Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPD create 700 jobs , how many lost ??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

NATLOR wrote: »
    I'm aware of the economics but if I can get a product abroad at 20%/ 30% less and delivered free to my door then that wins out all day long.

which is why Jeff Bezos is the CEO of a trillion dollar company.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And meanwhile An Post are snoozing.

In what way? Being housebound and living offshore where DPD/couriers venture not, I am reliant on mail order and on An Post..

Who now have an excellent Courier service. Look It up? I got an order this week from Dublin via An Post couriers. It arrived out here the morning after it was sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

NATLOR wrote:
    I'm aware of the economics but if I can get a product abroad at 20%/ 30% less and delivered free to my door then that wins out all day long.

You didn't get it delivered for free
    which is why Jeff Bezos is the CEO of a trillion dollar company.

concentration of wealth and the monopolisation of pre-existing markets, is good because.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    concentration of wealth and the monopolisation of pre-existing markets, is good because.......

Amazon were exempted from Sales Tax originally (in Ohio?) which is how they first got a competitive edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

growleaves wrote: »
    Amazon were exempted from Sales Tax originally (in Ohio?) which is how they first got a competitive edge.

theres nothing exactly competitive about that now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I worked in a very busy warehouse distribution center for over a year to pay the bills. I have the utmost respect for workers who do this kind of work. I found it personally to be one of the most mentally and physically draining jobs i had undertaken. I was working very hard for not enough money.

I remember i had to be aware every second of the day to do the work (there was driving the reach and forklift picking work) and there was a lot of manual on the ground work i had to do. Can very easily mess up a customer order if you lost concentration during the day. Keeping your mental concentration at peak performance for 8 to 10 hours a day when the mental and physical fatigue sets in is very difficult!

Regards this. A delivery driver out and about on the road, you are sitting down for most of your day until you drop of your goods to customer. The complaint from what i see here is the hours are long and that's fair enough complaint. Driving a van is not slave labour. The hardest part is making sure you recieve the right load and you get it to customers on time during the day.

You're not really sitting down all day, in a rural area you'd be delivering an average of around 8-10 parcels an hour. So best case scenario let's say 8 minutes per delivery. That's not 8 minutes driving, you're constantly in and out of the van. And btw, courier drivers for most companies unload the trailers themselves first thing in the morning, sort and load their own van
    It would be a great job if you just rocked up in the morning and drove your van out of the depot all sorted and loaded.

I usually now work 3 days a week because 5 was just too much, all I did was work and sleep. Of course I'll be on 5 or 6 day weeks now until the new year but it is what it is. I love the delivering part and have great customers. I really enjoy the run up to Christmas, as you have to be mindful of children being home and presents arriving - I've handed parcels through bedroom windows many times so that they're not seen. It's busy but you get into the Christmas spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Graces7 wrote: »
    And meanwhile An Post are snoozing.

In what way? Being housebound and living offshore where DPD/couriers venture not, I am reliant on mail order and on An Post..

Who now have an excellent Courier service. Look It up? I got an order this week from Dublin via An Post couriers. It arrived out here the morning after it was sent.

To be fair I was pleased with the price of An Post for sending what I thought was quite a heavy parcel to the UK lately and the speed it arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

had half thought of looking into the idea of working for DPD as im pretty bored of what i do this past number of years and saw it as a way of embracing the post covid economy of opportunities ( sorry if that sounds like a pile of **** ? )

id no idea how poor the hourly wage is , ive a pretty ropey back as well , not sure id be able to spend three hours every morning loading vans , the getting up at 5.30 part id be fine with if it was straight into driving

the driving and delivery part sounds appealing but thats clearly the easy part and only half of the work day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I bought a pair of football boots worth 100 euro lately on amazon, they have ripped after 3 games. I am currently trying to organize sending them back, it will cost 21 euro to post back and then it is up to the seller to see if I am entitled to get a replacement. I would have been way better off buying them in my local sports shop, they actually have them in stock. online shopping is a joke, you are far better off walking into your local shop.

This.

Additionally the idea that branded clothes and footwear are cheaper online is generally a myth, save for extreme sizes (tiny shoe sizes or XXXXL, as they are hard to shift) The high prices on the likes of ASOS compared to Lifestyle Sports, JD etc in your local shopping centre are staggering. I truly don't know how these businesses survive.

I've never used Amazon, or even looked at it, and I'm baffled as to what items I would ever need to buy off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    had half thought of looking into the idea of working for DPD as im pretty bored of what i do this past number of years and saw it as a way of embracing the post covid economy of opportunities ( sorry if that sounds like a pile of **** ? )

id no idea how poor the hourly wage is , ive a pretty ropey back as well , not sure id be able to spend three hours every morning loading vans , the getting up at 5.30 part id be fine with if it was straight into driving

the driving and delivery part sounds appealing but thats clearly the easy part and only half of the work day ?

I've covered holidays for UPS/nightline and meet the courier out on the road, he starts at 6.30 and it's all sorted into their bays for them, not just at this busy time or year. But I don't know if they employ drivers or if they are all self employed owner drivers, which he is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement