Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Bikes - Womens/Stepthrough

Options
  • 15-10-2020 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Well my heart stopped a beat when my 65 year old mother decided that before retirement she wanted to get a bike. My heart rate spiked and power jumped a ew watts as I ascended Innsbruck.

So she is asking me to do a bit of research on her behalf. She is looking for a ladies/stepthrough bike and I am heavily leaning towards an ebike for her.
    A few reasons for this, her age, she has has some knee problems, she hasnt been on a bike in decades, health wouldnt be the best (weight), and she only needs the bike for getting around village (raheny and environs - i may get her up howth head one day!!!!)

So I am looking to see if anyone has recently bought or had any use of a stepthrough/ladies e-bike? And if so what did you think of it? I would appreciate any info anyone has.

Budget isnt going to be great max 1.5K.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

My girlfriend has an electric Pendleton from Halfords and absolutely loves it. €1175 to, so nicely under budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Raleigh do a folding eBike for €1.5k

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, you could get one for under half the budget (though i've heard nothing about it, for good or ill):

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/electric-city-bike-elops-120e-en-s305582.html

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

https://www.greenaer.ie/

they do new and pre-owned e-bikes, lots of step throughs

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

thanks for the replies folks. Gwildor - i was having a look at that one, one wesbite had a review of it and under the reviews some owners of the bike were not impressed with the build quality or the battery life and charging of same.

magic - saw that bike too, thanks for the suggestion.

devonp - thanks for the suggestion will give them a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Looking for suggestions for an e-bike or e-bike shop who might help for my other half. A big birthday is approaching and she has hinted she would like one. Background as follows

Mature lady who did a lot of cycling in her youth
    Rural, hilly area so I'm thinking mountain bike type
    Budget circa €2k but will pay more for the right one if needs be
    Hopefully can be supplied by early March

Thanks in advance for any guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

Looking for suggestions for an e-bike or e-bike shop who might help for my other half. A big birthday is approaching and she has hinted she would like one. Background as follows

Mature lady who did a lot of cycling in her youth
    Rural, hilly area so I'm thinking mountain bike type
    Budget circa €2k but will pay more for the right one if needs be
    Hopefully can be supplied by early March

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Where are you located? Unless she is going off-road I'd suggest a commuter style bike with maybe 38c tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Rural Wexford, full of winding, filled pothole, roads. Once it is sturdy enough. What technical stuff should I be looking for such as voltage, range, power etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I was going through this with my mother who is about to upgrade her ebike. My cube eMTB has been great so I would go with something like this:

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=153406

Bigger battery model, same bike is cheaper with a 400wh. Lights (integrated), mudguards, rack and stand are all things I added to mine after the fact - better to just buy something with them fitted.

Advertisement