Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelic games in relation to Covid.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm an extremely passionate GAA fan but I know it has no place at the moment given there's very loose measures in place regarding players welfare.

I'll still watch the games if they go ahead as I did last weekend but outside of that I still have grave concerns underneath it all for how this could impact the players, their families and wider society.

yeah get ya

like everyone really the players/management have too take personal responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah get ya

like everyone really the players/management have too take personal responsibility

The GAA authorities have to take the lead though

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

What are you talking about NPHET have recommended it goes ahead?

Their communication with NPHET has been terse and a bit of a disaster with the GAA calling on the States acting chief medial officer to produce the “empirical evidence” that supported the NPHET RECOMMENDATION THAT THE ASSOCIATION CURTAIL ITS MATCH DAYS and this government just caved in and allowed the Gaa to carried on regardless of them endangering the health of their players and close contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

terenc wrote:
    Their communication with NPHET has been terse and a bit of a disaster with the GAA calling on the States acting chief medial officer to produce the “empirical evidence†that supported the NPHET RECOMMENDATION THAT THE ASSOCIATION CURTAIL ITS MATCH DAYS and this government just caved in and allowed the Gaa to carried on regardless of them endangering the health of their players and close contacts.

Yawn. Horses**t. You've no evidence the government "caved" to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

johnire wrote: »
    A Sligo hurler has tested positive for Covid. He was involved in a match against Leitrim last Sunday and was part of the squad which is due to travel to Derry this Sunday.
    Now the whole squad has to be tested and I'd imagine the Leitrim team will have to be as well.
    That potentially has a huge knock on effect on who else has been infected by this one player.

This is where questions have to be asked.

Was he tested on Sunday before coming into contact with the rest of his side and management and his opposition?

If not, that is totally unacceptable.

The GAA would want to think very carefully about how they act because the players could easily just walk away en masse.

• Advertisement

Offaly gone now too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Professional organisations like FAI are able to get on top of testing and keeping people in pods

Amateur organisations like gaa, thought they could do what they want and it backfired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Professional organisations like FAI are able to get on top of testing and keeping people in pods

Amateur organisations like gaa, thought they could do what they want and it backfired

Did you find these alleged fans at the Monaghan Kerry game yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

Offaly gone now too.

If anything this whole episode has just reinforced the growing divide in GAA between the superpowers in hurling and football and everyone else. As long as Dublin, Tipp, Kilkenny etc are ok there isn’t an issue as far as HQ is concerned. Not to mention what provision is made for Camogie and Ladies football? Any mention of fast track testing there? Apologies if I’ve missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just do now what will eventually happen and cancel the championships. The season will be a mockery and the end winner tainted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭limerickabroad

Yes, the FAI are a shining example of good practice when it comes to Covid. They would never, for example, screw up the seating on a flight before a key game, endangering players by having them share a flight with non-essential staff, because they are too cheap to pay for a second flight . . . if only the GAA could get their act together and be more like the FAI

scrubs33 wrote: »
    If anything this whole episode has just reinforced the growing divide in GAA between the superpowers in hurling and football and everyone else. As long as Dublin, Tipp, Kilkenny etc are ok there isn’t an issue as far as HQ is concerned. Not to mention what provision is made for Camogie and Ladies football? Any mention of fast track testing there? Apologies if I’ve missed it.

There should be no fast tracking anywhere for sport really, but doing it for the ladies games would be really scraping the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, disagree with the decision if you want but you can't seriously tell me you don't see the government's/NPHET's thought process in allowing the All Ireland championships to happen?

This is why debates become polarised. Lots of people have no interest in understanding the opposing argument. They just demonise the opposing view as being illogical/stupid/motivated by some hidden agenda and think that completely validates their argument.

So I'll state again - I can't stand GAA sports. However, I can 100% see why they are allowed to go ahead. I can see the argument to say they shouldn't but, on balance, I think the government have made the right call here for the morale of GAA supporters around the country.

JFC. Why should I be locked down and fined if I leave 5km or go see my own family when some other people can go play with sticks and kick a ball around :confused::eek:

by the way, no one cares if you like GAA sports or not - it's not relevant at all

I'll state again... some people have freedoms that other people do not. You're either with the people or against them. There can be more people at a single match than at a funeral or a wedding :)

timeToLive wrote: »
    JFC. Why should I be locked down and fined if I leave 5km or go see my own family when some other people can go play with sticks and kick a ball around :confused::eek:

by the way, no one cares if you like GAA sports or not - it's not relevant at all

I'll state again... some people have freedoms that other people do not. You're either with the people or against them. There can be more people at a single match than at a funeral or a wedding :)

But “mental health”, boost to the country, etc.

Translation: **** your dead. There’s 15 million euro to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just do now what will eventually happen and cancel the championships. The season will be a mockery and the end winner tainted.

Football has been tainted since 2015 when Dublin bought their way to the top with almost 20 times more funding per head of population than their nearest rivals plus payments to players and bribes to referees. There is absolutely no shame in the GAA and the whole thing is one giant cesspit.

theguzman wrote: »
    Football has been tainted since 2015 when Dublin bought their way to the top with almost 20 times more funding per head of population than their nearest rivals plus payments to players and bribes to referees. There is absolutely no shame in the GAA and the whole thing is one giant cesspit.

Lots of other threads (piles of them in fact) for that load of paranoid small-time bollocks. This isn’t that.

Lots of other threads (piles of them in fact) for that load of paranoid small-time bollocks. This isn’t that.

I was actually replying to another user and if I had wanted your opinion I would have asked for it.

I was actually replying to another user and if I had wanted your opinion I would have asked for it.

It’s an open message board, not a text messaging service so if you only want direct messages and replies then PM them.

None of which removes the fact that you’re talking rubbish in the wrong thread. This is about the championship and covid, not the small time attitude to losing all the time.

It’s a message board, not a text messaging service. None of which removes the fact that you’re talking ****e in the wrong thread.

That is not for you to decide, you are not a moderator here.

That is not for you to decide, you are not a moderator here.

I’ve said nothing wrong. You’re not aware of how forums work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Gentlemen, can we got back to bashing the GAA?

timeToLive wrote: »
    Gentlemen, can we got back to bashing the GAA?

Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Just wondering why the emphasis (by the media) on the GAA in terms of sporting fixtures during this pandemic?

Every other news bulletin now informs us as to whether or not a GAA match will take place or not, but what about all other sporting fixtures?

What about Rugby? What about Hockey? Football? Gymnastics, outdoor running events, Athletics events, Swimming galas, Cycling, etc etc, etc.

Why the concentration on the GAA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Just wondering why the emphasis (by the media) on the GAA in terms of sporting fixtures during this pandemic?

Every other news bulletin now informs us as to whether or not a GAA match will take place or not, but what about all other sporting fixtures?

What about Rugby? What about Hockey? Football? Gymnastics, outdoor running events, Athletics events, Swimming galas, Cycling, etc etc, etc.

Rugby and Football are both been played at Elite Levels. Pretty sure Hockey Ireland themselves had already cancelled the games, can't have an indoor swimming event in level 5.

The GAA were told Senior Champ only and upto last week they thought they could get away with playing all inter County even U 17 last week. They were rightly called out and on and had to cancel them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Probably because the League is just ending, and the Championship is about to start. And a lot of the population are interested in the GAA sports rather than hockey. There was a good bit of coverage leading up to today's Ireland rugby match against Italy. And when does Gymnastics ever make the sports news?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭circadian

Local camogie, hurling and St Kevin's boys football all out training in full squads. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Rugby and Football are both been played at Elite Levels. Pretty sure Hockey Ireland themselves had already cancelled the games, can't have an indoor swimming event in level 5.

The GAA were told Senior Champ only and upto last week they thought they could get away with playing all inter County even U 17 last week. They were rightly called out and on and had to cancel them

No they weren't. They asked a question, were told these shouldn't go ahead, then called them off.

For someone who says they have no axe to grind against the GAA you come out with an awful lot of bull**** about them, EG the nonexistent fans on top other at the Monaghan Kerry match last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

It's unbelievable that this organisation are still allowed to operate when they still have no testing of any description except for a player identifying themselves as being unwell and then the whole team may be kicked out of the championship. What player is going to do that?
    GAA
    “The details will be finalised after the weekend as the identification of a suitable testing system and service provider is ongoing”

This plan was put into action when they knew they could not possibly test all the players and still can't,two fingers up at the National public Health Emergency Team and not forgetting this Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭circadian

circadian wrote: »
    Football;

County|Date|LEA|14 day rate per 100k
    Meath|4th October|Ratoath|375.2
    Cavan|3rd October|Ballyjamesduff|651.1
    Galway|4th October|Conamara South|112.5
    Tipperary|27th September|Clonmel|45.2
    Kildare|4th October|Athy|128.1
    Dublin|17th September|Dún Laoghaire|103.3
    Hurling;
    Clare|27th September|Shannon|365.2
    Cork|4th October|Cork City South-East|231.4
    Galway|4th October|Gort|97.9
    Kilkenny|27th September|Callan|114.4
    Limerick|20th September|Limerick City North|227.6
    Tipperary|20th September|Roscrea|120.5
    Waterford|30th August|Waterford City East|56.6
    Wexford|23 August|Wexford|20.6

Finally an update on the website for 14 day incidence.

Football;

Meath|4th October|Ratoath|1212.6
    Cavan|3rd October|Ballyjamesduff|1488.3
    Galway|4th October|Conamara South|538.9
    Tipperary|27th September|Clonmel|111.1
    Kildare|4th October|Athy|124.3
    Dublin|17th September|Dún Laoghaire|88.9
    Hurling;
    Clare|27th September|Shannon|421.1
    Cork|4th October|Cork City South-East|427.7
    Galway|4th October|Gort|208.5
    Kilkenny|27th September|Callan|201.1
    Limerick|20th September|Limerick City North|256.4
    Tipperary|20th September|Roscrea|247.1
    Waterford|30th August|Waterford City East|95.7
    Wexford|23 August|Wexford|58.4

So, most of these increases would in line with what you expect with the national numbers increasing in general. However, the increase in Ratoath which is where the main reports of the club members having parties, is massive. It may not be the main cause of the increase but you cannot deny that their behaviour has contributed significantly to the outbreak in that area. The numbers for Ballyjamesduff are huge too, I'm not sure if there's a health facility there causing this spike or if it is indeed a result of celebrations too.

Advertisement