Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU & PSU Advice

Options
  • 16-10-2020 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit on advice on graphics cards for a new build.

I have the following;
    NZXT H440
    Ryzen 5 3600X
    X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX CL16 3200 2x8GB RAM
    I'm hoping to use my old hard drive and I might get a SSD as well.

I will mainly be using it for the likes of COD Warzone, bit of Fifa etc

My existing system is a Intel I5 4440s with a GTX 1050ti and 2x8gb ram.
    Its a bit of a struggle at the moment, warzone has to be on low settings and fps around 50 but can drop during games.

Looking to spend about 400 for the GPU, but I'm not tied to that. Is buying secondhand worth it?
    Would it take a expensive GPU to play warzone on high settings?

I presume the PSU depends on the Graphics card I use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Would you be interested in a 2nd hand 1080Ti? I can throw in a Corsair 650W PSU, for a quick sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

old video gpu prices should drop 50% as NVidia cheaper better video cards come out also 25th October amd will bring out new cards to compete with NVidia

you will need to sit on the fence for few more months until other card prices drop the NVidia 3700 will come out end October for 500 dollars

salamiii wrote: »
    old video gpu prices should drop 50% as NVidia cheaper better video cards come out also 25th October amd will bring out new cards to compete with NVidia

you will need to sit on the fence for few more months until other card prices drop the NVidia 3700 will come out end October for 500 dollars

Bobby Gee, is this you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

JoyPad wrote: »
    Would you be interested in a 2nd hand 1080Ti? I can throw in a Corsair 650W PSU, for a quick sale.

I take it that it has no problem running at high settings? And that the 650w psu is plenty for it?
    I’ll definitely look into it but I’m about 3 weeks away from buying at the moment.

salamiii wrote: »

That’s a fairly big drop in prices.
    Are these new cards only going to cost 500?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,391 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That’s a fairly big drop in prices.
    Are these new cards only going to cost 500?

3070 and lower are almost sure to be under $500

I take it that it has no problem running at high settings? And that the 650w psu is plenty for it?
    I’ll definitely look into it but I’m about 3 weeks away from buying at the moment.

I've been very happy with this card. I upgraded to a 3090, hence the need for a beefier PSU. The 650W was plenty, but insufficient for the new GPU.
    It's a Corsair TX650M, which is a semi-modular PSU (the ATX cables are permanent, but PCIe and SATA are modular).

If I fail to get a good price for them, I'd rather keep them as backups.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I've been very happy with this card. I upgraded to a 3090, hence the need for a beefier PSU. The 650W was plenty, but insufficient for the new GPU.
    It's a Corsair TX650M, which is a semi-modular PSU (the ATX cables are permanent, but PCIe and SATA are modular).

If I fail to get a good price for them, I'd rather keep them as backups.

Oh yeah, I hear those founders cards have some pretty tough power spikes and need a bit of overhead. Which is fine, a beefy PSU for spikes 0.1% of the time will run more efficiently the rest of the time sitting on its more efficient places on its performance curve

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Overheal wrote: »
    3070 and lower are almost sure to be under $500

RTX 3070 has an MSRP of $499 in US so will be minimum of €530 when it reaches Europe; and availability will be suspect given the 3080's launch.

I'd take Joypad's offer.

Would the RX 5700 XT be a comparable option?
    Would there be much in the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Regarding Joypad's offer...

I've a mate who plays Modern Warfare on a Ryzen 3600 and a 1080Ti. He has a 2560x1080 monitor, so more pixels to drive than a regular 16:9 1080p monitor and he hovers around 110 fps maxed out all settings. The 1080Ti is a beast of a card and if you don't care about ray tracing, etc., should be a top consideration for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Would the RX 5700 XT be a comparable option?
    Would there be much in the difference?

RX 5700 XT is a bit slower than a 1080 Ti.

Big Navi will be detailed in 9 days so if you can wait...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    RX 5700 XT is a bit slower than a 1080 Ti.

Big Navi will be detailed in 9 days so if you can wait...

So is Big Navi still going to be a generation behind in the performance curve?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Overheal wrote: »
    So is Big Navi still going to be a generation behind in the performance curve?

5700xt is the previous generation AMD. Big Navi looks (from the leaks so far, unconfirmed of course) on track to compete with the 3070/3080 or somewhere in between

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wouldn't say last gen Navi was a generation behind either. It was only a mid range card never designed or priced to compete in the high end. The 5700xt competed with and beat the 2070 in both price and performance with the 5700 competing with and beating the 2060.

The supers versions slightly edged them out but they cost a fair bit more.

Regarding Joypad's offer...

I've a mate who plays Modern Warfare on a Ryzen 3600 and a 1080Ti. He has a 2560x1080 monitor, so more pixels to drive than a regular 16:9 1080p monitor and he hovers around 110 fps maxed out all settings. The 1080Ti is a beast of a card and if you don't care about ray tracing, etc., should be a top consideration for you.

Excellent and thanks.
    That gives me a good idea of what it’s like.

There’s a bit to take in if you haven’t being following graphics cards.

Advertisement