Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good standard student laptop?

Options
  • 16-10-2020 1:40pm

I am starting a Masters in a university in January, in Scotland.

I currently have a chromebook so will need a new laptop that will be compatible with Microsoft Office etc.

I went to PC World yesterday for advice on the best make and model but I was told that due to Covid there is no browsing allowed. I told her what I am after but she said I need to come back with the specs.

I'm really not sure what I'm after, I just need a reliable laptop for college. My budget is around €300-€500.

Can anyone here suggest what laptops might be suitable?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

i would buy in January in Scotland
    prices will be better.amd is bringing out new cpus 5000 in November 5th also NVidia gpu video cards will be out.and more intel 11th gen cpus will be out by january.dell is going to have to put on sales as it's sales are dropping compared to Lenovo.apple and hp

if you buy now you will not get the best cpu laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Theonly way

First you need ssd = Solid state drive .
    By the sound of it you only need 64 gb unless you are going to use it for gaming but if its for study that is more than efficient .
    4 gb of ram ( ready available memory)

Lenovo about € 330 14 " laptop should suit you !

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

You may get some good deals around Black Friday online.

Here is something for around the 400 mark that will work for you

https://www.komplett.ie/asus-d509da-ej364t/20989638/product/9474

I don't know about waiting till January as demand will be higher coming to Christmas. The company we buy some stuff off told me to get in orders soon as possible if we want more as supplies from all makers are running low.

We bought three of these last week https://www.komplett.ie/outlet-lenovo-ideapad-l340-15api-81lw00humh/80057277/product which are a very good and well spec machine for 600, but they are out of stock now. I see that on the Komplett website that their stock seems to be getting less all the time. They are a good reliable company to buy from too.

To > Red sheds

Yes that looks good if not better than the one I recommended .

8gb of ram will cope with gaming also.

GOOD call !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

8gb of ram will cope with gaming also.
    RAM is irrelevant to gaming when the GPUs in these laptops are weak.

On topic: Either of those komplett laptops would be a solid choice for typical use.

• Advertisement

GPU stands for graphics processing unit. You'll also see GPUs commonly referred to as graphics cards or video cards. Every PC uses a GPU to render images, video and 2D or 3D animations for display. A GPU performs quick math calculations and frees up the CPU to do other things.

To > red sheds

Thanks for that ordered one for my friend as great spexs for the price.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I would wait until you are given the specs by college -
    There may even be student discounts available - Ireland students are being given a few hundred by the gov. to buy laptops.

Also - Chromebook can open ms word docs.. so what you have might actually be ok...

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/2481498?hl=en

But could be challenging for some other applications but Google has made sure there are equivalents.....

I would recommend though a monitor for college... I know its bulky but its so much nicer working on a big screen.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Two Basics after RAM and Storage:
    Touch screen (more convenient) or higher spec non-touch (better graphics). Our family has both, there's still no solid consensus.
    Separate number keypad. (are you a wordsmith or a STEM student?)

logo
    Levering Low Prices
    Levering Cheap shipping
    Levering Friendly customer service

Thanks for your purchase! Your order is as follows:

Stap 1

Your order is received and ready for processing
    step-image

Stap 2

You will receive an email with track/trace as soon as your order is shipped
    step-image

Stap 3

Your order will be quickly delivered at the delivery address
    step-image

• Advertisement

To> the OP

look that fits all your needs and furthermore is the best value for the high grade spec at that price .

Fair play to red sheds for putting it up as ordered one .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

4 gb of ram ( ready available memory)
    L

RAM stands for Random Access Memory, FYI!

Advertisement