Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash rent- landlord not fixing shower as a priority

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

Dav010 wrote: »
    And the op will then be in arrears.

And the LL can have them removed before getting stuck with them long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

How is op asking for trouble when paying the rent as requested by the LL?

Proof of payment of rent
    Very few if any tenants pay in cash nowadays
    Every solicitor and the RTB will tell you to pay by DD
    The fact that the accommodation is in a garage with garage doors makes me suspicious that the property has not got PP to be living accommodation
    I know this because years ago I extended my own garage to an L shape to put a gym ,hot tub, and teenage hang out into it
    DCC made me decrease the size and put a stipulation in the PP that it could never be living accommodation ,even though I had a shower ,toilet and hand basin in it
    As you well know it is practically impossible to get living accommodation separate from the main residence

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

brisan wrote: »
    Proof of payment of rent
    The fact that the accommodation is in a garage with garage doors makes me suspicious that the property has not got PP to be living accommodation
    I know this because years ago I extended my own garage to an L shape to put a gym ,hot tub, and teenage hang out into it
    DCC made me decrease the size and put a stipulation in the PP that it could never be living accommodation ,even though I had a shower ,toilet and hand basin in it
    As you well know it is practically impossible to get living accommodation separate from the main residence

Aha that is very interesting information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Proof of payment of rent

Okay, just to be clear. The op will not get in any trouble for paying rent in cash, despite what any solicitor or the RTB say. Cash is legal tender, the LL is required to give a rent book, if he hasn’t given one, op just buy one in a stationary shop, they cost about €5, ask the LL to sign it each time you pay rent.

I do agree with you about PP though.

Hey all, looking for some advice on potential leverage here.

Moved in to this place 6 weeks ago as the place I was renting burned down (electrical fire).

The whole thing was extremely stressful, so I was grateful to find my current place at short notice and nearby where I was living already.

It has always been my intention to be here short term, as the other half and I are looking to move in together (we just didn't feel it was right to rush in to it after the fire). We gave ourselves a maximum of 6 months.

I've had nothing but trouble since moving in here. First, I had to ask for the mattress to get replaced as the dip in it made it completely unsuitable to sleep on. It took the landlord 2 weeks to get replaced, I slept on the couch after week 1, but in fairness he did do it and the new mattress is spot on. I'm struggling with residual back pain though, and am forking out 50 quid a week to see a physio to regain mobility. Beside the point, but context as to my annoyance.

Last week (Friday)) the electric shower broke. I did some googling, checked some things and came to the conclusion the solenoid pump isn't doing it's job. Im no expert though so I didnt go near it after that, and called the landlord to let him know what happened. He came with an electrician 6 hours later who came to the same conclusion. Ll promised to called it in as its still under warranty and I would get a call to arrange a technician to come and fix it.

Monday morning 8am, I was barely out of bed, ll shows up again, this time with a plumber. Plumber does, once again, conclude the solenoid pump needs replacing. He says it's a two second job and I will get a call later today to arrange a time to do it. Sounds perfect.

Monday goes by, Tuesday goes by. Nothing. I text the ll first (to have proof) to say I've heard nothing. He rings to say its been "called in" and they'll be over in the morning. Wednesday goes by, still nothing so I text the landlord again saying I have nowhere else to shower, no bath so its now urgent and needs to be fixed before the weekend.

So this morning I get a call from some place in Dublin that looks after warranties and the lady confirms to me that the fault was called in only this morning. The shower broke last Friday. She can't promise they'll get someone out before the weekend. Grand it's not her fault.

I rang the ll to say I was shocked to find out he lied. He said he trusted the plumber to call it in. I said that he, as the ll, is responsible here. If he can't do the thing, then don't be a landlord. Apologies and all other bs. I am now "a difficult tenant" because I want to wash myself.

So. I want to be compensated for the lack of shower. Today is day 7 and its looking like it'll be at least another 3 days before its fixed. I find that completely unacceptable, knowing the gyms showers are closed and I can't visit anyone as of midnight tonight.

The tenancy is not registered. There is no contract and I pay rent in cash. I have a receipt for my deposit and first month's rent but thats it.

What risk do I take by deducting 10 euro per day without a shower from the rent? What leg does he have to stand on if I decide to put 50 instead of 800 in tl the envelope come rent day?

Soap, water, sink. Not ideal but it'll get you out of a hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I just want to live in peace and not be smelly, really.

Thanks everyone for your input. Fingers crossed all goes to plan tomorrow

The water from the tap in the sink will definitely help with this. I know we all love a hot shower, and it should obviously be fixed, but people managed to wash themselves long before electric showers were here.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Is there any chance you are hoping to move in with your other half a bit quicker and are using these inconveniences to justify it ?

Is there any chance you are hoping to move in with your other half a bit quicker and are using these inconveniences to justify it ?

No.

Okay, just to be clear. The op will not get in any trouble for paying rent in cash, despite what any solicitor or the RTB say. Cash is legal tender, the LL is required to give a rent book, if he hasn’t given one, op just buy one in a stationary shop, they cost about €5, ask the LL to sign it each time you pay rent.

I do agree with you about PP though.
    Not saying the tenant will get into trouble for paying cash but it is his best interests to pay by DD
    Proof rent has been paid
    Plus I reckon if propeerty is not registered and paid in cash I doubt revenue know about it
    Post going to main house ?
    why not a postbox for 20 euro with 21A or whatever on it
    Every landlord is required by law to provide a rent book
    How many do
    I used to but when tenants are paying by DD and both they and you have proof of payment they become redundant
    Very few landlords now provide rent books for this very reason

Thanks for the advice on rent books.

There isn't one. I paid first rent plus deposit and have a receipt for that total amount, but do not have proof I paid rent on Oct 1st.

Ill get a rent book and ask LL to sign retroactively

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    The water from the tap in the sink will definitely help with this. I know we all love a hot shower, and it should obviously be fixed, but people managed to wash themselves long before electric showers were here.

Haha yes obviously - but it's not the same. Hot showers were helping manage back issues so I definitely miss that aspect.

For the record; I have indeed washed myself at the sink

Thanks for the advice on rent books.

There isn't one. I paid first rent plus deposit and have a receipt for that total amount, but do not have proof I paid rent on Oct 1st.

Ill get a rent book and ask LL to sign retroactively
    Ask for his bank details to pay by DD and see what he says ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Where's the lie from the landlord. Op is very presumptuous.

Many tenants would love a landlord like this. He replied immediately, got electrician AND plumber immediately.

Very very possibly called the supplier of the shower and the supplier then called the warranty service - did the op think of that?

If anything, that is more probable.

As for taking a "shower", do as hundreds of thousands did before we all got fussy and wash in the sink.

Quicker and just as clean and certainly suitable for a few days.

A plastic cup for throwing water over the head and a face cloth for an all over cloth wash.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Where's the lie from the landlord. Op is very presumptuous.

Many tenants would love a landlord like this. He replied immediately, got electrician AND plumber immediately.

Very very possibly called the supplier of the shower and the supplier then called the warranty service - did the op think of that?

If anything, that is more probable.

As for taking a "shower", do as hundreds of thousands did before we all got fussy and wash in the sink.

Quicker and just as clean and certainly suitable for a few days.

A plastic cup for throwing water over the head and a face cloth for an all over cloth wash.

LL admitted he didn't make the call when he said he did.

I know many tenants would feel lucky with a landlord that promptly fulfils their obligations (or tries to somewhat). And yes, he's one of the better ones in my personal experience so far. It's sad though, that we should be thrilled about the bare minimum, let alone expect and accept it.

Ask for his bank details to pay by DD and see what he says ?

Brisan, where are you going with this? You seem to be suggesting that the tax affairs of the LL are of some interest to the op.

Brisan, where are you going with this? You seem to be suggesting that the tax affairs of the LL are of some interest to the op.

Might sharpen the LL interest to get the problem sorted
    A shower can be fixed in a day
    If its just the issue the plumber identified its a quick and cheap enough fix
    No need to wait for a warranty repair

Might sharpen the LL interest to get the problem sorted
    A shower can be fixed in a day
    If its just the issue the plumber identified its a quick and cheap enough fix
    No need to wait for a warranty repair

I really don’t see the connection.

Of course there is a need to wait for the the warranty repair, it will be free if covered by warranty. Otherwise the LL has to pay the cost of the part and the plumber.

I really don’t see the connection.

Of course there is a need to wait for the the warranty repair, it will be free if covered by warranty. Otherwise the LL has to pay the cost of the part and the plumber.

He already had a sparks and a plumber out ,that cost him
    He could have and should have told the plumber to get the part and fix it
    For all the extra it would have cost it would have been well worth it
    Plus he can claim his expenses back against the tax he pays on the rental income for the property :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The OP has said the shower will be fixed tomorrow and is getting a rent deduction. All good, timing not great but at least it's being sorted and the LL has acknowledged the issues.

Plus he can claim his expenses back against the tax he pays on the rental income for the property :D

Cheeky :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This all sounds like one of the better normal Average landlords tbh.

.I don't think there's anything really wrong throughout

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

He already had a sparks and a plumber out ,that cost him
    He could have and should have told the plumber to get the part and fix it
    For all the extra it would have cost it would have been well worth it

It could have been the same plumber and electrician that originally fitted the unit and wired it up.
    Between them they worked out who was at fault, if any.

Both determined it was a warranty issue, so back to the supplier. No cost.

Now here we are with the unit to be fixed within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jlm29 wrote: »

Due to circumstances beyond my control I have not had access to either a bath or a shower for over four years now and I assure you I am clean and fragrant!

It takes longer and needs more.... agility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

To be honest I think the OP is been somewhat over the top

A simple thing like getting a mattress is not that easy with virus, it’s not like the LL will know it’s an issue till it’s reported and then stock levels are low, shops don’t want to deliver etc. The LL got it and that’s the main point

The shower, he had something up straight away. Not sure why you are complaining he came up with someone to fix it on a Monday? I guess it’s triton and I have had issues before and they are hardly jumping out the door to fix. Again taking the word of a receptionist who doesn’t want a ear bashing to accuse a LL is been over the top

Have you asked for rent book? Buying one and shoving in face is wrong

You didn’t want to move into the property and now it sounds like you just want to be rude to the LL because of your situation, some manners might help OP. Based on posts so far I doubt you will try that approach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

No bath, just shower, sink and toilet.

What is the brand of the shower unit? Electric shower I presume?
    Is it serviced by a pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Why didn't they ring about the warranty when they said they were going to. Landlords always get defended strongly on this board but picking up the phone to make a call isn't hard and you'd be damn sure they would do it when they said if it was their own shower broken.

Did he not ! Warranty work isn't done at the drop of a hat. Takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

Why didn't they ring about the warranty when they said they were going to. Landlords always get defended strongly on this board but picking up the phone to make a call isn't hard and you'd be damn sure they would do it when they said if it was their own shower broken.

I guess you have never tried to get a warranty repair done on a device?

Advertisement