Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So difficult to find what I want! HP Spectre

• 16-10-2020 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

I want a HP Spectre with good specifications, i7, 1TB, 16GB RAM. Not overly bothered whether 13 or 15 inch, but would probably prefer 15. I haven't bought a laptop or device in a long time and it's only now I'm realising how limited the options in Ireland are!

From a bricks and mortar shop it seems to be limited to Currys and Harvey Norman. Neither have this model at the moment. Then the few I would know as reputable online retailers like Littlewoods (no) or even elara don't have it. Even the HP shop itself doesn't stock Spectre at all, which is beyond frustrating! I'm wary of buying from abroad (Amazon,) as I'm unsure if warranty is valid here? I'm not a techy person so really can't be dealing with any hassle if there's any issues. I did not expect this to be so difficult!

I'm now considering going for a lesser Spectre model from Currys. Or the one I want from Komplett second hand - but tbh does that seems like a huge risk for someone who doesn't have much of a notion? Alternatively I'm thinking of shelling out a fortune on a Surface Book as it's reassuring that Microsoft sell direct, but at the same time, it's not actually what I want. Or Elara have so many HP Elite Dragonfly options but it's actually overwhelming to go through the technical details there and ensure I'm getting something I can use.

Does anyone have any advice? What would be my best bet from the above options? Am I missing any obvious retail options? Thanks.

Comments

amazon.co.uk are a safe bet to buy from imo. their customer service is very good and Ireland is fully supported.

yes the options for buying in Ireland directly are not full of choice

you could also look at other models of laptops- Asus Zenbooks, Dell xps

the Honor (huawei) magicbook pro is a premium laptop with i7 -beating cpu (AMD cpus currently are very good and powerful) , 16gb ram, metal build. It's quite powerful and very good value.

https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-magicbook-pro?fromCountry=GLOBAL

but you would probably have to post back to a service centre in the UK in the case of an issue

however I would say that with modern laptops you're unlikely to have an issue really.

review

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/honor-magicbook-pro-2020-16-inch-laptop#:~:text=On%20the%20whole%20though%2C%20the,rounded%20and%20polished%20computing%20experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thanks. I really need a 2-in-1 laptop with full Windows functionality seamlessly combined with being able to write with stylus like a tablet, so the Magicbook doesn't look like a runner for me. I have an ipad which I'm happy with, and had a HP Pavilion which I was happy with except for recent wifi issue after 6 years with no problems, but I need combined functions to be able to fully control Microsoft Teams while also writing with stylus. This is for my business meetings and also for some online Maths teaching I do.

I have sworn off Dell for life. I don't see what I need in Asus or Lenovo available either, but the Yoga and Thinkpad from Lenovo do look good.

I buy lots of stuff from Amazon but would be concerned about getting something so pricey from a seller. There's just one seller for the Spectre that will ship to Ireland and reviews are mixed, with lots of people needing replacements, so that put me off. It's quite expensive too, more than it was before it sold out in Curry's.

I find the options overwhelming tbh, and then frustrating to have such limited availability when you finally decide what you want.

Would you advise against something from Komplett?

Never had an issue with komplett or Amazon

Yoga have a pretty good name and would seem to meet yr need pretty well alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭cromelex

Could you buy direct from HP and use something like Parcelmotel to receive it?

I've done that before.

You might also want to look into the new Envy with the AMD 4500 (6 core) or 4700 (8 core) in 13.3 (the 15 has a terrible screen in Europe).

cromelex wrote: »
    Could you buy direct from HP and use something like Parcelmotel to receive it?

I've done that before.

You might also want to look into the new Envy with the AMD 4500 (6 core) or 4700 (8 core) in 13.3 (the 15 has a terrible screen in Europe).

you can if they don't stop it being sent to the redirect address

do note that if you do have an issue in that case you may have to post it back to the juristiction where you bought it from at your own cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Both HP and Amazon have huge offices in Ireland. Wouldn't worry.

Also, Elitebook 8xx, no spectre nonsense.

Acer Spin 5 and Yoga C930 could be worth looking at

Also if you can get over your Dell phobia the 7000 range of laptop 2-in-1's (13 and 15) have good specs, premium build and probably will get a 15% discount around Black Friday

striking a brand off for life is a bit non-sensical really

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-13-2-in-1/spd/inspiron-13-7306-2-in-1-laptop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ED E wrote: »
    Both HP and Amazon have huge offices in Ireland. Wouldn't worry.

Also, Elitebook 8xx, no spectre nonsense.

HP left quite some time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thanks for all your advice and comments.

At the moment I'm leaning towards Surface Book 3 or HP Elite Dragonfly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HP left quite some time ago.

Well, HPE are still here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ED E wrote: »
    Well, HPE are still here.

Completely different companies, they just do services and whats left of them here are focused on financial services.

worth taking a look at this new option

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/acer-spin-5-2020-review/

Advertisement