Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart + (Coolmine LC closure issues)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Seve OB wrote: »
    Do you know what, I was just around at the station waiting on trains to pass and again on my return journey.
    I find it very hard to believe that they explored that option properly.

There is loads of room there to build a bridge. I can’t see more than a couple of properties on the coolmine side which would be affected. The canal bridge wouldn’t have to be touched. Active bridge could very easily be built as I said above over the station platforms and come down along the canal.

Did you review the report appendix that goes into detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Local TD Paul Donnelly says Iarnrod Éireann have told him that the bridge at Coolmine will not proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So that's the gates down now most of the day causing traffic havoc. Delighted to hear that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So that's the gates down now most of the day causing traffic havoc. Delighted to hear that.

Based on some of the posters here, they'd be happy if the LC was closed and all cross track access removed. It's a result for the pro ghettoisation TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The level crossing is going to be closed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Who decides these things? IR or DCC or An Bord P or local TDs?

Who decides these things? IR or DCC or An Bord P or local TDs?

Iarnrod Eireann make an application to ABP who issue the Railway Order.

I wouldn't want local TDs within 100 miles of making decisions like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭I told ya

By that do you mean the road will be closed to traffic permanently?

The IE communication states the preferred solution is now;
    1. The permanent closure of Coolmine level crossing.
    2. Provision of a pedestrian & cyclist bridge at Coolmine Station, linking Coolmine Road to Carpenterstown Road.
    3. As an alternative to the provision of a new vehicular bridge, the existing road network will be upgraded, and vehicular traffic re-routed to utilise the existing railway crossing points at Diswellstown Viaduct and Castleknock Bridge.

Traffic modelling and road junction analysis has informed the selection of the preferred option. The upgraded road junctions, including change from roundabouts to signalised junctions, are proposed to accommodate the increase in traffic. The junction upgrade solutions proposed are considered adequate to accommodate diverted traffic volumes associated with the closure of Coolmine level crossing. The assessment have considered current year traffic volumes and also future traffic volumes up to 2043 when zoned lands have been developed.

Some of the residents in the immediate vicinity will be annoyed about the closure of the crossing. It wouldn't be my first choice but if it means the new bridge doesn't get built, then I'll take it.

And if the traffic on Dr Troy bridge goes up, maybe it will dissaude more people from driving which ultimately has to be the end goal anyway.

Even better.

• Advertisement

The IE communication states the preferred solution is now;

So everybody wins. Traffic ends up being more horrendous in the area thus encouraging more sustainable mobility options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

This is actually great news. This must save the project a considerable few € million. IE/NTA must be licking their lips with this proposal getting the backing of TDs and locals. I'd say this outcome was merely a pipe dream when drawing up the original plans and best of all the local residents and politicians bare the brunt of any dismay while IE and NTA literally pass the buck.

Hopefully now this money can be repurposed and put into funding Kilcock or Kylmore. There's probably enough to cover both with some left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I expect a campaign for a bridge at Coolime to begin the day after the level crossing closes. "What maniac thought closing it without providing a bridge wouldn't lead to traffic chaos Joe"?

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I expect a campaign for a bridge at Coolime to begin the day after the level crossing closes. "What maniac thought closing it without providing a bridge wouldn't lead to traffic chaos Joe"?

Ridiculous Joe, we got no warning about this at all.

So everybody wins. Traffic ends up being more horrendous in the area thus encouraging more sustainable mobility options.

I wouldn't say everybody wins...

But the volume of traffic that goes over the bridge is not massive. If they reconfigure the junctions at either end of the Dr Troy bridge properly then it will work.

Followed closely by claims that they didn't consult us at all, and the same local politician realising he can get more votes by starting a build a bridge campaign.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'd say this saves around €15m. DART+ West will cost the best part of €1bn so I don't think this will make that much difference.

They're probably delighted anyway. It looks like they'll manage to close the level crossing without building an expensive road bridge all the while making the residents think it was their idea.

Peregrine wrote: »
    I'd say this saves around €15m. DART+ West will cost the best part of €1bn so I don't think this will make that much difference.

They're probably delighted anyway. It looks like they'll manage to close the level crossing without building an expensive road bridge all the while making the residents think it was their idea.

It will be interesting to see how the residents react, as this was not their preference, but they may see it as the least bad compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Good news. Now use the money to part fund kylemore kilmainham and cabra stations

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I cant say I'm surprised this is the outcome, I am disappointed that there isn't the ambition to do a Dutch style underpass for pedestrians and cyclists, but with the canal as well I can see how it would be an expensive job. Bridge isn't as good for reducing severance though.

• Advertisement

Any word on the LC at Porterstown? I assume that will close as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I told ya wrote: »
    Any word on the LC at Porterstown? I assume that will close as well.

As will clonsilla, we will have to build bmx style ramps to cross the canal

Phil.x wrote: »

Westmanstown LC as well and presumably the LC at Intel.

Definitely going to be a new bridge somewhere between Westmanstown and Coolmine. If not two.

Phil.x wrote: »

Who could have foreseen that building right up to the railway line from Riverwood to Laurel Lodge would cause issues down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,221 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Absolutely 100%, this will happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i believe the bridge planned between station court road and riverwood court has been abandoned - local opposition/budget/...?
    i had thought that had always been planned, they seemed to have made the PP for the housing estates there take that into account, going back decades?

i believe the bridge planned between station court road and riverwood court has been abandoned - local opposition/budget/...?
    i had thought that had always been planned, they seemed to have made the PP for the housing estates there take that into account, going back decades?

No, this was suggested here during the original consultation period but it wasn't true. It was never in the long term plans for the area.

Basically, IE said "grand, we won't build the bridge but we're still closing the crossing, ye can take the long way round..."

It was local opposition but IE will gladly take the budget savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It was local opposition but IE will gladly take the budget savings.
    Note that while it still needs to convince funders to fund projects, Irish Rail do not directly benefit from budget savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Victor wrote: »
    Note that while it still needs to convince funders to fund projects, Irish Rail do not directly benefit from budget savings.

No but if some other aspect of the project ends up costing more than anticipated this bridge not being built would help with staying in budget surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

No but if some other aspect of the project ends up costing more than anticipated this bridge not being built would help with staying in budget surely?
    It will probably help with the business case by both reducing the cost and slightly increasing benefits by making car travel a tiny bit more unattractive

Advertisement