Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plasterboard help

Options
  • 17-10-2020 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,

About to plasterboard a stud wall under my stairs (cloakroom WC). As you can see there is a lip of the stairway protruding past the studs..deliberately to allow plasterboard and skim. Call it poor planning or just a wonky stairs but I incorrectly assumed the protruding edgeswas same distance from the studs all the way down...of course it is not. It goes from a 23mm protrusion down to about 18.5/19mm.

Thinking it was 23 mm the whole way down I had planned to do a double layer or 9.5mm plasterboard leaving about 4mm for skim coat and was happy with that.

Now I'm stuck, two layers of 9.5 would finish flush or marginally beyond the stairs protrusion at that end leaving no room for skim coat without creating a 'step' the depth of the skim? But the alternative of 12.5mm single PB layer the whole way means a 10.5mm gap at the near end.

Whats worse or whats easier to patch up at one end? a plaster skim coat overshooting the surrounding walls by 2/3mm or having a big gap to fill with skim coat (or bonding plaster+skim?)

maybe i go get thin sheets MDF or something and the sort of shim accordingly? must be an better way

Attached image show what im talking about

Im sure there are plenty of tricks of the trade that would point one way or the other but I dont know enough about finishing walls to know the obvious answer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I'd go with shimming - and a single sheet thick - 2 to 3 mm only of skim.

“Roll it back”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

i would use the space to store things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

salamiii wrote: »
    i would use the space to store things

Yes, this - I know someone got a 4 drawer one of these - cost 600 euros fitted - but its really nice - they have a flat pack version that might be cheaper.

https://smartstorage.ie/under-stairs/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 22 freewilli88

sorry i shoul have mentioned thats exactly what i am doing with that space aferwards, creating pull out storage. The gap issue is just along the length of wall between to two scribbles in that photo. there's still another 4 feet or so of storage space not showing in the photo.

So with a single layer of 12.5 you think shim to a steady 2/3 back from the stairs is the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Woodie.ie

sorry i shoul have mentioned thats exactly what i am doing with that space aferwards, creating pull out storage. The gap issue is just along the length of wall between to two scribbles in that photo. there's still another 4 feet or so of storage space not showing in the photo.

So with a single layer of 12.5 you think shim to a steady 2/3 back from the stairs is the best option?
    Yeah go with that, as a plasterer the last thing you want is plasterboard flush or protruding because there is nothing that can be done with it, an extra few mm of skim is always the way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement