Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP Link AC1200 blocking internet access

Options
  • 16-10-2020 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've had a few ac1200's on my network the last 4 years as wifi extenders. Also used it as a replacement for the powerline that came with an eir box which doesn't have wifi.

Has worked just fine since plugging it in. Latest addition was an Orbi RBR50 with one satellite to replace them. Only one still active is the ac1200 for the eir box.

So yesterday we had a couple of power outages due to a short with a new immersion being tested. Router, nas & Orbi seemed none the worse for it but only discovered late last night the ac1200 had no internet access. So tried the usual, powered down, reset & a different cable but no joy.

On top of this I noticed after powering the ac1200 back up, the router lost internet access. Got that back up after disconnecting the ac1200 but had to bring the Orbi back up one at a time and pair to get that back online as well. Happened twice, and each time it was after the ac1200 was powered up.

So question is, can it be fixed or is it for the bin?

Also if the latter curious as to why it would block access for all other devices? Networks aren't my area but would be interested for future reference as to why this would happen.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Difficult to say but after a possible power surge the tp-link may be flooding the 2.4GHz/5GHz frequencies with unregulated signals. Use a wifi analyser to see if you spot unusual activity after powering on the ac1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You reset the 1200. Its now issuing DHCP and acting as DG, thus taking your network offline. You need to configure it back to being an AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Apologies for the late reply. Eventually got it working again last night. Not entirely sure how to be honest. Brought the whole system offline again and again added devices one by one with the 1200 last. Before reconnecting it I again did a reset and this time round after connecting and pairing it asked for the password which was the factory default instead of the password I set on initial setup a few years back. It didn't ask for that the first time, should have copped from that that something was wrong. Was on my lunchbreak though so kinda in a hurry to get back to work.

Input the factory password and voila, everything else remained stable and the 1200 now has internet access. All I can think of is the reset didn't work correctly the first time round and as you mentioned Ed E it was now acting as the DG.

Second reset seems to have reconfigured it correctly but good to know for future reference.

Thanks again, appreciate the input

Advertisement