Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Virginia Creeper

Options
  • 14-10-2020 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to remove this from in between end of 2 gardens between concrete sheds. It’s not possible to get into the space to get at the vines so can only access from above. It keeps coming into both sheds and becoming annoying trying to keep it under control. Weed killer spray only kills the leaves and it keeps growing back.

Need some suggestions on how I might tackle this with no access at ground level? Caustic soda?

The neighbourhood has given his blessing for me to tackle it however best they want rid also.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

You'll have most success if you wait til it starts actively growing in spring. Use glyphosphate (round-up), but you'll need to be able to get it on at least 50% of the leaves to have any success, but it isn't guaranteed. Although you can't access the base, I'd try cut the thickest pieces you can access, and immediately paint on concentrate round-up using a paint brush, getting it behind the bark too. The closer you can get the the ground the better chance of this working. But it'll only work when it's actively growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

You'll have most success if you wait til it starts actively growing in spring. Use glyphosphate (round-up), but you'll need to be able to get it on at least 50% of the leaves to have any success, but it isn't guaranteed. Although you can't access the base, I'd try cut the thickest pieces you can access, and immediately paint on concentrate round-up using a paint brush, getting it behind the bark too. The closer you can get the the ground the better chance of this working. But it'll only work when it's actively growing.

All of the above is good advice.

Only other suggestion would be to get the round up onto the soil at the centre growing trunk of the plant. for accuracy you could use a length of garden hose , attach a funnel / tun dish to one end and position the other end at the base of the plant , then pour the Round Up into the tun dish and let it drain down and soak into the soil. Apply on at least 2 occasions at 1 weeks interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Thank you for the good advice here. Would it have any sort of impact if I picked up some roundup placed into a container and then used long handled paintbrush to paint the vines as much as I can with this? The roundup I normally get is in a spray bottle in around €10-€15 - not sure if I’d need to get something stronger? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

You really need to get the concentrate round-up, for treating where you cut the branches. It works out much cheaper, especially if you already have the sprayer. Read the instructions, but you'll be mixing between 30 & 50 parts water to 1 part roundup depending on the purpose, so a small bottle goes a long way.
    Another chemical I've had success with is SBK Brushwood killer. Similar to what I said above, brush it neat onto cut branches, but I've only used it on stumps (willow).

There's a roundup gel that you can buy that would work well the way you've described with the paintbrush as it'll stick to the leaves.

But none of these will work until there's growth in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Try taking one of the branches inside cutting into it and putting the cut end into a dilute solution of Glyphosate so its constantly drinking the stuff. Make the dilution week say 10ml in a liter so as not to burn the live tissue.

Don't waste money on Roundup Gel, any Glyphosate weedkiller and wallpaper paste is much much cheaper and just as effective. I tend to do a strong 1 in 10 mix for that (Glyphosate/Water and paste mix).

Use one of the professional 360 grams per liter Glyphosate products and not the DIYers overpriced prediluted products.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement