Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPad Air for Christmas

Options
  • 17-10-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

My 13 year old daughter has her eye on an iPad Air for Christmas.

Will mostly be used for all the fun stuff e.g YouTube, Netflix etc but also for art and school work so Ms office will be important.

I'll pick up the Apple Pen and some sort of keyboard etc preferably the Smart one.

I think I'll get the 256 GB model.

Any thoughts on best place to buy online that has a good chance of delivery before Xmas? Also any suggestions on any special offers if you were to buy iPad, keyboard and pen together? Final question latest version or an older version?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Neames wrote: »
    My 13 year old daughter has her eye on an iPad Air for Christmas.

Will mostly be used for all the fun stuff e.g YouTube, Netflix etc but also for art and school work so Ms office will be important.

I'll pick up the Apple Pen and some sort of keyboard etc preferably the Smart one.

I think I'll get the 256 GB model.

Any thoughts on best place to buy online that has a good chance of delivery before Xmas? Also any suggestions on any special offers if you were to buy iPad, keyboard and pen together? Final question latest version or an older version?

Folks

Just giving this a bump and also to day that I'd prefer to purchase from a site in Ireland. It's a fair outlay and I've never bought apple before so any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

I've bought a lot of Apple equipment over the years - generally from Apple.ie website but in the last couple of years I've moved to using Mactivate (who are based in Blanchardstown) and CompuB.

Both are brick and mortar Irish HQ'd businesses.

I'd have nothing but positive things to say about both - I generally use whichever one had the right stock available (there's generally no difference in price or support).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I would just get them off Apple as you can trust their delivery dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My tuppence worth is that a 13 year old is not going to appreciate the difference between the iPad Air and the 'regular' iPad. Save yourself €250 and get the new 8th Gen iPad. It also works with a pencil and keyboard and you will get all three for the price of the Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

I recently picked up the 7th Gen iPad and pencil for my 11yr old from Littlewoods. It was the best price for that model and works with the pencil. I’d recommend the original iPad for that age and for what it will be used for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Doodah7 wrote: »
    My tuppence worth is that a 13 year old is not going to appreciate the difference between the iPad Air and the 'regular' iPad. Save yourself €250 and get the new 8th Gen iPad. It also works with a pencil and keyboard and you will get all three for the price of the Air.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions,

Thanks to you too Doodah, I'm going to go with your suggestion. It was going well over a grand for all 3 with the iPad Air.

I'm going to get the iPad (128GB) with pencil and keyboard. Coming in much cheaper.

Final question - am I better off waiting until Black Friday to order and save even more money? Going to order from apple directly I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Apple don't really reduce prices on black friday but they usually offer something like a 50 euro gift card

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭VanHalen

I agree with Pacifico. Black Friday and Apple are usually nothing special. I dont remember any great offer last year and the previous year they offered a €50 gift card with the phone I bought. I ended up buying a phone stand at €85 to use it so the free gift card cost me €35 in the end.
    I’d question why you wouldn’t go for the 32gb model for your daughter. Unless she’s going to be downloading videos (most kids stream these days) then you’re paying for storage you won’t need.
    Also it’s tempting to avail of the “free engraving” if you purchase from Apple and get say her name engraved on the back. Bear in mind that this would make it impossible to trade in to CEX if you decide to replace it in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

If its going to be used for art buy the procreate app. Its brilliant for drawing and designing and works flawlessly with the apple pencil. Very good value for he price I think its 12.99 check it out on YouTube lots of tutorials etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Got my mother in law an ipad air, to upgrade from her ancient ipad. Am looking to hopefully restore via PC, but the included USB C cable doesn't have a standard USB port to wodge into my laptop.

Any reason why this wouldn't do the job?

http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=5027136

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

the corpo wrote: »
    Got my mother in law an ipad air, to upgrade from her ancient ipad. Am looking to hopefully restore via PC, but the included USB C cable doesn't have a standard USB port to wodge into my laptop.

Any reason why this wouldn't do the job?

http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=5027136

Yeah, that will work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Yeah, that will work
    Thanks!

Advertisement