Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque I lodged bounced - what's next?

Options
  • 16-10-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

I lodged a cheque the other week and a couple of days later UNPAID 9 was showing on my account, with a outflow for the same amount as the cheque that had been lodged. 

I queried this with Twitter Support and they said it's likely a bounced cheque. 

What happens next? Does this cheque get returned to me? If so, how long will it take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭Allinall

You need to contact the person who gave you the cheque.

It's either the case that there was not enough money in their account to cover the cheque, or they cancelled it.

The cheque won't get returned to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Allinall wrote: »

It's either the case that there was not enough money in their account to cover the cheque, or they cancelled it.

Hm, ok - that's a little awkward. It was a wedding gift from my wife's boss. One would think they would have the balance to cover the cheque they gave us. 

Is there any other reason the cheque may have been refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Allinall wrote: »

Hm, ok - that's a little awkward. It was a wedding gift from my wife's boss. One would think they would have the balance to cover the cheque they gave us. 

Loads of potential reasons.

https://www.elearnmarkets.com/blog/12-reasons-for-dishonour-of-cheque/ Best short list I could find. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kalimah

You will get the cheque back with an answer usually stamped across the top. Refer to drawer is no funds in the account. Unsigned or amounts differ is self explanatory. If it was a joint or company account it might require one or more signatures. They might have drawn the cheque on an account that was now closed or even from a cheque book that had been reported missing. No way to know until you get the cheque back

Kalimah wrote: »

You will get the cheque back with an answer usually stamped across the top. Refer to drawer is no funds in the account. Unsigned or amounts differ is self explanatory. If it was a joint or company account it might require one or more signatures. They might have drawn the cheque on an account that was now closed or even from a cheque book that had been reported missing. No way to know until you get the cheque back
    So does the cheque come back to me? Allinall says it wont? 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭Allinall

Kalimah wrote: »

So does the cheque come back to me? Allinall says it wont? 
    Apologies Pen Rua. I got that wrong.

As kalimah said, the cheque will come back to you and should have a reason as to why it was unpaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

I lodged a cheque the other week and a couple of days later UNPAID 9 was showing on my account, with a outflow for the same amount as the cheque that had been lodged. 

What happens next? Does this cheque get returned to me? If so, how long will it take?
    Hi Pen Rua,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. We're sorry to hear that this was returned unpaid. You can certainly find out more information on this by logging in on 365online.com and selecting "service desk" > "ask a question". One of our colleagues will be happy to look into this further for you.

Thanks,
    Richard

Hi Pen Rua,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. We're sorry to hear that this was returned unpaid. You can certainly find out more information on this by logging in on 365online.com and selecting "service desk" > "ask a question". One of our colleagues will be happy to look into this further for you.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Thanks, Richard - I've raised a query via 365.

Advertisement