Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Kitchen - new floor before or after

• 16-10-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am getting a new kitchen fitted in the coming months, but I also need the floor replaced.

Get mixed messages re what should happen first!

If laminate - is it right that they should come after the kitchen?
    If tiles - they come before?

Or does it matter?

Advice appreciated!
    OG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Both can go down first that would be my preference. If there are any changes later on you can keep the tiles. However its down to cost a lot of the time. Some people wouldn't tile under a unit thinking they were wasting money. It is possible to tile just the floor area plus the tile that will be under the edge of the units provided you have accurate measurements in advance but that would normally be a common sense DIY job rather than a professional one.

Laminate should really go down first because you need to lay it up to the walls and leave a gap for expansion you don't want a gap all around the units.

If you intend to keep the tiles and possibly change the units later then tile the lot first.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Vita nova

In addition to the reasons mentioned directly above, if you tile/laminate the whole floor then you have the option of using either kickboards or fancy legs where you can see the floor under the units. It also makes cleaning much easier as there aren't drops where dirt and liquid can accumulate.
    Lastly it's much easier to tile a whole floor rather than around units, not just because of the amount of tile cutting required but also because you're working in an empty kitchen where you're less concerned with getting adhesive and dirt on everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I am getting a new kitchen fitted in the coming months, but I also need the floor replaced.

Get mixed messages re what should happen first!

If laminate - is it right that they should come after the kitchen?
    If tiles - they come before?

Or does it matter?

Advice appreciated!
    OG

Please don’t put laminate in a kitchen,speaking from experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Please don’t put laminate in a kitchen,speaking from experience!

Depends on the quality of the laminate surely. I know the cheap laminates can warp and bubble if you get a leak but good stuff fitted properly should be fine right?

Advertisement