Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finland v Republic of Ireland - Match Thread - K.O 17.00 14/10/20 - Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Jaysus beaten home and away by Finland!

Finland FFS

You have notions about Ireland to be honest, who are we on the world football stage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mushy wrote: »
    Being realistic, would you see Howe, Allardyce, Wagner, Pearson or Pulis going for/taking the job? Theyll all suffer the exact same problem of not having a decent goalscorer, exact same as now, exact same as last few years.

Dregs of international football? Not like we're a League A team playing these games, literally every game has been against a team of the same standard. Bare in mind Ireland should be in league C too until it was changed

Bulgaria and Slovakia minus their only decent players are dregs of international football. Finland and Wales (without Bale) are about the same level as us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bulgaria and Slovakia minus their only decent players are dregs of international football. Finland and Wales (without Bale) are about the same level as us.

Why would you just take out players to suit the argument? What you've just said there is all teams are the same level as us, bar wales who are higher. Solid clarification!

Why would you just take out players to suit the argument? What you've just said there is all teams are the same level as us, bar wales who are higher. Solid clarification!

Covid took their players out, not me. Bulgaria are well below us. As are Slovakia without their 3 best players. You’d swear we’d being playing Spain, France and Germany. They won’t let us have toothless possession, they’ll press us and we’ll be absolutely destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

RonanG86 wrote: »
    I want Kenny to be given a proper chance because we've been playing minor variations on the same theme of booting the ball long and hoping to graft out results since 2008 and it's been successful once: Qualifying for and playing in Euro 2016. And, entirely incidentally, I'm sure, that was the campaign in which we played the least amount of hoofball.

And no, I haven't forgotten about Euro 2012. I don't count it as a success cos we were incredibly lucky to draw an absolutely piss weak Estonia side in the playoffs (and people talked about Slovakia & Northern Ireland being the best chance we ever had in a playoff?) and then embarrassed ourselves once we got there, being the worst team by a margin.

We bring in more alehouse managers like Allardyce (who probably won't take it anyway) or Pearson then we can look forward to one major finals where we look like a football team every 12 years. I want to us to try something different, and I'm not writing it off after 1 competitive game and 4 glorified friendlies.

If that makes me a "Kenny apologist", then so be it.

I think he is being given a proper chance. I haven’t heard any scathing criticism as yet. A bit on here and elsewhere on line but that doesn’t really count. He has two games left in this and needs to find way to win games. Wales away and then Bulgaria at home. He has to beat Bulgaria it’s as simple as that. You can’t keep going not winning games.

Edit; By the way this “glorified friendlies” chat is a cop out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

The nonsense about that list of managers is laughable...news flash..The FAI are broke?, in the Red...practically bankrupt... no gate receipts for the foreseeable future...
    And besides Kenny has us playing football on the deck and it's good to watch, we've had dinosaurs managers for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Corholio wrote: »
    I think some fail to understand that it's not whether Kenny, or any particular manager, will be successful or not, it's about completely and utterly writing them off because of an already set agenda from the start. Kenny may not end up doing well as Ireland manager in the long run, all possibilities should be open when having an opinion, but writing him off because of 'I said it from the start' nonsense is peak 2020 short-termism, football discussion.

A manager with so called 'experience' would never, ever be written off after 5 games (well it was actually before any games were played to be honest) Selectionism at it's finest.

Yes well said. It nearly feels like the battle of two ideologies more than anything else (or else some people simply have it against Kenny because they don't like the LOI). It's already getting annoying reading some of the crap that is posted.

Positives:
    - playing better football, big improvement on last month even.
    - creating chances from open play.
    - young players being given a chance - Molumby, Idah, O'Shea and Knight given their debuts so far.
    - improved performances - Stevens, Doherty, Hendrick, Hourihane have all looked better under Kenny (although latter two still need to improve).

Negatives:
    - results. Getting a bit of a free pass right now, but won't wash for long if he doesn't start getting results in March.
    - inability to score a goal. Major concern right now and don't see where it will come from.
    - giving away soft goals. Last month and tonight, each goal we conceded was very basic. Overall we haven't looked too bad defensively though.

I think we will get better. Easy to be negative after this week but if Randolph didn't misplace that pass and Hourihane sticks the chance on Thursday the mood would be total opposite. I'm not going to get t too bogged down about the results yet, but he will need to start getting results. He should not be immune from criticism but some of the clear agendas are silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

RoryMac wrote: »
    I think the style of play thing is way too over hyped on here, yes we're passing the ball a bit more but it's not like this is a massive upheaval for the players, they do this every week at their clubs.

A bigger issue is the quality available to us especially in midfield, we have nobody that creates chances or can dictate the pace of the game. We're completely toothless. We badly need one of the young players to step up and fill this gap.

A good few of the players look like they're just going through the motions and would prefer not to be there. This is the part Kenny needs to work hard to change. He needs to judge the players on attitude as much as talent, there's plenty of this group we wouldn't miss if they never played again for us.

I'm hoping he can turn things around but he needs a win fast

Agree with this. Midfield is a problem area for us now in two ways, one is Hendrick as the attacking midfielder, he quite simply isn't good enough on the ball to play that role. I've seen Daniel McDonnell say that he's playing there more for his role in pressing the defense rather than his on the ball skills. Problem with that view is that the way we play actively involves the attacking midfielder on the ball, we also don't press aggressively enough I feel for that to work. It doesn't help then when a lot of our moves breakdown due to Hendrick not been skilful enough on the ball.

The other midfield problem is our lack of a holding midfielder. Our defense was ran at too often tonight without our midfield stopping them. If you watched Dundalk's performances under Kenny he had Chris Shields and to a lessor extent Richie Towell breaking up moves (and players in Shields case :D) but they were also skilful enough to set the tempo for the team by spreading the play quickly and in Towell's case been an excellent box-to box midfielder in been able to run with the ball at defenders and timing his runs to perfection when the cutback came in (He scored 25 goals as a midfielder in 2015). I'm hopeful that Molumphy can become the box-to-box midfielder but the Shields type holding midfielder is an issue as while McCarthy can pass the ball he isn't great at breaking the play up and stopping the runs from the midfield.

Onto the match tonight, disappointing result. Bad error from Randolph for the goal. The pass he tried to play was never on. Doherty also could share some of the blame as his reactions to the pass was poor but he really should never have been put in that position by Randolph. Doherty was poor overall tonight and really Coleman should be right back once his fitness is up to scratch. Unlucky not to score tonight and the Finnish keeper's save in injury time was top class. Connolly will be a quality player for us but he needs to look up more. He had two great pullback opportunities in the second half but instead took on shots from a narrow angle that were easy enough for the keeper and defenders to block. Brady is really struggling at the moment for us and I'm not sure why Kenny brought him on so early in the 2nd half. He really should be dropped from the squad next time unless his club performances improve. Horgan had a much better performance than him tonight.

Also had to be said that the Finnish team is strong enough. 10 clean sheets in their last 12 home games before tonight and some of their players look very useful. Thought Kamera in midfield was excellent for them tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Really disappointing performance. I don't know how anyone can take positives out of it. 0/6 points against Finland, a team whose best player is Teemu Pukki is just not good enough. If we are not going to beat a third tier team like Finland, what hope do we have against first and second tier sides?

In terms of the players themselves, I think we really missed McCarthy. From all the games we've played under Kenny, he's been our best midfielder, he has such a calming influence on the game and we look at lot tighter at the back when he plays. Defensively we look decent enough. Duffy did no wrong and Doherty probably had his best game for us under Kenny. Central midfield we were ok. Hendrick seems to come in for dogs abuse, but at least he is always trying to move the ball forward, Hourihane and Molumby seemed to be a lot less willing to take chances, which I think we need from the midfield. The front three were really poor. Maguire and Horgan just do not look good enough, Connolly in turn suffered as the quality around him was so poor he couldn't be effective. In hindsight, Long and Idah should have started ahead of Maguire and Horgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

They aren’t random names. They are managers currently available, I was asked who could take over, I provided a few names who could take over.
    It's crazy to be talking about other managers at this stage.

Kenny has just been appointed manager and will certainly get the full World Cup campaign. While these initial results are very concerning, it won't do anyone any good to be speculating on the manager. We just have to hope that Kenny is learning lessons and that we can finish strongly against Bulgaria and Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Covid took their players out, not me. Bulgaria are well below us. As are Slovakia without their 3 best players. You’d swear we’d being playing Spain, France and Germany. They won’t let us have toothless possession, they’ll press us and we’ll be absolutely destroyed.

Took irish players out too.

Surely you can see the style of play is infinitely better than the last decade? Of course results are needed, and thatll be the determining factor in anything, but it's not like theres no chances being created. On another day Stevens attempt dips under the bar and duffy buries his header (or randolph just doesnt kick it to a finish player). It isnt aimless stuff being attempted. Of course it isnt perfect, but the negativity is outrageous

Yep. Coleman was a big loss for these games. Doherty has been so disappointing. He had a great chance to get a shot at goal and seemed to throw his leg at it. He’s supposed to be a senior figure in this set up, he’s been woeful for Ireland in general throughout his time in the green shirt.

Molumby looks to have a bit about him, could have a decent future. Brady would drive you nuts. Was surprised when he came on. I thought Idah or Long should have come on ahead of Brady. Idah came on later.

Took irish players out too.

Surely you can see the style of play is infinitely better than the last decade? Of course results are needed, and thatll be the determining factor in anything, but it's not like theres no chances being created. On another day Stevens attempt dips under the bar and duffy buries his header (or randolph just doesnt kick it to a finish player). It isnt aimless stuff being attempted. Of course it isnt perfect, but the negativity is outrageous

It’s better in terms of style than the latter stages of MON, most of Traps time (though not all of it) and better than Mick’s second spell. Seems to be a collective amnesia on the decent football with good results leading up to and including Euro 16 on here.

Regardless, Stephen Kenny needs results as well. The promising football will evaporate if we can’t win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

That's 5 games under Kenny against poor opposition.

Only one goal scored and no wins from 5.

Well Finland, Wales & Bulgaria are in the current tier of the nation's league on merit, we are there because of a restructuring... Slovakia and use are much of a muchness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well Finland, Wales & Bulgaria are in the current tier of the nation's league on merit, we are there because of a restructuring... Slovakia and use are much of a muchness

I'd hazard a guess that were we to have been in League C atm and winning games and scoring goals we'd be written off as having only beaten dreck.

There's always an excuse around when there's an axe being ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

RoryMac wrote: »
    I think the style of play thing is way too over hyped on here, yes we're passing the ball a bit more but it's not like this is a massive upheaval for the players, they do this every week at their clubs.

A bigger issue is the quality available to us especially in midfield, we have nobody that creates chances or can dictate the pace of the game. We're completely toothless. We badly need one of the young players to step up and fill this gap.

A good few of the players look like they're just going through the motions and would prefer not to be there. This is the part Kenny needs to work hard to change. He needs to judge the players on attitude as much as talent, there's plenty of this group we wouldn't miss if they never played again for us.

I'm hoping he can turn things around but he needs a win fast

None of the usual suspects that have started for Ireland in the past two or three years play like the creative midfielder that the team needs. They are being picked for being workhorses at "higher level" clubs, not for what the team needs. They can pass it around five yards, but not get on the ball, take it and try a throughball or pass. No vision. And strikers famous for scoring no goals.

The positive for Kenny was that when he brought on a balance of newer players - Knight, Idah, Connolly, Curtis etc. that they looked brighter. He needs to be brave and pick fresh players who are suited to creating chances for the forwards they have.

Forget about panicking about not being relegated. What's the worst that could happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I answered the question asked. Howe would be an improvement. Allardyce. Wagner. Pearson. Pulis would probably have us grinding our results, not great to watch but effective.

But as I said, there are plenty of decent managers out there. It’s for the FAI to pick one. Kenny is not one. Not too hard to improve on 2 draws, 3 losses against the dregs of international football.

I think you are the epitome of an online cliché. Does it get boring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think you are the epitome of an online cliché. Does it get boring?

Jaysus! Are ya well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

dfx- wrote: »
    None of the usual suspects that have started for Ireland in the past two or three years play like the creative midfielder that the team needs. They are being picked for being workhorses at "higher level" clubs, not for what the team needs. They can pass it around five yards, but not get on the ball, take it and try a throughball or pass. No vision. And strikers famous for scoring no goals.

The positive for Kenny was that when he brought on a balance of newer players - Knight, Idah, Connolly, Curtis etc. that they looked brighter. He needs to be brave and pick fresh players who are suited to creating chances for the forwards they have.

Forget about panicking about not being relegated. What's the worst that could happen..

You nailed it there. Probably the one disappointing thing Kenny has done so far for me is the picking of some players based on reputation rather than ability/suitability for what he is trying to achieve. It's like trying to fit square pegs in round holes in some cases.

For some reason I was expecting him to be more ballsy and dropping some of the 'names' that aren't suited to his style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Oat23 wrote: »
    You nailed it there. Probably the one disappointing thing Kenny has done so far for me is the picking of some players based on reputation rather than ability/suitability for what he is trying to achieve. It's like trying to fit square pegs in round holes in some cases.

For some reason I was expecting him to be more ballsy and dropping some of the 'names' that aren't suited to his style.

I'm also frustrated to see Hendrick and Brady still being regularly picked given they've done nothing for us for a number of years now. I do think there is an element of Kenny not wanting to get on the wrong side of the senior players, at least until he's got his feet under the table and a few wins on the board.

Jeff Hendrick as a number 10 just isn't an option that we should be persisting with. If he wants him in the team, drop him deeper beside McCarthy and play someone as a number 10 that can actually get on the ball and create. And that someone should not be 2020 Robbie Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jeff Hendrick as a number 10 just isn't an option that we should be persisting with. If he wants him in the team, drop him deeper beside McCarthy and play someone as a number 10 that can actually get on the ball and create. And that someone should not be 2020 Robbie Brady.

Who's the number 10 that's going to get on the ball, create and unlock the defence?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Who's the number 10 that's going to get on the ball, create and unlock the defence?

Jack Byrne sure :pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Didzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ireland are eminently more watchable the past few matches from my perspective. Sure the aim of the game is to get goals. If that's the main criticism then the blame is to be laid on the players that choked when presented with decent chances. Hourihane, Hendrick, Long, Connolly all missed good chances in the past couple of games.

I remember stealing wins like McGeady's late double in Georgia when we've been played off the park for the majority of the game. Sure we won, but even then I was left with the feeling that we stole a win. This happened plenty of times in the last decade against so called weaker opposition. Georgia, Armenia, Moldova etc. Games we didn't control but we were lucky to take advantage of the chances that fell our way.

Disappointed with the result. People that live for the result alone, I can understand their frustration. It's a simple game, and it doesn't matter how the team plays, as wins are the brass tax as far as they're concerned. Personally, I'm encouraged with what I've seen with "Kennyball" so far. Feeling a bit robbed by the result is a nicer feeling to me than feeling like we stole a win.

I don't like winning at all costs. Some do, which is fair enough. All opinions respected.

Ireland are eminently more watchable the past few matches from my perspective. Sure the aim of the game is to get goals. If that's the main criticism then the blame is to be laid on the players that choked when presented with decent chances. Hourihane, Hendrick, Long, Connolly all missed good chances in the past couple of games.

I remember stealing wins like McGeady's late double in Georgia when we've been played off the park for the majority of the game. Sure we won, but even then I was left with the feeling that we stole a win. This happened plenty of times in the last decade against so called weaker opposition. Georgia, Armenia, Moldova etc. Games we didn't control but we were lucky to take advantage of the chances that fell our way.

Disappointed with the result. People that live for the result alone, I can understand their frustration. It's a simple game, and it doesn't matter how the team plays, as wins are the brass tax as far as they're concerned. Personally, I'm encouraged with what I've seen with "Kennyball" so far. Feeling a bit robbed by the result is a nicer feeling to me than feeling like we stole a win.

I don't like winning at all costs. Some do, which is fair enough.
    All opinions respected.

WTAF?? You prefer losing to winning?? Perhaps we shouldn't keep score at all and everyone can get a nice medal for taking part??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

WTAF?? You prefer losing to winning?? Perhaps we shouldn't keep score at all and everyone can get a nice medal for taking part??

ah give over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'm also frustrated to see Hendrick and Brady still being regularly picked given they've done nothing for us for a number of years now. I do think there is an element of Kenny not wanting to get on the wrong side of the senior players, at least until he's got his feet under the table and a few wins on the board.

Still think McGoldrick can be our number 10 and should look to play him there with Connolly possibly playing ahead of him.

Something like this, but could always push Browne up higher, have someone else partner McCarthy (needs to play in a double pivot, is not good enough to anchor midfield by himself) and move Connolly out wide left with McGoldrick back up front:

..................Randolph

Doherty - Duffy - Egan - Stevens

............Browne - McCarthy

Robinson - McGoldrick - O'Dowda

...................Connolly

Unfortunately for us the only match McGoldrick was fit to start was Slovakia and the only other striker available was Long. Parrott I think is another that can play that ten role so hopefully he can get back fit and play some games before the next internationals and see how he fares at senior level. Another possible option is to try O'Dowda in there, MON played him centrally when playing 352.

That's what i said. In certain circumstances it's more enjoyable as a spectacle and still lose. Glad you can respect my opinion too ;)

That's what i said. In certain circumstances it's more enjoyable as a spectacle and still lose. Glad you can respect my opinion too ;)

Cool idea. We can all get a go of the World Cup and Euros trophies too. Everyone is World Champion and Euros Champion for 2 weeks. Yay!! If he calender fell just right, we could be double winners in our 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

Cool idea. We can all get a go of the World Cup and Euros trophies too. Everyone is World Champion and Euros Champion for 2 weeks. Yay!! If he calender fell just right, we could be double winners in our 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

so your plan to win the World Cup is Sam Allardyce?

• Advertisement

If that works for you. You'll be happy we won then i suppose :)

lawred2 wrote: »
    so your plan to win the World Cup is Sam Allardyce?

No, but we'd likely qualify for a few things under him. We wouldn't be losing home and away to Finland, thats for sure.

No, but we'd likely qualify for a few things under him. We wouldn't be losing home and away to Finland, thats for sure.

He's a busted flush. A complete yesterday's man. Did you mess his spell at Everton?

It doesn't do your case any good to be arguing for Allardyce in my mind.

Listen the results aren't good... but Kenny has not really been given a fair crack of the whip yet. He's hardly had any training ground time and a number of his games have been badly affected by player withdrawals.

O Neill had a full year of meaningless games when he started in the Irish job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Allardyce has a 100% win rate in international management ;)

also managed to beat Slovakia

/Sarcasm

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I doubt we could afford Allardyce tbh.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

McCarthy failed to won in his first 7 games in his first stint. With a higher standard of player we have now. We are now moving in the right direction. As a season ticket holder and an away regular, I'm very happy with how the team are playing. Some of the dross over the past few years has been painful - Gib away, Georgia twice, Aarhus, Copenhagen. Give Kenny time, he should've been given the job after O'Neill anyway. The goals will come.

McCarthy failed to won in his first 7 games in his first stint. With a higher standard of player we have now. We are now moving in the right direction. As a season ticket holder and an away regular, I'm very happy with how the team are playing. Some of the dross over the past few years has been painful - Gib away, Georgia twice, Aarhus, Copenhagen. Give Kenny time, he should've been given the job after O'Neill anyway. The goals will come.

As I said in the ROI thread.

Stupid comparison.

HUGE gulf in the teams Mick played against vs who Kenny has faced.

Kenny: Finland x2 , Bulgaria, Slovakia, Wales.

Mick: Russia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Croatia, Holland, USA, Mexico.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I doubt we could afford Allardyce tbh.

That's just it, Kenny is the cheap option and with the financial problems in the fai they'll be looking to hold onto him for as long as possible.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

lawred2 wrote: »
    He's a busted flush. A complete yesterday's man. Did you mess his spell at Everton?

It doesn't do your case any good to be arguing for Allardyce in my mind.

Listen the results aren't good... but Kenny has not really been given a fair crack of the whip yet. He's hardly had any training ground time and a number of his games have been badly affected by player withdrawals.

O Neill had a full year of meaningless games when he started in the Irish job.

Maybe we should get the Italian lad at Dundalk?

He's already got double the European wins Kenny managed on his European "run" that seems to be the reason he got the Irish job. And this season's Dundalk is a lot weaker than the 2016 version.

That's just it, Kenny is the cheap option and with the financial problems in the fai they'll be looking to hold onto him for as long as possible.

With a semi-decent manager we wouldn't have thrown €9m+ away in Slovakia. That'd go some way towards a managers wages.

• Advertisement

With a semi-decent manager we wouldn't have thrown €9m+ away in Slovakia. That'd go some way towards a managers wages.

If Kenny was the cheap option, he would've got the job 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think Kenny is going to get the World Cup Qualifying campaign so long as he isn't hammered in Cardiff and then find a way to lose to Bulgaria at home. Which should be achievable.

But if he keeps going like this through the first few games of the campaign then the FAI will be figuring out a replacement one way or another. Some people are in a bizarro world on this topic imo.

As I said in the ROI thread.

Stupid comparison.

HUGE gulf in the teams Mick played against vs who Kenny has faced.

Kenny: Finland x2 , Bulgaria, Slovakia, Wales.

Mick: Russia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Croatia, Holland, USA, Mexico.

And football ha moved on - teams are much stronger, fitter, technically better, better organised, see NI or Iceland or Wales for example, than then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

€9m wasn't thrown away in Slovakia! It was thrown away in the previous NL and qualifying campaigns.

And football ha moved on - teams are much stronger, fitter, technically better, better organised, see NI or Iceland or Wales for example, than then.

Absolutely laughable.

adaminho wrote: »
    €9m wasn't thrown away in Slovakia! It was thrown away in the previous NL and qualifying campaigns.

By finishing where expected? 3rd seed finished 3rd. A goal off automatic qualifying. We'd have beaten Slovakia under Mick. €9m thrown away on Delaney's last vanity project. One more kick in the balls from Champagne John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think the team seemed more competitive and capable of a result in the four games against Switzerland and Denmark in the last campaign than they have under Kenny thus far. And the Swiss and the Danes are far stiffer opposition than the Finns. Take the style and how you feel out of it, that's just the reality of the matter.

The competitiveness of the team under Kenny needs to move in the right direction over time. That again, is just the facts of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

But if he keeps going like this through the first few games of the campaign then the FAI will be figuring out a replacement one way or another. Some people are in a bizarro world on this topic imo.

I think that would be reasonable of the FAI.
    Being one of the 13 qualifiers (or 16 from 2026) for a WC is always going to be a difficult 'bonus' for us in a 4 year cycle, but qualifying for a 24 team Euros should be our bread and butter.
    So he has to show he's capable of putting the team into second place or a 'very close but just missing out' third place in the WC group.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think the team seemed more competitive and capable of a result in the four games against Switzerland and Denmark in the last campaign than they have under Kenny thus far. And the Swiss and the Danes are far stiffer opposition than the Finns. Take the style and how you feel out of it, that's just the reality of the matter.

The competitiveness of the team under Kenny needs to move in the right direction over time. That again, is just the facts of it.

And I think the team seemed more competitive and capable of a result in these last few games. I feel like they're moving in the right direction now under Kenny and that again, is just the facts of it.

• Advertisement

sterz wrote: »
    And I think the team seemed more competitive and capable of a result in these last few games. I feel like they're moving in the right direction now under Kenny and that again, is just the facts of it.

Let's hope so, things can only get better after the start he's had.

This talk of long term plans or this being a 5 year plan, that simply won't wash.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement