If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV and soundbar options

Options
  • 16-10-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I currently have a 13 year old 37 inch Panasonic plasma which is still going strong.

However my Monitor ASB-2 soundbar is driving me crazy. In the last couple of years it has been randomly switching itself to Airplay mode when we are using other inputs. It seems to be getting worse and worse and I’ve had enough!

I don’t want to replace a perfectly working tv but it seems my options are very limited given that it only has 2 hdmi ports and no ARC support and most soundbar only have 1 or 2 hdmi ports. I have a sky q box, PS4, switch and chromecast connected at the moment.

Anyway, I’ve done some very rough research and like the look of the Samsung 50tu8500 and maybe the Yamaha yas207 or Sonos beam.

Will I be missing out on anything with that setup? Anything they won’t be able to handle in the near future?

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi guys

I currently have a 13 year old 37 inch Panasonic plasma which is still going strong.

However my Monitor ASB-2 soundbar is driving me crazy. In the last couple of years it has been randomly switching itself to Airplay mode when we are using other inputs. It seems to be getting worse and worse and I’ve had enough!

I don’t want to replace a perfectly working tv but it seems my options are very limited given that it only has 2 hdmi ports and no ARC support and most soundbar only have 1 or 2 hdmi ports. I have a sky q box, PS4, switch and chromecast connected at the moment.

Anyway, I’ve done some very rough research and like the look of the Samsung 50tu8500 and maybe the Yamaha yas207 or Sonos beam.

Will I be missing out on anything with that setup? Anything they won’t be able to handle in the near future?

Thanks
    Hi NiallDinho.

Thanks for coming back to us.

The 50TU8500 has been very popular and has ran out of stock.
    They are due back in and we already have 5 orders to fulfil once they do land.
    The TU8500 is packaged with features and apps and pretty much has everything you would need.

Of course there is no issue in adding you to the list but I'm just not 100% sure when they are due to arrive. (Hopefully before the end of the month - We have two dates listed but it just depends how many arrive)

Between the 2 soundbars the Sonos has more features but the YAS207 comes with a wireless sub for more bass and was also best soundbar under £300 in What HiFi.

The only thing you would be missing out on for the future would be 4K/120Hz for the likes of the new PS5 or XBox.
    However to get this you need to go OLED and they start around £1199.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi NiallDinho.

The TU8500 is packaged with features and apps and pretty much has everything you would need.

Of course there is no issue in adding you to the list but I'm just not 100% sure when they are due to arrive. (Hopefully before the end of the month - We have two dates listed but it just depends how many arrive)

Between the 2 soundbars the Sonos has more features but the YAS207 comes with a wireless sub for more bass and was also best soundbar under £300 in What HiFi.

The only thing you would be missing out on for the future would be 4K/120Hz for the likes of the new PS5 or XBox.

Kenny.

Thanks for the info Kenny.

I won’t go for the wait list just yet. I might hold off and see if Black Friday has any offers.

Hi NiallDinho.

Kenny.

Thanks for the info Kenny.

I won’t go for the wait list just yet. I might hold off and see if Black Friday has any offers.
    No problem at all Nialldinho.

Keep your eye on our website closer to Black Friday and the deals will appear on there.

If anything catches your eye please let us know.

Kenny.

Hi Kenny

I’ve been thinking about it and now feel I should go for an OLED. So I’m looking at the LG 55CX. And may have to put off getting a soundbar for a while.

What do you think stock will be like for the CX around Black Friday?

Thanks

Hi Kenny

I’ve been thinking about it and now feel I should go for an OLED. So I’m looking at the LG 55CX. And may have to put off getting a soundbar for a while.

What do you think stock will be like for the CX around Black Friday?

Thanks
    Hi nialldinho,

Thanks for getting back to us!

It's hard to know about the stock levels at the moment! I would hope we have them available for Black Friday but I'm not able to guarantee it 100% at the moment with the way stock is across the board! If you check in a couple of weeks before hand we should have a better idea of the stock levels!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi guys

I’m hoping to order the CX55 tomorrow or next week.

I’m going to hold off on the soundbar for now and see if the Monitor ASB-2 will play nice with the new tv.

Do you have any way of checking if it can be controlled with the LG remote?

And am I missing out on anything significant by sticking with an old soundbar like that?

Thanks again

Hi guys

I’m hoping to order the CX55 tomorrow or next week.

I’m going to hold off on the soundbar for now and see if the Monitor ASB-2 will play nice with the new tv.

Do you have any way of checking if it can be controlled with the LG remote?

And am I missing out on anything significant by sticking with an old soundbar like that?

Thanks again
    Hi nialldinho,

The ASB2 can be controlled with a TV remote!

The only think you'd be missing would be something like Dolby Atmos which does sound fantastic! You would be looking atound the 1000 euro mark for a good Atmos Soundbar though!

Kind regards

David

Hi nialldinho,

The only think you'd be missing would be something like Dolby Atmos which does sound fantastic! You would be looking atound the 1000 euro mark for a good Atmos Soundbar though!

Kind regards

David

Ok I will definitely be holding off on the soundbar then!

Thanks for the info as always

Hi nialldinho,

Kind regards

David

Ok I will definitely be holding off on the soundbar then!

Thanks for the info as always
    No problem at all Nialldinho.

If you have any further questions please let us know :)

Kenny.

Hi guys

Just placed my order for the CX 55. Can’t wait to get it now.

I have also emailed separately about recycling an old tv.

Thanks very much for all the help so far

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi guys

Just placed my order for the CX 55. Can’t wait to get it now.

I have also emailed separately about recycling an old tv.

Thanks very much for all the help so far
    Hi Nialldinho.

Thanks for placing the order :)

If you drop me the name you purchased under I can look after it myself and get it dispatched ASAP.

Hi Nialldinho.

If you drop me the name you purchased under I can look after it myself and get it dispatched ASAP.

Thanks Kenny. Just sent you a PM

Hi Nialldinho.

Thanks Kenny. Just sent you a PM
    Cheers Nialldinho.

I'll drop you one back once it gets dispatched :)

Hi Kenny

The tv just arrived. Can’t wait to get it up and running now.

Are there any settings you recommend? Will be using sky q, PS4, switch and the built-in streaming apps.

Thanks a mil

Hi Kenny

The tv just arrived. Can’t wait to get it up and running now.

Are there any settings you recommend? Will be using sky q, PS4, switch and the built-in streaming apps.

Thanks a mil
    Hi Nialldinho.

Excellent that your order has arrived :)

The best thing to do for settings is to put on a movie or game that you know and just go over each setting to see which suit best.
    There are tones of settings to play with and each person has their own way they prefer their image.

Let me know your thoughts once you have got things up and running and if you have any other questions please let me know.

Hi guys

Got the CX set up yesterday but having problems.

I have the following:
    Sky Q mini box in hdmi 1
    Monitor ASB-2 in hdmi 2 arc
    PS4 in hdmi 3
    Nintendo switch in hdmi 4

Sometimes the inputs are black with no picture or audio. The devices are detected but not displaying. There is no “No signal” message and the screensaver doesn’t kick in.

Other times the input the tv is set to will work but if I change to another one they all go to black again.

Thanks

Hi guys

Got the CX set up yesterday but having problems.

I have the following:
    Sky Q mini box in hdmi 1
    Monitor ASB-2 in hdmi 2 arc
    PS4 in hdmi 3
    Nintendo switch in hdmi 4

Sometimes the inputs are black with no picture or audio. The devices are detected but not displaying. There is no “No signal” message and the screensaver doesn’t kick in.

Other times the input the tv is set to will work but if I change to another one they all go to black again.

Thanks
    Hi nialldinho,

That is a strange one.

What HDMI cables are you using and are using between sources and the TV? It sounds like a handshake issue somewhere along the line. The first thing I would do is remove the soundbar from the TV to see if this improves things. If not we could try replacing the cables to see if that makes a difference!

Let me know how you get on removing the soundbar though and we'll see what we can do from there!

Kind regards

David

Hi nialldinho,

That is a strange one.

What HDMI cables are you using and are using between sources and the TV? It sounds like a handshake issue somewhere along the line. The first thing I would do is remove the soundbar from the TV to see if this improves things. If not we could try replacing the cables to see if that makes a difference!

Let me know how you get on removing the soundbar though and we'll see what we can do from there!

Kind regards

David

Hi David

I’ve actually been playing around and got as far as removing the soundbar. All seems ok with the other inputs. I can go back and forth between them with no issue.

So it does seem like an issue with the arc to soundbar. I have a hdmi cable here that says “High Speed hdmi cable with Ethernet 32AWG E468040 (UL) TYPE CL2” on it. I’m going to connect the soundbar with it now and see what happens.

Hi David

I’ve actually been playing around and got as far as removing the soundbar. All seems ok with the other inputs. I can go back and forth between them with no issue.

So it does seem like an issue with the arc to soundbar. I have a hdmi cable here that says “High Speed hdmi cable with Ethernet 32AWG E468040 (UL) TYPE CL2” on it. I’m going to connect the soundbar with it now and see what happens.

Same problem with this cable.

I connected it to hdmi 2 and said yes to controlling volume with tv remote so simplink turned on.

I switched back and forth between sky box which was already and both were ok. Then I turned on the Nintendo and it came up ok too. However when I went back to hdmi 2 that caused the problem again and all inputs went to black. Turning tv on and off hasn’t helped so will probably need a factory reset.

Hi David

Same problem with this cable.

I connected it to hdmi 2 and said yes to controlling volume with tv remote so simplink turned on.

I switched back and forth between sky box which was already and both were ok. Then I turned on the Nintendo and it came up ok too. However when I went back to hdmi 2 that caused the problem again and all inputs went to black. Turning tv on and off hasn’t helped so will probably need a factory reset.
    Hi nialldinho,

Let me know how you get on with a factory reset! Hopefully it's a software issue that it fixes!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi David

Factory reset gets all inputs back to displaying but when adding the soundbar back in the issue happens again.

I’ve just done a factory reset with the soundbar disconnected. Sky, PS4 and Nintendo all set up and worked fine back and forth between them all. Turning each off and on too to make sure.

Connecting the soundbar again to hdmi 2 and allowing simplink for remote control messes it up again when switching between inputs. All go black again. Only a factory reset gets the inputs back.

So it’s definitely an issue between soundbar and tv on hdmi arc. But I don’t know what to do next.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Nialldinho,

if the issue only kicks in when your ASB-2 is connected it really does sounds like it may be a compatibility issue with the ASB-2 - the ASB-2 is a pretty early HDMi soundbar!

We will check with MA tech to see if they have any ideas - there is a firmware update for the ASB2 available here:
    https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/soundbars-subwoofers/asb-2/

Would also be worth checking this out in the first instance as I know that is the first Q they will ask when we contact them!

Also if you need a quick solution just drop us a line and we will send you out an optical cable Free of charge to eliminate the HDMI issue for you,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Nialldinho,

if the issue only kicks in when your ASB-2 is connected it really does sounds like it may be a compatibility issue with the ASB-2 - the ASB-2 is a pretty early HDMi soundbar!

We will check with MA tech to see if they have any ideas - there is a firmware update for the ASB2 available here:
    https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/soundbars-subwoofers/asb-2/

Would also be worth checking this out in the first instance as I know that is the first Q they will ask when we contact them!

Also if you need a quick solution just drop us a line and we will send you out an optical cable Free of charge to eliminate the HDMI issue for you,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks very much John. I actually tried an optical cable yesterday as I assumed I wouldn’t miss anything by using that instead of hdmi with the ASB-2. Unfortunately I couldn’t get any sound with it.

I’m pretty sure I’ve updated the firmware on it too. I actually sent monitor a mail last night. Hopefully between us we’ll hear something!

Would my original purchase of the ASB-2 in 2016 covered my your 6 year guarantee too?

Thanks

Hi Niall,

the 6 Year guarantee only covers TV ( in general terms - we do also include most Sonos products) but if you pop us a mail to sales@richersounds.ie with your details we can check if you purchased a 6 year at the time of purchase,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Niall,

the 6 Year guarantee only covers TV ( in general terms - we do also include most Sonos products) but if you pop us a mail to sales@richersounds.ie with your details we can check if you purchased a 6 year at the time of purchase,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks John. I definitely didn’t purchase it at the time - just wasn’t sure if it was included as with the TVs.

Actually scratch my post above - I've just found it and unfortunately no - there is no 6 year on it and the MA 3 year is also well expired - but I really think it is worth checking out the firmware as they are generally a reliable beast and of course awaiting update from your mail to MA..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi guys

I’m still loving the new LG CX. However when watching the Liverpool spurs game via amazon prime last night the picture quality was pretty poor. More SD than UHD.

I am using an Ethernet connection but have now read that a 5Ghz WiFi would be better due to limitations of the network card used in the TV. I already have a 5Ghz SSID broadcasting. The TV can see it but when I try to connect it doesn’t work. It says it could not establish connection to access point.

Have you come across this before? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi guys

I’m still loving the new LG CX. However when watching the Liverpool spurs game via amazon prime last night the picture quality was pretty poor. More SD than UHD.

I am using an Ethernet connection but have now read that a 5Ghz WiFi would be better due to limitations of the network card used in the TV. I already have a 5Ghz SSID broadcasting. The TV can see it but when I try to connect it doesn’t work. It says it could not establish connection to access point.

Have you come across this before? Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Hi nialldinho,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

It's not an issue I'm familiar with to be honest.

You could give LG a call directly to see if they know of any settings you can try - [font=arial, sans-serif]01 686 9454[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Let me know if you get anywhere with them![/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Kind regards[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]David[/font]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.