Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Instant Curry

Options
  • 16-10-2020 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Don't judge me! I love a good indian and cook alot but sometimes (today) I just want something super quick. I have McDonalds curry and I've tried Erin and I don't like either. Neither of us like the chinese curry powders (just not chinese food people). Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The curry sauces with the spices in the lid from Aldi are decent enough, I like the jalfrezi one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The curry sauces with the spices in the lid from Aldi are decent enough, I like the jalfrezi one

Tried them too and wasn't mad about them. I'm fierce fussy it would appear.

Maybe buy a jar red or green curry paste and a can of coconut milk then. That would be a pretty quick curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yellow hen wrote: »
    Don't judge me! I love a good indian

need more clues/info, are you talking about -takeaways or in restaurants, what would you usually get, mild or hot etc?

If you want no effort then (non-paste) pataks might be the best bet, they are all on offer in tesco for just 1.50 right now, I am only just back and missed them!

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Search/?searchBox=patak%20sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

If you know anyone with a cash and card you will find good enough premixed powders Catering size in most. Now they are large and might do you a year or more but they have good BBD .. you will have to play around with mixing them for cooking as some don’t come out it’s instructions.
    It’s as near we got to authentic Indian restaurant flavours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

I find Mayflower curry sauce mix tasty enough. Bensons is another one thats decent

Macker1 wrote: »
    I find Mayflower curry sauce mix tasty enough. Bensons is another one thats decent

They said no Chinese though, if you like those try out Goldfish madras or goldfish hot & spicy. They taste more like chinese takeaways than the goldfish chinese curry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

harr wrote: »
    If you know anyone with a cash and card you will find good enough premixed powders Catering size in most. Now they are large and might do you a year or more but they have good BBD .. you will have to play around with mixing them for cooking as some don’t come out it’s instructions.
    It’s as near we got to authentic Indian restaurant flavours.

If you want that then the recipes in this thread are superb. Its a bit of work at first but you can make the curry base in large batches and freeze portions and from there it is easy to make any restaurant curry you want in less than 10 minutes.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056521427

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Aldi jars with dry spices on lid to mix into ingredients for quick stirfry then add the sauce in jar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Got an alright spice blend in supervalu, mighty spice. A decent chicken tikka masala, ten minutes according to the packet and just needs yoghurt, cream and butter. but I went my own way so it wasn't "instant" anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,999 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another vote for the Mayflower curry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

dmc17 wrote: »

These are my go to, but more so the spice blends. I use the rogan josh spice blend in the slow cooker for a lamb/beef jalfrezi - so tasty every time. I have also done a chicken madras and tikka that turned out lovely.
    The bombay potatoes is another "go to" for me.

The Mighty Spice blend I tried for the first time this weekend, and it was very easy and quick - we had the karahi one.

A friend recommended these Street Kitchen kits - said it only takes 20/30 mins to make the curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

cee_jay wrote: »
    These are my go to, but more so the spice blends. I use the rogan josh spice blend in the slow cooker for a lamb/beef jalfrezi - so tasty every time. I have also done a chicken madras and tikka that turned out lovely.
    The bombay potatoes is another "go to" for me.

The Mighty Spice blend I tried for the first time this weekend, and it was very easy and quick - we had the karahi one.

A friend recommended these Street Kitchen kits - said it only takes 20/30 mins to make the curry.

Same as that. I order the spice blends from the website once in a while too and you get them ground fresh. The smell off the fresh ground spices is unreal.

For somebody looking for instant curry, the jars are good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Mr Curry is my absolute favourite by far. I would make it using half milk/coconut milk & water for a creamier result.
    Going by ingredients it's basically a curry paste base.

zsBmf1dl.jpg

2fmozKyl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Another vote for the Mayflower curry sauce.

Mayflower curry is really nice ,you should try their southern style gravy too it goes great with chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

No 1 ingredient is wheatflour so that is out for me. I dont think wheat is used in classic Indian dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Sing Li curry paste. Best curry sauce in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I love the Mr Curry too, as I'm only making small amounts I just empty the pack into a screwtop jar and keep in the fridge, I add spoons of it then like you would a roux to whatever liquid I have added to the meat/veg to thicken it up. To me it's the closest to Chinese takeaway curry which I like the odd time :)

Garlinge wrote: »
    No 1 ingredient is wheatflour so that is out for me. I dont think wheat is used in classic Indian dishes?
    Wheat flour is not used in Indian ones. The label says authentic Chinese curry, it should really say Chinese takeaway curry, as that it is what it is trying to emulate.

The Chinese takeaways ones do use flour, they make roux based pastes which are then diluted and made into sauce. However that ingredient list does not look like the ones I have seen. I have looked at many UK Chinese takeaway recipes and none ever use tomato or potato, which is in the Mr Curry sauce and would be in Indian curries.

The UK takeaway curry pastes and powders I have tried do taste very like the Irish Chinese takeaway sauces I have tried. I have yet to try Mr. Curry so cannot say for sure, maybe it will taste like the Irish ones I am used to. People reckoned Bensons Irish curry powder was close to Chinese sauce, I used to think the same until I tried the UK ones. I would now say Bensons is more like Irish-Italian chipper curry sauce.

The Chinese curry entry on wiki makes no mention of it being a roux based sauce.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry#China
    I never saw curry in China and Chinese colleagues had never tasted it so it is definitely not "a thing".

For some reason some people get awful upset when they hear people talk of Chinese takeaway curry, making sure everybody knows it is not an authentic Chinese dish, but I never once heard anybody surprised at this! nobody thinks it is! so I don't know why they waste their breath. Nobody thinks Chairman Mao was horsing down spicebags with a side of curry sauce and chicken balls... A lot will tell people to get Indian curries instead, which is also odd, I know several people who do not like Indian curries but adore Chinese takeaway ones, they are a very different thing.

Japanese curries are roux based and ARE meant to be popular in Japan. One brand is S&B curry and tastes very close to the Chinese takeaway ones, you can get it in Asian supermarkets. So I reckon the Chinese takeaways are using similar recipes. The wiki page says it may have potatoes, which would be different from the Chinese takeaways. It
    also mentions carrots which are in some Chinese recipes but would not have visible chopped carrots in them. They would be blended in or just fried in the oil used to make the roux. In the UK peas seem to be popular in Chinese takeaway curry, I have only got it in a few places here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_curry
    Instant curry roux was first sold in powder form by House Foods in 1926, and in block form by S&B Foods in 1956. In 2007, Japanese domestic shipments of instant curry roux was 82.7 billion yen.[13] Market share for household use in 2007 was captured almost entirely by House Foods (59.0%), S&B Foods (25.8%) and Ezaki Glico (9.4%).

I wonder if the Indian curry police would be less upset if they heard people say "I love a good Japanese style curry from the local Chinese takeaway"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

dmc17 wrote: »

These are good, but..... Check out the sachets of "spice mixes" they do.

https://www.greensaffron.com/product-category/spice-sachets/

Over €2 for what is prob a few tsp of cumin, turmeric, corriander powder, garam masala and some chill or Cayenne pepper etc.

The profit margins on these must be astronomical. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Bisto chip shop curry sauce (instant, just at boiling water) myself and wife find lovely. Not too sweet or spicy, goes great with a lot of foods.

1 of my friends introduced me to it, and many of our circle of friends use it, mostly find in centra here, I tend to buy a few tubs when i find them or buy online. Rare occasions tesco do stock them.

Iceland has them also if you near Dublin.

McMurphy wrote: »
    The profit margins on these must be astronomical. :eek:
    +1, the ingredients are listed in order of greatest so you gave have a go at making your own, tesco list ingredients on most items.

The spices are listed, and the jars are 25% off at the moment.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=green%20saffron

The likes of those spice bag seasoning products be very expensive, many are mainly salt too.

Advertisement