If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for c50” tv

Options
  • 14-10-2020 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi

I’ve been looking for a 50” and it seems to me if you don’t want to pay €€€ for oled Samsung are the leaders? However I notice they do their own HDR not Dolby vision. It’s putting me off. It seems a pity to buy a fancy tv and then not get the benefit of hdr on most of what you watch.

Also our tv sits in a corner and I notice the viewing angles for Samsung are not great.

Overall would I be better off with an LG nanocell? (Been looking at Samsung qled 80t and LG 49NANO816NA)

We stream mainly, with some movies, sport and gaming. Budget up to c1000. Won’t buy again for 10y so trying to future proof the purchase.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

ellee wrote: »
    Hi

I’ve been looking for a 50” and it seems to me if you don’t want to pay €€€ for oled Samsung are the leaders? However I notice they do their own HDR not Dolby vision. It’s putting me off. It seems a pity to buy a fancy tv and then not get the benefit of hdr on most of what you watch.

Also our tv sits in a corner and I notice the viewing angles for Samsung are not great.

Overall would I be better off with an LG nanocell? (Been looking at Samsung qled 80t and LG 49NANO816NA)

We stream mainly, with some movies, sport and gaming. Budget up to c1000. Won’t buy again for 10y so trying to future proof the purchase.

Thank you!

I have a high end Nanocell and the backlight bleed of those things when watching HDR like Dolby Vision makes things unwatchable. I'd never ever recommend a Nanocell to anyone as they're terrible technology. It's the reason I'm buying an OLED tv this year even though I only have my Nanocell a few months. Sony do better LCD TVs than LG but it's better to go for a low end Samsung Qled than an LG Nanocell as Dolby Vision is unwatchable on them. Sony Bravia is a great range with Dolby Vision support and better control of backlight bleed at a lower price than OLED.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi

We stream mainly, with some movies, sport and gaming.  Budget up to c1000. Won’t buy again for 10y so trying to future proof the purchase.

Thank you!
    Thanks for the post ellee (and for the feedback Loughrey)

The Samsung QLEDs would be the next best thing to the OLEDs especially for brightness and contrast however as you say it doesn't have Dolby Vision which is one of the main formats for apps like Netflix and Disney Plus. They'll still display HDR but the settings will not optimize for Dolby Vision.

I have a Q80T on display and while it doesn't look as good as the OLEDs, it does give one of the best pictures in the LED range! The Nanocells are also very good! I haven't had many people coming back with the issue of Backlight bleed but I would probably recommend the 9 series over the 8 series as it uses a Direct Lit panel as opposed to an Edge light. The Direct lit panel has more dimming zones and a better colour and contrast so it wouldn't look as washed out as the 8 series! You can only get the 9 series in a 55" panel size though so I think you'd be better with the QE49Q80T!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Thank you! Good to get the feedback on the nanocells, my folks have one and I thought it looked good?! We really have no room for a 55", we'd have to reconfigure the whole room...

How big a concern is it really not to have dolby vision? Signs are the HDR10+ is not getting traction I'm just concerned I'll have forked out for obsolete tech and in 5y everything will be DV. The 80T does get great reviews however from general public and experts alike. It's literally the main thing making me hesitate.

Speaking of sonys, (thanks @loughrey) I've also just come across a Sony X950H (49") similar price point but better viewing angle and dolby vision. What do you think of that tv? 

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thank you! Good to get the feedback on the nanocells, my folks have one and I thought it looked good?! We really have no room for a 55", we'd have to reconfigure the whole room...

How big a concern is it really not to have dolby vision? Signs are the HDR10+ is not getting traction I'm just concerned I'll have forked out for obsolete tech and in 5y everything will be DV. The 80T does get great reviews however from general public and experts alike. It's literally the main thing making me hesitate.

Speaking of sonys, (thanks @loughrey) I've also just come across a Sony X950H (49") similar price point but better viewing angle and dolby vision. What do you think of that tv? 
    Hi ellee,

Thanks for getting back to me!

The Sonys are fantastic as well! They are great for motion processing and also support Dolby Vision. As I say Dolby Vision content will still play but not in the Optimised settings. I have an LG OLED myself and the Dolby Vision content does look fantastic though! The Sonys also have the benefit of Android as an operating system so it's also a great TV to go for!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.