Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, we have hit out highest daily cases now in Wexford with 62 in one day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Marhay70 wrote: »
    ##

The publicans whinged and moaned to be allowed to open, pleading that they would be good little boys and girls and abide by the rules, saying that their livelihoods were at risk. Now what, everybody's livelihood is at risk, the country's livelihood is at risk. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that alcohol and responsibility are not typical bedfellows and if our leaders were not so busy trying to make themselves look like somebody with half a brain while covering their ar*es from each others' sniping, they'd have realised it too.
    The argument the pubs used was at 1 point we were the only country in the EU who didn't have the 'wet' pubs open, they have seriously shot themselves in the foot with those who flouted the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

dowlingm wrote: »
    Instead, pubs being open seems to have extended into a general assumption that life is going on as normal, which will all be fine and well until one of these people or their close contact brings their new infection into a nursing home and it lays waste.

^ This. "It's not a problem until it becomes my problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The maddening part is , the ones acting the bollicks will blame everyone but themselves and tell us the government are doing things all wrong .
    heard a rumour , dont know how true it is , that the fella running the pub in rathangan , near duncormick has been ''dismissed'' by the owner due to all the carry on in the pub

I hope it's true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The argument the pubs used was at 1 point we were the only country in the EU who didn't have the 'wet' pubs open, they have seriously shot themselves in the foot with those who flouted the rules.

It always pi**esn me off whan you get comparisons between Ireland and European countries as if we were peas in a pod, I have relatives in Germany and Finland and in both countries the general public are fond of their beer but they just don't seem to lose the run of themselves the way we do.
    Part of the problem is authority's attitude to alcohol, how many times have you seen lawyers argue mitigation for a client because they had consumed alcohol, worse again how many times have you seen it granted. Alcohol is used as an excuse for every crime on the statute books and until we change our attitude to it we will continue to have a dysfunctional society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Skeetur

Wexford has had 50% more cases in the last two weeks than it had in total for the six months from March to September. From being nowhere in the national figures we are now in the top 5 and all thanks to these selfish stupid bas*ards.
    My wife and I are now going to have to coccoon again.
    its a shame all right when the county had done so well . very few cases in the south of county i got a bit of a shock when next door neighbour and daughter got it and they were very careful
    The maddening part is , the ones acting the bollicks will blame everyone but themselves and tell us the government are doing things all wrong .
    heard a rumour , dont know how true it is , that the fella running the pub in rathangan , near duncormick has been ''dismissed'' by the owner due to all the carry on in the pub

To give you an insight into the lad that ran the pub and the gob****es that were in the pub that night. His family and friends are all currently attacking a local girl fighting cancer who posted a video saying it was disgraceful carry on. More concerned about themselves looking bad than the mess they've caused and the lives they've put at risk in the wider community.

• Advertisement

Skeetur wrote: »
    To give you an insight into the lad that ran the pub and the gob****es that were in the pub that night. His family and friends are all currently attacking a local girl fighting cancer who posted a video saying it was disgraceful carry on. More concerned about themselves looking bad than the mess they've caused and the lives they've put at risk in the wider community.

Despicable and this attitude is not something you are born with, it comes from your upbringing and your surroundings. Lived around that area for a while. it had more than its share of brain dead morons, particularly to do with the GAA. Unfortunately some very decent people too who were unlucky enough to have to breathe the same air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

he's not very well though of in the area anyway, well not among those of even average standards , even before this carry on he was abit if a cowboy . Sad part is the fella who owns the pub is a decent enough sort of lad
    had a good laugh , although its not funny , my young lad showed me a post on facebook of his picture with the pub behind him and the title ''wuhan bar''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

##

The publicans whinged and moaned to be allowed to open, pleading that they would be good little boys and girls and abide by the rules, saying that their livelihoods were at risk. Now what, everybody's livelihood is at risk, the country's livelihood is at risk. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that alcohol and responsibility are not typical bedfellows and if our leaders were not so busy trying to make themselves look like somebody with half a brain while covering their ar*es from each others' sniping, they'd have realised it too.

The vast majority of them were abiding by rules but if it makes ye feel better to keep tarring one entire group of people publicans, GAA etc by the actions of a few work away.

My own club were in a county final on the same weekend, had no meal, had a few drinks in our local and have had no issues whatsoever, no cases, nothing in the community. The pub was already set up well in regards to the regulations as they were, closed on time and thats it. Follow the rules, dont pull the preverbial and ye can have a drink, dont and youre barred, it was quite simple really.

Basically put, it comes down to personal responsibility and thats it, its not the fault of one group but the fault of individual decisions, end of.

the kelt wrote: »
    The vast majority of them were abiding by rules but if it makes ye feel better to keep tarring one entire group of people publicans, GAA etc by the actions of a few work away.

My own club were in a county final on the same weekend, had no meal, had a few drinks in our local and have had no issues whatsoever, no cases, nothing in the community. The pub was already set up well in regards to the regulations as they were, closed on time and thats it. Follow the rules, dont pull the preverbial and ye can have a drink, dont and youre barred, it was quite simple really.

Basically put, it comes down to personal responsibility and thats it, its not the fault of one group but the fault of individual decisions, end of.

We hear that excuse all the time, particularly when it comes to our "nomadic" neighbours. Truth is, you don't know that the majority were abiding by the rules, you just know that your team and those associated with it were abiding by the rules. I've heard and seen so many instances of publicans and GAA clubs not abiding by the rules that I'm pretty sure it's not isolated.

he's not very well though of in the area anyway, well not among those of even average standards , even before this carry on he was abit if a cowboy . Sad part is the fella who owns the pub is a decent enough sort of lad
    had a good laugh , although its not funny , my young lad showed me a post on facebook of his picture with the pub behind him and the title ''wuhan bar''

He's known as a cowboy but that's what a large part of the people in that area like because most of them are gob****es. If you look at social media the narrative from most people from that area is that people (particularly that girl) drawing attention to the fact the pub flouted all the restrictions is the problem. Not the virus.

There's more emphasis put on and concern about how the guy running the pub and his family are upset over the publicity than about the fact they ignored every single restriction in place and caused an outbreak putting people in hospital.

Typical small parish bogger **** about closing ranks and downplaying seriously dangerous behaviour so as not to look bad and convincing themselves that this is the height of community responsibility.

• Advertisement

He's known as a cowboy but that's what a large part of the people in that area like because most of them are gob****es. If you look at social media the narrative from most people from that area is that people (particularly that girl) drawing attention to the fact the pub flouted all the restrictions is the problem. Not the virus.

There's more emphasis put on and concern about how the guy running the pub and his family are upset over the publicity than about the fact they ignored every single restriction in place and caused an outbreak putting people in hospital.

Typical small parish bogger **** about closing ranks and downplaying seriously dangerous behaviour so as not to look bad and convincing themselves that this is the height of community responsibility.
    to be fair you can't put a whole community under 1 umbrella, I'd say every parish has its portion of decent people and portion of gob****es, I've relations in the parish myself and know for a fact they're horrified by it all like any well minded person would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

We hear that excuse all the time, particularly when it comes to our "nomadic" neighbours. Truth is, you don't know that the majority were abiding by the rules, you just know that your team and those associated with it were abiding by the rules. I've heard and seen so many instances of publicans and GAA clubs not abiding by the rules that I'm pretty sure it's not isolated.

And the truth is that you dont know that the majority werent abiding, youre assuming on hearsay and gossip unless of course you know the inner workings of every pub and gaa club in the county/country.

Again if that floats your boat then so be it, me personally i dont judge entire groups of people on hearsay and gossip but each to their own.

Of course it was reported by Fergal Bowers the RTE Health Correspondent for example 4 days ago that there was a total of 9 outbreaks linked to sporting activity/fitness in the entire country. Not just GAA, all sporting/fitness activities, Thousands of teams, clubs, training sessions, matches etc etc but im sure Whatsapp, facebook and all probably know more. Of course in spetember there was over 1000 clusters linked to private houses which ahs risen again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-1-000-covid-19-clusters-linked-to-private-homes-in-september-1.4371609

Again 4 days ago it was reported that 3,252 cases were in private houses in the week, schools were actually 73 and pubs were 14 in that week!

But sure its all the pubs and the GAA cos ye know theres a video doing the rounds on whatsapp!

The fact is that none of us are perfect in this battle, the private houses numbers indicate that really this our biggest concern and that simply comes down to taking individual responsibility. You are alwyas going to get idiots but that isnt dependent on their business/profession or sporting affiliation..

to be fair you can't put a whole community under 1 umbrella, I'd say every parish has its portion of decent people and portion of gob****es, I've relations in the parish myself and know for a fact they're horrified by it all like any well minded person would be.

I'm not saying everyone there is like that but from what I see the prevailing concensus is, yes he's a cowboy, but he's our cowboy and we stand by our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

"yes he's a cowboy, but he's our cowboy and we stand by our own." - thats why we have no accountability and a virus spreading as rapidly as it is.

I'm not saying everyone there is like that but from what I see the prevailing concensus is, yes he's a cowboy, but he's our cowboy and we stand by our own.
    how do you know it's a prevailing consensus, I'd say possibly more like an idiotic minority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

how do you know it's a prevailing consensus, I'd say possibly more like an idiotic minority

Yeah, the vast majority of the community are outraged. The only people sticking up for him are friends and family.

Yeah, the vast majority of the community are outraged. The only people sticking up for him are friends and family.
    but the sensationalist claims made earlier about the majority of the community travel faster...

Ironically the person complaining about a perceived small minded mentality in a parish is actually being narrowed minded themselves painting everyone in the parish under 1 brush.

the kelt wrote: »
    And the truth is that you dont know that the majority werent abiding, youre assuming on hearsay and gossip unless of course you know the inner workings of every pub and gaa club in the county/country.

Again if that floats your boat then so be it, me personally i dont judge entire groups of people on hearsay and gossip but each to their own.

Of course it was reported by Fergal Bowers the RTE Health Correspondent for example 4 days ago that there was a total of 9 outbreaks linked to sporting activity/fitness in the entire country. Not just GAA, all sporting/fitness activities, Thousands of teams, clubs, training sessions, matches etc etc but im sure Whatsapp, facebook and all probably know more. Of course in spetember there was over 1000 clusters linked to private houses which ahs risen again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-1-000-covid-19-clusters-linked-to-private-homes-in-september-1.4371609

Again 4 days ago it was reported that 3,252 cases were in private houses in the week, schools were actually 73 and pubs were 14 in that week!

But sure its all the pubs and the GAA cos ye know theres a video doing the rounds on whatsapp!

The fact is that none of us are perfect in this battle, the private houses numbers indicate that really this our biggest concern and that simply comes down to taking individual responsibility. You are alwyas going to get idiots but that isnt dependent on their business/profession or sporting affiliation..

And I'm not saying that GAA and the publicans are entirely to blame, just that they are not whiter than white or as hard done by as they pretend to be. In my local town there are four pubs, two owned by the same person which have regularly flouted the rules, with no distancing, no food and no 11 o'clock closing.
    One other is toying with the rules and one seems to be compliant, that's 25%, far from a majority. In addition, two of the clubs which were involved in recent scandals, are within my catchment area so if mine is a typical case, and I suspect it is, then flouting of the rules is widespread.

but the sensationalist claims made earlier about the majority of the community travel faster...

Ironically the person complaining about a perceived small minded mentality in a parish is actually being narrowed minded themselves painting everyone in the parish under 1 brush.

Absolute nonsense from someone who hasn't a clue about the community. Perhaps get your facts right before talking ****e.

If the majority are outraged they're not saying it. That's on social media as well as locally. The "friends and family" are the hundreds from the area who know the guy and frequent the pub or the people who do.

The majority of people giving out are people from surrounding areas and further afield who are followers of that girls cancer story.

Absolute nonsense from someone who hasn't a clue about the community. Perhaps get your facts right before talking ****e.

If the majority are outraged they're not saying it. That's on social media as well as locally. The "friends and family" are the hundreds from the area who know the guy and frequent the pub or the people who do.

The majority of people giving out are people from surrounding areas and further afield who are followers of that girls cancer story.
    if someone is outraged why are obliged to post it on the social media? I taught what went on by all rumours is disgraceful but I didn't post about it on social media,think you're guilty of presumtion myself. Think the people not happy are people with a bit of cop on doesn't matter weather their from that parish or another

• Advertisement

Are you basing this entirely off of social media? Also that girl is from the community and extremely popular, and far more people have sided with her from the area.

Where have you seen hundreds of people voice support for the pub?

if someone is outraged why are obliged to post it on the social media? I taught what went on by all reports is disgraceful but I didn't post about it on social media,think you're guilty of presumtion myself

"think you're guilty of presumtion"

Based on what? You're own presumtion that people are outraged based on your relations or what 1 guy said on boards?

You're happy to take that as fact and then label someone small minded for having an opinion on their own community?

Unlike you I live in the community. I talk to other people in the community. I know what people are saying in the local area. I'm not an uninformed hypocrite talking out my arse like yourself.

Based on what? You're own presumtion that people are outraged based on your relations or what 1 guy said on boards?

You're happy to take that as fact and then label someone small minded for having an opinion on their own community?

Unlike you I live in the community. I talk to other people in the community. I know what people are saying in the local area. I'm not an uninformed hypocrite talking out my arse like yourself.

I live there too, and bar a small minority of idiots, no one is happy with what happened. Everyone has been affected by the lockdown, most have had an elderly relative cocooning, and most are angry at the prospect of going back to that because of the irresponsible behaviour of the pub and GAA.

your guilty of presumption by trying to paint a whole parish with 1 brush rather than the brainless idiots responsible, not very hard to understand, doesn't matter weather you live in the parish or not

Haven't seen 1 poster here trying to defend the indefensible, just stating that painting a whole parish with 1 brush isn't right just like what's rumoured to have happened that even isn't right but on a whole other level. Your aggression to myself and 1 or 2 others here is a bit misplaced and irrational.

I live there too, and bar a small minority of idiots, no one is happy with what happened. Everyone has been affected by the lockdown, most have had an elderly relative cocooning, and most are angry at the prospect of going back to that because of the irresponsible behaviour of the pub and GAA.

It's not a small minority. There was over 100 people supporting the post criticising the girl who put up the video and while that was mostly family and close friends talking there was a lot of people from the local area supporting the sentiment. And there's a lot more too more concerned about the publicity, the pub closing and being blamed than the spread of the virus. It's not exactly a big area.

Most of those supporting that girl BTW are from surrounding areas, she's obviously got local friends and support too but she's become somewhat of a celebrity figure. That's what's driving the local upset it seems. Her going to her "followers" and drumming up an angry mob of people not from the area to criticise the pub and local community and that guys family and the families of the people who were in the pub now seem to see themselves as victims due to that.

your guilty of presumption by trying to paint a whole parish with 1 brush rather than the brainless idiots responsible, not very hard to understand, doesn't matter weather you live in the parish or not

Haven't seen 1 poster here trying to defend the indefensible, just stating that painting a whole parish with 1 brush isn't right just like what's rumoured to have happened that even isn't right but on a whole other level. Your aggression to myself and 1 or 2 others here is a bit misplaced and irrational.

I never painted a whole parish based on anything. You've said that multiple times yet I never once said anything about the whole parish or whole community. I said there's a large proportion of people acting a certain way and the prevailing opinion seems to me to be a certain way.

Again, you have no clue what you're talking about here. You're not from the community. Everything you've said has been either based on misrepresenting my posts claiming I'm referring to an entire community which I never did, or based on the presumption that the majority opinion of the entire community met your expectations.

You're a hypocrite talking out of your arse about things you know nothing about. That's not aggression that's just a simple fact.

It's not a small minority. There was over 100 people supporting the post criticising the girl who put up the video and while that was mostly family and close friends talking there was a lot of people from the local area supporting the sentiment. And there's a lot more too more concerned about the publicity, the pub closing and being blamed than the spread of the virus. It's not exactly a big area.

Most of those supporting that girl BTW are from surrounding areas, she's obviously got local friends and support too but she's become somewhat of a celebrity figure. That's what's driving the local upset it seems. Her going to her "followers" and drumming up an angry mob of people not from the area to criticise the pub and local community and that guys family and the families of the people who were in the pub now seem to see themselves as victims due to that.

That post didn't have over 100 likes, as of now it has 100 and there is even people arguing on it, and a lot of the the people that liked it aren't from the area either. You're deliberately exaggerating.

I don't agree with the post one bit, and I won't be giving any business to that pub again, but what's heartening for me is that most people in the area are not happy with what happened. The pub and family have shamed themselves by attacking the girl, but their support is minimal.

That post didn't have over 100 likes, as of now it has 100 and there is even people arguing on it, and a lot of the the people that liked it aren't from the area either. You're deliberately exaggerating.

I don't agree with the post one bit, and I won't be giving any business to that pub again, but what's heartening for me is that most people in the area are not happy with what happened.

It didn't have over 100. It has exactly 100. You got me. I made the whole thing up...

I won't be giving them any business either but you know as well as me when it eventually opens it'll be packed and many a pint raised to himself because its not a small minority that's behind him.

It didn't have over 100. It has exactly 100. You got me. I made the whole thing up...

Yes and looking through I'd say most of the likes are actually from outside the area.

I never said you made it up, just exaggerated. You're the one that wanted to cite social media as evidence afterall...

• Advertisement

I won't be giving them any business either but you know as well as me when it eventually opens it'll be packed and many a pint raised to himself because its not a small minority that's behind him.
    from what I'm hearing locally he'll be no longer running the pub...also posted by someone here yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement