Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finland v Republic of Ireland - Match Thread - K.O 17.00 14/10/20 - Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jaysus beaten home and away by Finland!

Finland FFS

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Disgraceful goal to concede.

Should have been a should've won 0-0

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Ridiculous to give a free to Finland there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'd still rather they try to play football and not score than not try to play football and not score. A horrid week. Glad it's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cowley Brothers, Spaletti, Allardyce, Blanc, Jardim, Hughes, Klinsmann, Howe, Pearson, Wagner....... I could be here all night

Klinsmann? You absolute sham!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Piss poor.

Did we even win on possession this time?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

noodler wrote: »
    Brady is heartbreaking at times.

I never take it out on players, not since Given at Euro 2012 anyway, but Brady was a disgrace tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very unlucky tonight.
    Conceded a very sloppy goal.
    Created lots of chances and just need to put one or two away.
    Going the right direction and the wins will come.
    We just need get a settled team with our best players in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Cowley Brothers, Spaletti, Allardyce, Blanc, Jardim, Hughes, Klinsmann, Howe, Pearson, Wagner....... I could be here all night

Klinsmann. I'm dead :D

You've lost any ounce of credibility with that suggestion alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Hmmmm.
    Finland do have a nice jersey though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Bound to be a massive overreaction to this, mostly from people who haven't a clue about football. Yes we can point out issues in terms of the play and the tactics, we should never shy away from that. But having a cheap dig at Kenny is pathetic. He took over in uncertain times and his preparations have been badly hit in this window. Give him a break ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

balls anyway

Thank **** this international window is over as it was bloody hell with very little positives in both senior and U21 set up

Work needs to be done in the background but what that is ?? i have no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Played well,just can't stick it in the onion sack.
    Hopefully break our duck v Bulgaria at home.
    Seen enough positives tonight to suggest we're going about things the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Anyone can list any random names. The inclusion of at least a certain few in there show you just dont care once it's not Kenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Another poor showing from this management regime which looks more and more out of its depth. 5 games played and we've not won a single one, drawn two, and lost three - including two defeats to Finland who we never lost to before Kenny came along.

480 minutes of Kennyball and we've got no goals in open play. Just a Duffy header from a set-piece. It's pitiful.

The responsibility rests with Kenny who has chosen woeful squads. Let's not forget he claimed he needed pace in his opening game which is why he had to play Idah, and yet he didn't start him tonight. He started Maguire and hooked him after 52 minutes despite him having a decent first half. He persists with these pragmatic picks like Hendrick who don't fit the passing style he claims to support.

He is just throwing stuff at a wall hoping it will stick. Those defending this mediocrity unquestionably are too afraid to admit the possibility they have backed a dud.

This is the worst, most directionless Ireland team I've seen since the Staunton era. No identity to speak of. No clear path forward. Just watching three chaps sinking and shrinking before our eyes, hoping to learn as they go along. We are in danger of squandering our best young generation of players in twenty years under this lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

When he took over from Charlton, he lost the first 7 games in charge.

Oh, we were the same level as Croatia? Portugal? Czech Republic’s golden generation? Holland?

I don’t remember us being that good when Big Jack left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bound to be a massive overreaction to this, mostly from people who haven't a clue about football. Yes we can point out issues in terms of the play and the tactics, we should never shy away from that. But having a cheap dig at Kenny is pathetic. He took over in uncertain times and his preparations have been badly hit in this window. Give him a break ffs.

He’ll have to get wins at some point. He’s using up all his capital in the job right now.

Awww poor Stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭PGE1970

5 games in and it's been a shocking start.

One decent performance and one goal is poor.

I know that Stephen Kenny has limited resources to work with and is missing players but starting Horgan won't help deflect criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Great to see a crowd attend a game. Been a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Dark days for Ireland at the moment. Whoever the manager, to be winless after 5 games with 1 goal and none from open play is poor, even for Irish standards. We got what can we be described as a handy group as well as a handy playoff opponent and to be in the position we are now is so disheartening.

There's some talented young lads coming through that are going to need a few years to see the fruits of their labor, but questions need to be asked whether Kenny is the man to blood these lads in. All for the change in tactics and style of play that Kenny has brought in, but that still doesn't mean he is the answer. I'm happy we're moving away from the days of hoofball, but playing nice football without the results isn't real progress. There has to be some progress after next months matches, or serious questions need to be asked.

Mushy wrote: »
    Anyone can list any random names. The inclusion of at least a certain few in there show you just dont care once it's not Kenny

They aren’t random names. They are managers currently available, I was asked who could take over, I provided a few names who could take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Another poor showing from this management regime which looks more and more out of its depth. 5 games played and we've not won a single one, drawn two, and lost three - including two defeats to Finland who we never lost to before Kenny came along.

480 minutes of Kennyball and we've got no goals in open play. Just a Duffy header from a set-piece. It's pitiful.

The responsibility rests with Kenny who has chosen woeful squads. Let's not forget he claimed he needed pace in his opening game which is why he had to play Idah, and yet he didn't start him tonight. He started Maguire and hooked him after 52 minutes despite him having a decent first half. He persists with these pragmatic picks like Hendrick who don't fit the passing style he claims to support.

He is just throwing stuff at a wall hoping it will stick. Those defending this mediocrity unquestionably are too afraid to admit the possibility they have backed a dud.

This is the worst, most directionless Ireland team I've seen since the Staunton era. No identity to speak of. No clear path forward. Just watching three chaps sinking and shrinking before our eyes, hoping to learn as they go along. We are in danger of squandering our best young generation of players in twenty years under this lot.

The post and user who thanked it is possibly one of the funniest things I've seen on here in a while.

That was a post you'd hardly have after a year of someone in the job, nevermind 5 games, 1 of which was with a decimated squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

From what I saw, 60min on, Doherty was poor enough, he had the head dropped on a good few occasions when we were looking for urgency, what we’d give for a young Robbie Keane now!!

They aren’t random names. They are managers currently available, I was asked who could take over, I provided a few names who could take over.

Cowley brothers were disasters at Huddersfield. If that's first name on available names, we'd just take anyone at all then long as it's 'not Kenny'. Clear as day since appointment from some, not even masking it.

Oh I assumed youd want a guaranteed improvement, not just a different manager. Good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You can see the way Kenny wants to play and we're playing some good football i think, just can't score.

Let's not pretend though that for the last 2 years we've been any good, lumping it forward in hope for the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Curtis did everything right there at the end but it was a great save. Pity.

The biggest thing is we look like never scoring for vast periods. The under 21 game was very similar. We play well enough but nothing happens in the final third.

I'd give Kenny more time as this window had all sorts of complications and we are playing good stuff.

We look like we are trying 50 passes before we shoot all the time though. It's frustrating as now you can kind of feel that we wont score at all. The worry is that the players might start to believe that too and then that's the end of Kenny. We need to get a few goals at the very least in the next couple of games as we all or most of us, want to give him time but that goodwill will run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Heading in the right direction, ireland and unders is free money, keep up the good work kenny the goals will come :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I can see a maximum of two names in that list who'd take it. So the rest are not really viable replacements.

You'd be as well suggesting Flick, Klopp, Guardiola, Simeone, Conte, Mourinho etc. They're as likely to happen.

EDIT: Possibly make it one actually, since the Cowleys reportedly want a break from footie. Nigel Pearson is the saviour then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

You've no credibility after that statement. Where were you when the Martin O'Neill era had its arse dragged to a wretched and brutal end? Did you actually watch any of those games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

glenjamin wrote: »
    Dark days for Ireland at the moment. Whoever the manager, to be winless after 5 games with 1 goal and none from open play is poor, even for Irish standards. We got what can we be described as a handy group as well as a handy playoff opponent and to be in the position we are now is so disheartening.

There's some talented young lads coming through that are going to need a few years to see the fruits of their labor, but questions need to be asked whether Kenny is the man to blood these lads in. All for the change in tactics and style of play that Kenny has brought in, but that still doesn't mean he is the answer. I'm happy we're moving away from the days of hoofball, but playing nice football without the results isn't real progress. There has to be some progress after next months matches, or serious questions need to be asked.

You mean the guy that has been working with these young players before moving to the seniors and had these young lads playing well as a team.

That's 5 games under Kenny against poor opposition.

Only one goal scored and no wins from 5.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Acosta wrote: »
    I'd still rather they try to play football and not score than not try to play football and not score. A horrid week. Glad it's over.
    '
    Indeed, reading some of the bull**** here, im getting nostalgic for the days when Mick and MON may have had us playing stone age football but at least we were but creating bucketloads of chances :rolleyes:

That's 5 games under Kenny against poor opposition.

Only one goal scored and no wins from 5.

That's a nice synopsis. Anything constructive to add?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

You couuld play like Brazil in the 70s but if no one can stick it in the back of the fookin net, we're going nowhere.

Kenny has been dealt a raw deal, week of nightmares with injuries/covid, etc. but the history book won't care about that and see 0 goals and 1 draw.

I'm all for Kenny and see it as a long term project, but we need a win either v Wales or Bulgaria to get the show on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You mean the guy that has been working with these young players before moving to the seniors and had these young lads playing well as a team.

Wait. What young players did Kenny work with at under-21 level that have magically stepped up to senior straight away?

Of the team that started vs Slovakia, all of them would have played under McCarthy. I know Connolly and Idah were missing that day, but still, it isn't exactly Spain's golden generation getting thrust into the limelight. Heck, it isn't even Kerr's underage lads of twenty years ago.

Mushy wrote: »
    Oh I assumed youd want a guaranteed improvement, not just a different manager. Good to know

I answered the question asked. Howe would be an improvement. Allardyce. Wagner. Pearson. Pulis would probably have us grinding our results, not great to watch but effective.

But as I said, there are plenty of decent managers out there. It’s for the FAI to pick one. Kenny is not one. Not too hard to improve on 2 draws, 3 losses against the dregs of international football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think, given time, Kenny's methods will work. It's hard to read anything into the last two games, with so many players been unavailable.

Radically changing the teams style of play is not going to bring immediate success, but I don't see how we can be any worse off really. We haven't qualified for the last couple of tournaments with caveman football. Ireland have been truly atrocious to watch for years, at least now they are making an attempt to play football. They may not be getting results, yet, but I don't feel utterly depressed watching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

By Duffy header standards that was a great chance.

3 good chances i've seen today:

Great save at the end by the keeper from Curtis ?
    Duffy unchallenged header - usually scores
    Matt Doherty chance in the box, scuffed it wide

then there's Enda Stevens hitting the cross bar...

We are going in the right direction, keep the faith... no luck at all so far - and that's even with all the Corona crap..

I answered the question asked. Howe would be an improvement. Allardyce. Wagner. Pearson. Pulis would probably have us grinding our results, not great to watch but effective.

But as I said, there are plenty of decent managers out there. It’s for the FAI to pick one. Kenny is not one. Not too hard to improve on 2 draws, 3 losses against the dregs of international football.

Being realistic, would you see Howe, Allardyce, Wagner, Pearson or Pulis going for/taking the job? Theyll all suffer the exact same problem of not having a decent goalscorer, exact same as now, exact same as last few years.

Dregs of international football? Not like we're a League A team playing these games, literally every game has been against a team of the same standard. Bare in mind Ireland should be in league C too until it was changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Arghus wrote: »
    I think, given time, Kenny's methods will work. It's hard to read anything into the last two games, with so many players been unavailable.

Radically changing the teams style of play is not going to bring immediate success, but I don't see how we can be any worse off really. We haven't qualified for the last couple of tournaments with caveman football. Ireland have been truly atrocious to watch for years, at least now they are making an attempt to play football. They may not be getting results, yet, but I don't feel utterly depressed watching them.

same - I can see what they are trying to do. They just need more time to get used to having the ball in the opposition half.

There was one segment in the second half where they played out from a tight situation at left back with some sharp passing and then spread a quick diagonal ball across the field to set Doherty away in full flight..

Sure we'd never have seen that before - it would have percentages football in to the stands with Mick or Martin bellowing their support...

Puke football as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

There’s only so many games you can lose saying we’re doing the right things etc. You can’t keep coming back with the hard luck story.

Another two games next month v Wales and Bulgaria. We have to beat Bulgaria and ensure we don’t get relegated. You need results otherwise your players stop believing and change is needed. Stephen unfortunately is using up all his honeymoon time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

where exactly do you think Ireland sit right now in International football?

Delusions of grandeur is half the problem with Irish football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

First half I think we were slightly the better team but maybe Finland had the more dangerous looking chances.

Second half I thought Finland were the better team and we were a little more sloppy with our passing.

I get the feeling it would be 0-0 result if Randolf does not make that mistake.

We had a few decent chances over all. It’s not the best performance we’ve had lately but still better than last month.

We just need to give it more time and hopefully we have a player or two who steps up a level in the final third of the pitch.

An average premier league striker and and top 10 level Attacking midfielder is all we are missing to start winning games.

I think some fail to understand that it's not whether Kenny, or any particular manager, will be successful or not, it's about completely and utterly writing them off because of an already set agenda from the start. Kenny may not end up doing well as Ireland manager in the long run, all possibilities should be open when having an opinion, but writing him off because of 'I said it from the start' nonsense is peak 2020 short-termism, football discussion.

A manager with so called 'experience' would never, ever be written off after 5 games (well it was actually before any games were played to be honest) Selectionism at it's finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I want Kenny to be given a proper chance because we've been playing minor variations on the same theme of booting the ball long and hoping to graft out results since 2008 and it's been successful once: Qualifying for and playing in Euro 2016. And, entirely incidentally, I'm sure, that was the campaign in which we played the least amount of hoofball.

And no, I haven't forgotten about Euro 2012. I don't count it as a success cos we were incredibly lucky to draw an absolutely piss weak Estonia side in the playoffs (and people talked about Slovakia & Northern Ireland being the best chance we ever had in a playoff?) and then embarrassed ourselves once we got there, being the worst team by a margin.

We bring in more alehouse managers like Allardyce (who probably won't take it anyway) or Pearson then we can look forward to one major finals where we look like a football team every 12 years. I want to us to try something different, and I'm not writing it off after 1 competitive game and 4 glorified friendlies.

If that makes me a "Kenny apologist", then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wait. What young players did Kenny work with at under-21 level that have magically stepped up to senior straight away?

Of the team that started vs Slovakia, all of them would have played under McCarthy. I know Connolly and Idah were missing that day, but still, it isn't exactly Spain's golden generation getting thrust into the limelight. Heck, it isn't even Kerr's underage lads of twenty years ago.

And you've totally misread my post. Where did I say these young players have magically stepped up already.

Other poster said we've got good young players coming through and questions might need to be asked to see if Kenny is the right guy to blood these young players into the senior team. Guys like Molumby, Knight, O'Shea, Parrott etc, guys that were playing good football under Kenny at U21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I think the style of play thing is way too over hyped on here, yes we're passing the ball a bit more but it's not like this is a massive upheaval for the players, they do this every week at their clubs.

A bigger issue is the quality available to us especially in midfield, we have nobody that creates chances or can dictate the pace of the game. We're completely toothless. We badly need one of the young players to step up and fill this gap.

A good few of the players look like they're just going through the motions and would prefer not to be there. This is the part Kenny needs to work hard to change. He needs to judge the players on attitude as much as talent, there's plenty of this group we wouldn't miss if they never played again for us.

I'm hoping he can turn things around but he needs a win fast

• Advertisement
Advertisement