Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Estuary, tiday path off Hutchinsons Strand - road bike accessible?

Options
  • 15-10-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm wondering if this 'tidal path' at the end of Hutchinsons Strand on the Swords estuary is manageable on a road bike?

Was just mapping a route and thought I might be able to take it but don't know the area.

Want to do a coastal spin from Dunlaoghaire to Skerries

Thanks!

529392.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It very much depends on the state of the tide and that is very hard to work out as there are no published figures for Broadmeadows. Low water is probably at least a couple of hours after LW Dublin as the water in the estuary is held back by the weir under the railway bridge near Malahide.
    If you are lucky and the water level is low enough, there is a very potholed roadway covered in slimey seaweed that you can cycle on. If not, you can walk (or cycle if you're feeling adventurous) along a narrow grassy path that runs inside a high stone wall beside the water. At the right turn on your map, you drop down on to a concrete foundation that projects out about 60cm from another wall. On this section you will be walking or carrying your bike but it's relatively short.
    I think I have a few photos from a club spin that I'll post in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can do the first bit of the that section, no matter the tide. When it takes the right turn though, you need to be careful.
    I've done it when there's been water on that right section, but shítting it about something making me having to put a foot down, and then getting wet feet for the rest of the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The first bit is doable (to the first road to Donabate - Ballymadrough) but it can be very slippery especially if the tide hasn't been out long. If the tide is in, it's still doable but involves walking along a narrow wall (and hoping you don't meet someone coming the opposite way (not always visible in advance) as one person will have to go back to the start).

The second part to the Kilcrea exit has to be walked as it is just loose stones. It is not doable at all unless the tide is out a good bit (unless you are willing to wade through water).

I did both bits yesterday (in the opposite direction) on the way home from work.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4194748898

9w9jFcF.jpg
    The first bit after the sea level had dropped a bit.

gK4tfNb.jpg
    Looking back into the corner probably near high tide.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

9w9jFcF.jpg
    The first bit after the sea level had dropped a bit.

gK4tfNb.jpg
    Looking back into the corner probably near high tide.
    The water goes all the way up to near the top of the wall.

I ride up at the wall. There's an admittedly narrow path that's always doable on the bike, even if you think you can't. It's easier now that the vegetation is dying back. You can cycle the whole lot.
    It's funny looking at people do it for the first time :D

Here's a Strava segment for some of it.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12158058

(That KOM is very suspect. He averaged 24km/h on his whole ride yet managed to average 26.9km/h on the most technical section where most people have to partly walk).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I can't swim so wasn't sure if it was deep the one time I went that direction.

Tricky walk in cleats and I started cycling and didn't account for the gravel beach

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Ah that's great folks, thanks for all the input. Sure I'll check it out in the morning and see the lay of the land (or the tide rather!). I've an alternative route mapped out if it's not doable at the time. I think the tide might be in on my way back. Should make for an interestng little stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I live near it. If the tide is in, you can push/cycle the bike along the path which is visible on the top of the wall in the photo below. It's only about 300m.

If the tide is out it's usually fine, but sometimes there's a slippy, slimy seaweed there that can catch you out. It depends on pollution in the area but 9/10 it's fine.

Well worth a spin out.
    9w9jFcF.jpg

• Advertisement

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Want to do a coastal spin from Dunlaoghaire to Skerries

Assuming you want to stay on the coast as much as possible, after heading up Hearse Road you can turn down to Corballis from the new Donabate bypass and see the top of the outer estuary and then head round to Portrane from Donabate beach. The northern end of this coastal path was closed off recently for repair works but, if it's still closed, there is a rough stone path just inside the wall of the hospital. If Sunday is fine, there could be a good few pedestrians along there and not much room to pass.

Enjoy your spin.

Had to walk it today, tide was right in. Thankfully wearing spd shoes today and not the keos

... and then head round to Portrane from Donabate beach. The northern end of this coastal path was closed off recently for repair works....
    It's open again but fairly rough to cycle on (fresh stones which haven't bedded in yet).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Weepsie wrote: »
    Had to walk it today, tide was right in. Thankfully wearing spd shoes today and not the keos

Get up on the path on top of the wall and spin across! You're over before you know it.

eeeee wrote: »
    Get up on the path on top of the wall and spin across! You're over before you know it.

Thought about it, but twas a bit mucky and I've already managed to go into the royal canal on a dry morning so...was happy to walk it. Only takes a moment

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Did the spin on Sunday. Sure enough on the way over the tide was coming in and so I didn't get to use the 'road' at all but went accross on the trail at the top of the wall. On the way back the road at the start was totally submerged but could cycle through without issue. Things got interesting then when I took a wrong turn and followed my back-up route out right back to the start of the estuary path way again! So I got to do it 3 times! Interesting and novel little segment. The estuary was looking very scenic too.

That cycle path through Baldoyle is class. More of that please. Don't think I'd go to Skerries along the roads I took again, far too busy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was on the baldoyle-portmarnock cycle path too for the first time at the weekend. class, but how it integrates back on to the road at either end is a bit of an afterthought.

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    That cycle path through Baldoyle is class. More of that please. Don't think I'd go to Skerries along the roads I took again, far too busy.

Exact same experience as me heading towards skerries. Awful road.

On the baldoyle cycle path. A driver stopped to let me go the other day while I was waiting for the light (perhaps knew they'd be stuck in traffic up ahead anyway). Other drivers got beepy!

Advertisement