Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Advice with Eir

• 14-10-2020 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Was hoping someone could give me some network advice.
    Here is my current setup on Eir Gigabit

chsZIo.jpg

The wifi from the eir is absolute cat. Sometimes it locks to 0.05 meg download. I would have to reboot to get back to 10 meg speeds on the 2.4g.
    Wifi from the netgear router is pretty ok, 500+ meg on the 5G and 50 meg on the 2.4 g. The only real issues i have is that the hardwired connection drop from 900+ meg down to like sub 10 meg. Rebooting the Eir router seems to fix this or oddly sometimes disconnecting the netgear router from the eir one and plugging my main pc directly to the eir router for 1 man (giving full speed) then back to the Netgear router seems to bring back the full speed.
    I was thinking of getting rid of the Eir router altogether and replacing it with another netgear R7800 thinking that these would communicate a bit better but i need to keep the Eir router for the TV and Phone.
    Anyone come across this situation before and were able to come up with a solution?

IFor the wifi issues i was thinking of just getting some Eeros but looks like these are not compatible with eir internet. so i might get some Orbi rby 13's instead. Is this the wrong path to go down to better the wifi?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you NEED eir VOIP?

If you can drop that then you can use ALL your own gear and have a far better time of things. If you're paying for gigabit then you may as well have a top tier network between you and your bandwidth. And run a cable, using a wireless bridge on a gig service is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

I COULD get rid of the Voip, but i have gotten used to having a landline back in the house. Would not be a complete loss to get rid of it.
    This is what i was thinking of doing but again, probably the wrong way to go about it.
    h8tiEH.jpg

Adding the Orbis would just be to extend the wifi, i wouldn't replace my whole network with them. All my cable runs are cat5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you need AP mode not repeater mode then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

I think Phone wouldn't work with Eir F2000 in Bridge mode.
    Very messy setup either way.
    I would get rid of Er F2000, R7800,
    Keep just Orbi ( or similar ) and few Ethernet switches.

Advertisement