masks thread before they were thread banned. I'm not surprised to see him resurface with a new thread to vent.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114706135&postcount=599

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114706053&postcount=597

Tork wrote: »
    This poster used to post frequently in the masks thread before they were thread banned. I'm not surprised to see him resurface with a new thread to vent.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114706135&postcount=599

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114706053&postcount=597

And going by thier username, I would hazard an educated guess, they might drive a dublin bus.

The thought of someone whit this mindset serving the public day in, day out, including medical workers who are risking there lives going to work, to get those numbers down so we don't have have to go into further restrictions is frankly chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

Id be fine with it with some conditions. As an NCHD I'd want complete legal protection from any resulting legal action taken by families who felt their loved one died. And the right to silence anyone speaking out against.

If that didn't happen I'd just quit. The vaccine will be out in less than a year and I've many times the required savings to cover that and come back after that when this isn't as severe an issue.

OP you talk about this as if all that matters is your feelings and not the severe logistical and technical challenges that would occur should something like this happen. To be blunt your feelings are largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I've seen a few people like yourself put up these utilitarian posts like this one advocating for no restrictions but the reality of what would look like would be far different from what you expect, and that's coming from someone working in a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seanod99

I don't understand the whole I'm afraid of catching covid so everyone should lock down/follow strict conditions approach. I don't think it makes much difference as all the people peddling lockdown have pretty much locked themselves down already, people going about their lives normal shouldn't affect them assuming as looks the case that the transmission in supermarkets and pharmacies etc is miniscule. People seem to think they know what is best for the elderly/others and force it upon them. Most elderly have pensions or other means of living and do not have to work etc. They and the vulnerable should be told we will support you if you want it but you are free to take the risks if you so please, we aren't forcing you to do anything. As I say I don't see how this approach wouldn't suit the majority as all those calling for lockdown wouldn't be affected by it anyway and if they are as in they can't work from home, they should be allowed quit and go on a higher rate of pup than we currently have.
    At least with people back to work and spending as they normally would we can keep the obscene spending and borrowing going for much longer than our current course.
    Obviously this approach won't work in community settings such as nursing homes etc, and the approach in those settings would have to be extremely strict, better education for those working there on covid measures etc, no visits, if a nursing home resident wants to be visited and be free they should look into home help etc so as not to impact other residents.
    Essentially a two society system, where the two only meet in shopping centres, pharmacies etc, and in these places very strict lockdown like measures are in place such as limited numbers in shop, exaggerated distancing etc as well as current measures such as masks, sanitiser etc.
    It's not like this would affect the lockdown peddlers as they aren't the ones going to the cafe or going on shopping sprees anyway.

I know plenty of elderly who want to make their own decisions who are annoyed they can't go to mass, my own grand uncle during lockdown wouldn't go for walks because a guard stopped him one day and told him he should go back to his house for his own good even though he was within restrictions at the time, he was well aware of the risks as was willing but wouldn't go out for fear of what his neighbours or others thought.

If it then appears that it is affecting those afraid of catching it such as hospitals filling up and they can't get the help they need then lockdown for all is needed. Please don't push the mantra that it's too much for our medical workers, that's their job, I'm not talking about Italy levels, I'm talking about near or at capacity like they have been dealing with for years, which isn't right I know this country doesn't seem to do anything about it other than quote the number of those on trolleys every few weeks on the news and it dies down for another while. Once it is deemed the hospitals are near capacity we need to be locked down then as I say.

Obviously there needs to be cop on, lads going into late night tescos etc messing about after being down in the pub or getting pissed in the house all day as I have seen on friends stories in the UK and going about the place taking the piss would be a big covid risk and the likes of them need a kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You do realise that chances of dying of covid 19 in Ireland are 0.000391%
    That's approximately the percentage of the population who have died of covid in the last week - is that what you were trying to calculate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

seanod99 wrote: »
    Essentially a two society system
    H.G. Wells, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hospitals would be overrun, then when they hit capacity people will have to deal with any illness by themselves covid or non covid, more will end up dying when they could have been treated. People will end up having to pay for private treatment which would cost people more then the extra tax they'd have to pay from the lockdowns.

Most work places that can work from home will still do.

Even if it's not mandatory private businesses and workplaces will still have a mask rule.

Overall it will cause a huge rich-poor divide. The rich would be able to pay for private hospitals and safe private schools whilst the rest will have to live life in fear, hoping not to get sick as it would be almost unaffordable.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm not suffering mentally. I had the privilege to work the last ten weeks of pregnancy at home. No stressful commute, traffic, parking etc. Flexible hours. OH also working from home means he can be here much more. We wont have to be dumping our child into a creche at 7 in the morning five days a week to be minded by strangers. I've saved tonnes in petrol, pet sitter, lunches, parking etc. Weekly online shop for food. Nice walks in the park/ forest etc. A peaceful life really. Yup would love a sun holiday, a night out with friends and a good old shopping day in town, but I consider I'm made of stronger stuff than letting such things define my happiness.

No, definitely not suffering mentally :)

Nor am I. I live alone on a small island and am here a long while as my immune system is down. So in reality my life has not been affected directly. And there have been more community services to support.

Great points I have bolded. And so true.

Advertisement