Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading SD card

Options
  • 14-10-2020 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

My 256GB card is full, so I picked to a 512GB in the Amazon prime day sales. What's the best way to transfer over everything to the new card?

I have all my stuff backed up with Nintendo online, however my son also plays on the same switch, but he has no online account, so his stuff is not backed up. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have 256 GB free to copy over and back.

Could I just move the games my son plays into internal memory (there is enough memory), pop in the new card, redownload my games, restore my backups and transfer the internal games to the SD card.

Or is there some way I can cherry pick stuff from the SD card to my laptop, and restore just those files to the new SD card and restore the rest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ok, this was not so straight forward as all the tutorials I read declare. I had to archive around 200GB of games so that I could copy from 1 card to another.

I copied the smallish Nintendo folder to my hard drive. Formatted the new card with the official SD card formatting tool, and copied over the Nintendo folder. On startng the switch it would not recognise the SD card. Repeated the steps but still the same.

After a lot of googling, finally found a solution that worked. I had to format the SD card in the switch. Then I copied the Nintendo folder from my hard disk into the SD card. And, the important part, don't replace existing files on the SD card.

Couple of hours later and I was up and running with my son's saves preserved. Now I have to redownload all the games i archived, and it is super slow even though I have a fast internet connection and my switch runs over Ethernet. Will probably be tomorrow evening when it is complete, Nintendo's servers seen to be very slow.

Advertisement