Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell G5 or HP Omen

• 17-10-2020 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

I got a deal through Dell outlet- their top spec G5 with i7, 1tb SSD, NVIDIA 2070 at a price of 1,100 (normally 1650).

Their was a problem finalising the order so this is due to happen next week.

In the meantime I’ve been seeing horror stories and poor reviews about this generation of G5, that they get extremely hot, have issues with overclocking CPU, fans running when CPU barely on etc.

I’ve seen good reviews of the HP Omen. Supposed to be really well designed, good quality (equivalent time Alienware) and I could get an i5 with RTX 2060 for 1300.

Anyone got advice on which is the better option here? You’ll always get people who had problems so I don’t want to rush into a decision on the Dell; it does still seem like a good deal.

Thanks,

Comments

comerla wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a deal through Dell outlet- their top spec G5 with i7, 1tb SSD, NVIDIA 2070 at a price of 1,100 (normally 1650).

Their was a problem finalising the order so this is due to happen next week.

In the meantime I’ve been seeing horror stories and poor reviews about this generation of G5, that they get extremely hot, have issues with overclocking CPU, fans running when CPU barely on etc.

I’ve seen good reviews of the HP Omen. Supposed to be really well designed, good quality (equivalent time Alienware) and I could get an i5 with RTX 2060 for 1300.

Anyone got advice on which is the better option here? You’ll always get people who had problems so I don’t want to rush into a decision on the Dell; it does still seem like a good deal.

Thanks,

That's a good deal for the spec.

Do you have any return leeway within 14 days etc?

What do you mean about overclocking? You don't typically overclock laptop cpus

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭comerla

Hey Glasso. That should have read CPU throttling as detailed here: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/G5-5500-Complete-list-of-issues-I-ve-had-with-this-laptop/td-p/7677362

The Dell rep did say it will be fully supported and we can return if not happy. Della support is supposed to be good.

well I would take it, apply the latest bios updates and drivers, then see if it runs ok for you if you have the option to return.

if possible get an email or screen capture of the webchat saying that a return is possible for bad throttling issues.

test it on various games etc at different settings (including high/demanding ones) over periods of say 1 hour sustained gaming use. use a small fps counter program to monitor fps and cpu temps

any issues should be apparent from the start - it's not something that would appear after 6 months.

if the issues prevent you from using it correctly then send it back but if it's ok and doesn't happen or is not serious (there is always temp control in laptops)

got it on uk dell outlet?

Yeah - I called Dell on the Irish number and they suggested I shop from the UK site and they price in Euro transfer across to the Irish one for you. They have 4 more of these G5 5500 available now. You get an additional 10% off as a first time customer also.

The only other thing that is making me pause is potential black Friday deals but I cant see myself getting a better deal than this.

you won't get that spec (nvidia 2070) for 1100 even black friday.

lowest 1350 I would say and even then probably more

I'd take it and test it out - again once you are sure that you can return if major issues.

so you had to get delivered through parcel motel / other redirect due to UK site?

• Advertisement

No I'll be buying from Dell Ireland. The rep transferred the stock to the Irish Dell entity (from the UK one) on Friday but there was a glitch and we couldnt close fully.

There is loads of stock on the Irish one too.

I hadnt mentioned - these are scratch and dent. From what I've read these are generally pristine - and are not necessarily damaged. the rep told me if I'm not happy with the condition I can return it.

Quick update on this: the G5 was received today. The only imperfection I can see on it is a very slight scratch you need to look hard for. Feels like I might have gotten a bargain.Will be testing this as much as I can before putting away until Christmas.

A2331-E91-5-E2-B-4359-98-F6-A7-F8850-C6-D33.jpg

yes they are usually very superficial.

make sure to test for bad throttling

if it's not too bad I'd keep it

Advertisement