Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bathroom paint help please!

• 16-10-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

i've just had my bathroom refitted and need to paint part of the walls/ceiling. is there anything i need to be looking out for other than using bathroom specific paint? would kitchen paint have the same qualities with moisture resistance? there seems to be more options of colour for kitchen paint.

it will be applied to fresh (dry!) plaster, so am i right in thinking i don't need primer and just need 2 coats will do the trick?

i've been looking at the GoodHome brand, B&Qs own range of paint. does that come recommended generally or should i be looking at a better known brand? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Phil.x

amorgan wrote: »
    i've just had my bathroom refitted and need to paint part of the walls/ceiling. is there anything i need to be looking out for other than using bathroom specific paint? would kitchen paint have the same qualities with moisture resistance? there seems to be more options of colour for kitchen paint.

it will be applied to fresh (dry!) plaster, so am i right in thinking i don't need primer and just need 2 coats will do the trick?

i've been looking at the GoodHome brand, B&Qs own range of paint. does that come recommended generally or should i be looking at a better known brand? thanks!

Mix a bit of water into the first coat so it absorbs right in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Ceepo

If you're painting onto new plaster you should apply a base coat 1st. This can be a thinned out matt emulsion. You can also use matt emulsion on the ceiling. I would probably recommend a either a washable matt or soft sheen finish as they are both suitable and durable for bathrooms.. You don't have to have a specific bathroom paint, or kitchen paint. Most shops will mix whatever colour you choose. It doesn't have to be a colour bought "off the shelf"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭karlitob

Zinnser Permawhite. Have t used it myself but this lad recommends it.

https://oisinbutler.ie/whats-the-best-paint-for-your-home/

karlitob wrote: »
    Zinnser Permawhite. Have t used it myself but this lad recommends it.

https://oisinbutler.ie/whats-the-best-paint-for-your-home/

There is no need to use permawhite on a bathroom ceiling. As a said earlier matt emulsion on the ceiling is fine. In fact its way better as it allows for moisture absorption.
    Premawhite or soft sheen don't.
    The reason paint peals/flakes on bathroom ceiling is a ventilation issue. If you have moisture "stiiting" on the ceiling or walls it will soften and lift the paint off eventually

Ceepo wrote: »
    There is no need to use permawhite on a bathroom ceiling. As a said earlier matt emulsion on the ceiling is fine. In fact its way better as it allows for moisture absorption.
    Premawhite or soft sheen don't.
    The reason paint peals/flakes on bathroom ceiling is a ventilation issue. If you have moisture "stiiting" on the ceiling or walls it will soften and lift the paint off eventually

Just going by the expert. Not sure plan Matt emulsion is ‘way better’ than zinnser products built for bathrooms and kitchens.

• Advertisement

karlitob wrote: »
    Just going by the expert. Not sure plan Matt emulsion is ‘way better’ than zinnser products built for bathrooms and kitchens.

As someone who is professionally painting long before Zinnser products came on the market in Ireland , I'm confident enough to say Matt emulsion is better, for the reason outlined.
    I appreciate that the "expert" you linked to is entitled to his opinion, as he is about recommending Farrow and Ball paint, personally I hate using it, or that Colour trend washable matt only in pastle colours . But each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ceepo wrote: »
    As someone who is professionally painting long before Zinnser products came on the market in Ireland , I'm confident enough to say Matt emulsion is better, for the reason outlined.
    I appreciate that the "expert" you linked to is entitled to his opinion, as he is about recommending Farrow and Ball paint, personally I hate using it, or that Colour trend washable matt only in pastle colours . But each to their own

Why would a professional painter state that Zinnser permawhite is not as good as bog standard cheap matt, and "hate" using F&B / Colourtrend. Are you for real ? Only issue with permawhite is the viscosity is much lower that your favoured waterbased emulsion (meaning it has to be applied with care) but it's a far superior coating.

F&B is pricey alright but I'd love to know what your daily 'goto' matt wall paint is. In my opinion, F&B is a fantastic paint - great opacity and a superb finish - way ahead of the regular Dulux/Fleetwood/crown offerings. I find it a pleasure to work with. Colourtrend is up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

dodzy wrote: »
    Why would a professional painter state that Zinnser permawhite is not as good as bog standard cheap matt, and "hate" using F&B / Colourtrend. Are you for real ? Only issue with permawhite is the viscosity is much lower that your favoured waterbased emulsion (meaning it has to be applied with care) but it's a far superior coating.

F&B is pricey alright but I'd love to know what your daily 'goto' matt wall paint is. In my opinion, F&B is a fantastic paint - great opacity and a superb finish - way ahead of the regular Dulux/Fleetwood/crown offerings. I find it a pleasure to work with. Colourtrend is up there too.

+1 on zinnser, f&b and colourtrend, I used colourtrend for the first time last year and was delighted with the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I have to agree with you. Matte paint will stain because it is absorbent. The Zinsser will be a good primer and act as a barrier, and a good finish paint with some amount of gloss will be easier to clean over time.

Furthermore, if the Matte paint is not a high quality acrilyc, it will quickly have mildew, and bacterial stains build up. Even good quality paints don't always perform well under certain conditions.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I have to agree with you. Matte paint will stain because it is absorbent. The Zinsser will be a good primer and act as a barrier, and a good finish paint with some amount of gloss will be easier to clean over time.

Furthermore, if the Matte paint is not a high quality acrilyc, it will quickly have mildew, and bacterial stains build up. Even good quality paints don't always perform well under certain conditions.

Good to get a few other opinions. I wasn’t too far off the mark.
    I’ve used zinnser, F+B, colour trend, and dulux trade.
    Found the Dulux trade wasn’t as nice to work with and hasn’t held up as well as the f+b and colour trend. Though I imagine that’s to do with my skill and not the paint. I’ve learned a lot since then.

• Advertisement

Its great to see so many professional painters giving their expert opinion and advice.

I didn't say that I hate colortrend, if fact im a huge fan of it. Or i didn't say "bog standard" matt is a better product than permawhite. I said imo it was better for bathroom ceiling. As it is breathable and will allow moisture disperse.
    Products like permawhite or soft sheen finishes are not breathable and there for the moisture takes a lot longer to disperse. One of the problem with having moisture sitting for a period of time is, it can have a sofening effect which may cause the paint to bubble, or lift off the ceiling. When this dries it can cause the paint it crack. And this is why in a lot of cases people have pain pealing of their bathroom ceilings.

Regarding mould growth this is nearly always a ventilation issue unless cold bridging is involved. And no paint will prevent mould growth if you have poor ventilation and high humidity

My "go to" as you call it would be Colortrend. As for F&B as i say i dont like it, i personally dont think the coverage is good (opacity) in pastel colours and have an issues with shading (cutting in and rolling being different and even the nap direction of the roller with dark colours.
    Certainly not worth the money imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

F&B is pish. Great colour selection, awful paint

dok_golf wrote: »

That is interesting. Why do you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Coverage is appalling , adhesion not great either

dok_golf wrote: »

100% agree. The quality certainly doesn't match the premium prices.

Good to have a professionals input

Advertisement