Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel if restrictions were lifted?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Graham wrote: »
    Not really because it would be a stupid argument. I'm not sure there's a specific strawman forum anywhere on boards, maybe have a search.

FYI there are restrictions around the use of cars to reduce risks.

Yet there are consistently road deaths. Maybe a car lockdown would work.

Air pollution deaths plus RTAs almost kill as many as Covid has.

In Ireland, the number of premature deaths attributable to air pollution is estimated at 1,180 people and is mainly due to cardiovascular disease. The WHO has described air pollution as the 'single biggest environmental health risk'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bladespin wrote: »
    Absolutely, but how many of theses deaths were actually preventable?

See previous posts about excess deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

In Ireland, the number of premature deaths attributable to air pollution is estimated at 1,180 people and is mainly due to cardiovascular disease. The WHO has described air pollution as the 'single biggest environmental health risk'.

It's only a fair comparison if we were to look at deaths with NO lockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

FYI there are restrictions around the use of cars to reduce risks.

Last time I checked people still died in car accidents despite the restrictions. Not good enough cars are a death trap and should be banned.

GT89 wrote: »
    Last time I checked people still died in car accidents despite the restrictions. Not good enough cars are a dearh trap and should be banned.

horse dead, stop flogging :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If you're the main breadwinner (for want of a better word) and you can't afford food, you'll be hungry, and you can be sure as hell that will soon spread rapidly to your family who you couldn't provide for.

Jesus the whataboutery is getting evem more massive :pac:

Wrong. You can't catch 'hunger' off the next person. But you can catch Covid whether you or they are 'hungry' or anything else

The stupidity of such arguments is truely stupendous....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I would be very worried if they allowed a "free for all" approach to driving cars. No speed limits, no seatbelts, no traffic corps, no driving licenses etc.

As for the air pollution, two wrongs don't make a right. Ireland needs to get its **** together there, covid or no covid.

People die in public every day. Heart attacks, SADS, Brain bleeds, accidents. Death doesn't wait til you're in a hospital bed to take you.

whooosh

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

kippy wrote: »
    So what happens if more people catch it.

Every "case" is a step closer to herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

That's if herd immunity actually exists for Coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

People are gonna die either way. 95% of people including myself are suffering mental health effects of lockdown so if I'm suffering from mental health issues that I did not have before this panic started I would imagine people who had mental health problems anyway may have been sent over the edge to suicide even if they problems were under control beforehand.

That's not to mention people who missed screenings for things like cancer, heart disease and strokes the real killers in Ireland. Do those people matter to you or is covid the only worth caring about to you?

Sure if all the people that commit suicide or die from other diseases get replaced it doesnt matter to you anyway? What actually is your argument, you are all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Stark wrote: »
    I would be very worried if they allowed a "free for all" approach to driving cars. No speed limits, no seatbelts, no traffic corps, no driving licenses etc.

But presumably you're comfortable with the fact that we haven't banned them outright, yes?

Because then we've established the principle that some level of deaths is an acceptable price to pay for the activities we want to engage in, right?

And so the replies amounting to 'without restrictions more people will die' and 'COVID-19 is contagious, car accidents are not' are not in and of themselves good arguments for restrictions, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's only a fair comparison if we were to look at deaths with NO lockdown.

Well in a car lockdown we can remove all RTA deaths. So that would be 148 more people alive last year if we’d stopped cars. 115 so far this year.

Well in a car lockdown we can remove all RTA deaths. So that would be 148 more people alive last year if we’d stopped cars. 115 so far this year.

Still on this strawman?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tork wrote: »
    That's if herd immunity actually exists for Coronavirus

Amazing the small but vocal number latching on to the idea of "herd immunity' - with no idea what it actually means.
    Herd immunity is a concept used for vaccination, in which a population can be protected from a certain virus if a threshold of vaccination is reached. For example, herd immunity against measles requires about 95% of a population to be vaccinated...

"Herd immunities are achieved by protecting people from a virus, not by exposing them to it. Never in the history of public health has herd immunity been used as a strategy for responding to an outbreak, let alone a pandemic. It's scientifically and ethically problematic,"

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1171168/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder do those still rambling about car accidents think everyone should have a drivers license and let people build a "herd immunity" to road fatalities?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

pjohnson wrote: »
    I wonder do those still rambling about car accidents think everyone should have a drivers license and let people build a "herd immunity" to road fatalities?

I hit a cow with my car once, do I have herd immunity?

smck321 wrote: »

Did you have to go to ICMoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Did you have to go to ICMoo?

Yeah with an injury to my calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Only if you had bullbars on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

See previous posts about excess deaths

I think you misunderstood, yes, there was a spike in deaths early on (not so much now though), due to this virus but how many of those would have died had there been a mass outbreak of another more mundane virus like the flu?

Btw, not advocating herd immunity just playing devil’s advocate.

No but you are now at an increased risk of mad cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Nermal wrote: »
    But presumably you're comfortable with the fact that we haven't banned them outright, yes?

Because then we've established the principle that some level of deaths is an acceptable price to pay for the activities we want to engage in, right?

And so the replies amounting to 'without restrictions more people will die' and 'COVID-19 is contagious, car accidents are not' are not in and of themselves good arguments for restrictions, are they?

So what is your point then? We have established that some level of covid death is acceptable as well, given that some places like gyms and schools remain open. We have decided having them open is more important than minimising whatever they contribute to covid cases. If we hadnt considered it acceptable, we'd be on a constant level 5 and shutting everything that contributes to the spread whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Some of the attitude and logic displayed in here is beyond ridiculous.
    'People die every day, so what?'
    'People die of other things to'
    'We are all gonna die anyway of something'
    '95 percent of people have mental health issues as a result of this'

If that's the overriding attitude shut the hospitals straight away, remove all funding for medical research and let's just let nature take its course because 'arent we all gonna die anyway'
    Fxcking nonsense stuff.

I also have not doubt that there are people who have genuine mental health problems before this that are made worse by this and that there are people who have been struggling since this crisis came in but 95 percent?
    To say that is to not understand what mental illness actually is.

Last time I checked people still died in car accidents despite the restrictions. Not good enough cars are a death trap and should be banned.

Same people with the same flawed arguments over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Sure if all the people that commit suicide or die from other diseases get replaced it doesnt matter to you anyway? What actually is your argument, you are all over the place.

My main argument is there is no need for the riddiculous restrictions.

And your argument has been pulled asunder numerous times

Maybe some of the restrictions are OTT, but you're literally one of the only people I've ever heard of that thinks there should be no restrictions. You're very much out their on your own, even among those with extreme views in this regard

And your basis for that is? You are really struggling to get any sort of coherent point across here.

And your basis for that is? You are really struggling to get any sort of coherent point across here.

Belarus seems to be the main gist of it..

We should all aim to be more like Belarus..then life will be perfect. I can't say before this I've ever heard anyone say anything good about Belarus. But now...we're all wishing we lived in such a place so committed to safeguarding the liberties of it's citizens

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Belarus seems to be the main gist of it..

We should all aim to be more like Belarus..then life will be perfect. I can't say before this I've ever heard anyone say anything good about Belarus. But now...we're all wishing we lived in such a place so committed to safeguarding the liberties of it's citizens

It's particularly funny picking Belarus considering who is currently "in charge" there and the evidence that that the COVID deaths there were significantly down played and underreported to suit his agenda.

Not that I expect the OP to be aware of any political climate outside of their own head.

Advertisement