Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnolia

Options
  • 14-10-2020 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭

I have a mature magnolia tree in my new (to me) garden. It flowered profusely then produced strange long pink knobbly pods, I had never seen magnolia seed pods before so I was a bit mystified. Now the pods are splitting and showing large seeds/berries about the size of a smallish cherry, in brilliant red/orange.

I cannot find any reference to these pods in UK or Ireland, but according to US sites they are pretty easy to grow plants from. Are they common in Ireland? Has anyone grown them here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Here's a UK blog about growing them that details how to prepare the seed (3 months in the fridge to mimic winter).
    https://www.teabreakgardener.co.uk/growing-magnolia-from-seed/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Certainly not the common in Ireland but I've seen a few I think its slightly species dependent and iirc its Magnolia Seboldii that I have seen most often in seed here. That said any mature Magnolia can produce seeds in a good season.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not a Seboldii, I think it is the one called a Saucer Magnolia or Tulip tree (not liriodendron). Its remarkably difficult to get specific names for some of the Magnolias. It does look, from my research as though I have ideal conditions for magnolias - free draining, fertile, light, slightly acidic soil, so I think there will be some more magnolias in my future!

looksee wrote: »
    Its not a Seboldii, I think it is the one called a Saucer Magnolia or Tulip tree (not liriodendron). Its remarkably difficult to get specific names for some of the Magnolias. It does look, from my research as though I have ideal conditions for magnolias - free draining, fertile, light, slightly acidic soil, so I think there will be some more magnolias in my future!

Does it have a flower that hangs down slightly or is on the side of the branch as opposed to say Soulangiana that is very upright?

Post a picture of the flower when you have a chance as I've a good few books on Magnolias.

No, it sits up, somewhat like a tulip but more pointy. It is the one I tend to think of as the 'basic' magnolia, the most common one.

I will try and sort a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I've seen the seed pods on some of the Magnolia trees at Fota arboretum before. There were a good number of trees had them when I saw them there so I was guessing the more mature trees are better at producing them.

Soulangiana in its various forms and stellata would be the commonest ones to start off looking up. Unless its evergreen when its more than likely to be Grandiflora. A couple of others I've often seen for sale are Susan and liliflora nigra. So unless its a rare one there aren't too many to look up. You suggestion that is a bit more pointy suggests liliflora to me for some reason.

macraignil wrote: »
    I've seen the seed pods on some of the Magnolia trees at Fota arboretum before. There were a good number of trees had them when I saw them there so I was guessing the more mature trees are better at producing them.

Yep, liberated a good few seeds from there one year but lost them all in a move so thats a :o and a :mad:

BbcN8IJ.jpg

the magnolia I am talking about.

Good old Magnolia soulangeana. One that makes a far sized tree. Used to have a lot of them but never had any seed. Its actually a hybrid (should be written Magnolia x soulangeana) and there are a fair few varieties of it. That one is what I'd call the normal one.

• Advertisement

Thank you! Yes its the one I would consider the 'normal' one - apart from Stellata - its the only one I was aware of. Looking at the pic it is not really all that pointy! There are loads of seeds if you are interested, pm me. The seed pots are very entertaining, many about 8 inches long and exotic looking!

Advertisement